Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2018, 05:29   #31

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Re: Trident propane false alarms

I ended up installing this detector kit but I got an unopened one on ebay for about half the price. As per Trident's advice I reused the existing solenoid (as well as the hose, fittings and wiring). It was very easy and I'm very happy having a newer and presumably more reliable unit. As I posted above, the only times it has gone off so far (besides testing) is when some crew had trouble lighting the stove and let some gas escape. It seems to be pretty sensitive and I had to air it out well past smellable-levels to get the alarm to stop.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:49   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I ended up installing this detector kit but I got an unopened one on ebay for about half the price. As per Trident's advice I reused the existing solenoid (as well as the hose, fittings and wiring). It was very easy and I'm very happy having a newer and presumably more reliable unit. As I posted above, the only times it has gone off so far (besides testing) is when some crew had trouble lighting the stove and let some gas escape. It seems to be pretty sensitive and I had to air it out well past smellable-levels to get the alarm to stop.
I have this same kit on my boat, and I get false alarms all the time. I even bought a separate propane detector, and sniffed around the stove while the alarm was going off, the new detector didn't find anything. Previous owner said the same thing to me that others on this thread have said, get a new sensor, apparently they don't last too long (reliably). I might try taking it apart and cleaning it first.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:04   #33

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
Diesel fumes will send off mine. Any spilled flammable liquid seems to set them off.
They also can be set off by dog farts.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:05   #34

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Since this is a safety system and your life could depend on it, I would steer away from eBay unless you can be sure that you are buying brand new OEM parts.

Cleaning the sensor may or may not stop it from alarming but are you sure it still works as designed? You might have just killed it.

The safest thing to do is replace it. The same brand would be the easiest but another brand would work if it's easier to find.

And if you're not sure you can do this correctly, pay someone who can. You don't want to wake up dead one morning.
These things are but one layer in a larger approach to safety, and are easy to test.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, propane