Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 03:51   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Toy Bilge Pumps?

I just installed a Whale Supersub 1100 smart bilge pump with a non-return valve, to prevent a recurrence of my bilge pump cycling problem which killed my batts last year.

Boy is it tiny, light, seemingly insubstantial - sort of toy-like, compared to the Rule one it replaced. I know it's late to be asking this, but do these things hold up?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:47   #2

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: Toy Bilge Pumps?

It's probably more like a Whale 100 (one hundred) especially with the non return valve.

If you are just trying to keep misc water out of the bilge it may be fine if it doesn't have to run much.

I'm not sure I would count on it for real damage control..but then I don't trust most electric recreational 12V bilge pumps to come anywhere near their ratings, last long or not catch fire...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:52   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Guess it all depends on how often, if ever, it runs.

Being a ex-pump engineer guy; it probably never comes down to the pump itself. it's the motor and would bet most bilge pump motors are pretty much the same as to construction for a given power rating. The biggest thing that kills motors is rapid start/stops and the worst case is when the leakage in is half of the pump capacity.. Some auto pumps have the start/stop so close together combined with a small sump that the motors just beat themselves.

But then if a bilge pump is running than once a day there is a bigger problem to me.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:01   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Small light pumps are OK for intermittent work. The fine Rule / Jonson pumps will have stronger motors and better materials / design - these are better for emergency pumps.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:09   #5

Boat: Irwin 40

I know this does not really answer the question and I hope it does not cause thread drift but keep in mind a check (or non-return) valve in the outlet can reduce the pump capacity by as much as 50%. There are better ways to correct cycling, such as a small loop in the hose or adjusting the placement of the float switch
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:39   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Whilst the Open Flow Rate is specified at 1050 US Gal/Hr (66 l/min), the more realistic rate @ 3 Feet (1m) of head is only 750 US Gal/Hr (47 l/min). Any decrease from the nominal 13.0 VDC input will impose further reductions, as will the installation of a check valve, use of corrugated hose, & etc.

On the positive side, they do specify tinned Cu. leads, & "Soft" Start/Stop.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:49   #7

I recently installed a SuperSub 1100, but without a non-return valve. The pump has a joker valve built in. My tests have shown it to be ok in preventing water return into the bilge. Once debris gets in there, things will change.

I installed it as a "dry" pump to help keep the bilge dry. The SuperSub is the ideal shape to get to the very bottom of the bilge (in my case).

I have higher capacity, more robust pumps for "crash" pumps.

But yes, the construction of these small pumps seems a bit flimsy.
westsail42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:46   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsail42
I recently installed a SuperSub 1100, but without a non-return valve. The pump has a joker valve built in. My tests have shown it to be ok in preventing water return into the bilge. Once debris gets in there, things will change.

I installed it as a "dry" pump to help keep the bilge dry. The SuperSub is the ideal shape to get to the very bottom of the bilge (in my case).

I have higher capacity, more robust pumps for "crash" pumps.

But yes, the construction of these small pumps seems a bit flimsy.
Yes, I'm using the built in joker as a non-return.

Mine is installed like yours, as a maintenance pump. It replaced a Rule 1350 which had been the sole electric bilge pump on board. A couple of years ago I installed a big Rule 3500 discharging through a new 2" line and new through hull as the primary pump. The big Rule has no non-return and killed my battery bank last year when it got started to start and stop continuously, re-pumping over and over again the water in the big 2" line
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Yes, I'm using the built in joker as a non-return.

Mine is installed like yours, as a maintenance pump. It replaced a Rule 1350 which had been the sole electric bilge pump on board. A couple of years ago I installed a big Rule 3500 discharging through a new 2" line and new through hull as the primary pump. The big Rule has no non-return and killed my battery bank last year when it got started to start and stop continuously, re-pumping over and over again the water in the big 2" line
Been there done that! LOL. Yeah, I did the exact same thing on my initial pump installation. That is what prompted the second "dry" pump. The crash pump float switches are slightly elevated to act as the "second line of defense".

FWIW here are the sordid details
westsail42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:29   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

I also have one of those Whale Supersub 1100 in my main bilge. It has worked fine for a couple of years now. I needed something "low profile" to fit down underneath hoses and other stuff and this one fit perfectly. I have had to clean it once when "cat hair" and other debris clogged the little screen on the end.

But it is being used as the "maintenance" bilge pump - that is, it is there to pump out water from intentional purposes like cleaning or minor amounts like from air conditioners. I have a large high capacity electric bilge pump set on an elevated pump switch that turns on if excessive water is flooding the bilge that the little pump cannot handle.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump