Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2019, 00:27   #1

Boat: Adams 35
Too many througholes?

Working my way through a refurb' and I am replacing 30 year old plastic sea cocks. I am concerned I have too many. The photo shows 5 different ones. Can't do much about engine intake however:
1. Can the galley through hole come off the engine intake or should I not interfere with engine intake?
2. I have a port and starboard drain hole. I can see little function when they drain to lowest part of hull. Is this normal?
3. Lastly there is the throughhole to an outlet next to steering column. I assume there was a pump there to "wash the cockpit"? Is this needed? There is a photo of this connector attached.
I am currently welding a patch over plug hole that once held a paddle wheel speed sensor so can take other others while I am at if I can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cockpit.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	187606   Click image for larger version

Name:	throughannot.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	187607  

Astro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:36   #2

Re: Too many througholes?

Is that an Alu sailboat? Good to see someone doing a proper refit on a metal boat. Make sure you put good coats on the interior.

I have 8 thru-hulls. 2 - nav equipment, 1 - engine, 1 - head, 2 - galley (intake/drain), 2 - cockpit. They should all be separate. 2 for the cockpit is important because when it is rough and waves are crashing over the deck the cockpit can fill up quickly and needs to drain quickly and the bilge pumps will also drain through these. Also in case one gets plugged. Make sure you use good quality. Are you planning on a composting toilet? or you haven't found it yet since you don't indicate one.
mat jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:50   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro2 View Post
1. Can the galley through hole come off the engine intake or should I not interfere with engine intake?
2. I have a port and starboard drain hole. I can see little function when they drain to lowest part of hull. Is this normal?
3. Lastly there is the throughhole to an outlet next to steering column. I assume there was a pump there to "wash the cockpit"? Is this needed? There is a photo of this connector attached.
I am currently welding a patch over plug hole that once held a paddle wheel speed sensor so can take other others while I am at if I can.
1. Since the engine "sucks" the water, is there a risk that it might suck air down from the galley tap instead?

2. Yes, for when under sail on port and starboard tacks.

3. We have one of those which connects to a small auto bilge pump. If it goes off and pumps water the crew get wet feet and therefore hopefully might investigate what is going on.

What would be interesting is if you did some destructive testing on the 30 yr old plastic valves to see if they are still serviceable or have at least some strength. That would make a really good article as they are becoming more popular with so much fake bronze around.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:14   #4

Great input from both of you. Yes Aluminum. The head is behind in photo with its own sea cocks. I will get to that but not to composting. Currently a manual Jabsco. I will fit a holding tank and macerator after the painting and I cannot see me getting to that for a few months. I am intending using Marelon through hulls.

mat jam - what did you mean by "Make sure you put good coats on the interior". The interior will be covered with various woods. The only covering will be a layer of insulation between hull and lining.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:34   #5

The biggest issue with metal boats (Alu/steel) is condensation and water causing corrosion because it has nowhere to go. Water will always get inside either from a leaking hose or when you are changing things out, a wave pouring water through a port or companionway, etc. I considered buying a metal boat but only if I could rip the interior out and check the interior metal condition and then to prepare and coat the hell out of the interior.
Make sure to use plastic tanks. Also be careful where and who you anchor next to because all the protective measures you use will not help when the stray current comes from the next boat over or the marina. There was a new Alu boat here in my yard that lost half its hull thickness in a week from a stray current and he had all the preventive gear.
mat jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:42   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

An amateur can very quickly destroy an aluminum hull through poor building techniques, poor material choices and improper electrical systems.
I suggest you consider finding someone with vast marine aluminum/electrical/corrosion experience to guide you through these pitfalls.
Old 10-03-2019, 23:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
1. Since the engine "sucks" the water, is there a risk that it might suck air down from the galley tap instead?

2. Yes, for when under sail on port and starboard tacks.

3. We have one of those which connects to a small auto bilge pump. If it goes off and pumps water the crew get wet feet and therefore hopefully might investigate what is going on.

What would be interesting is if you did some destructive testing on the 30 yr old plastic valves to see if they are still serviceable or have at least some strength. That would make a really good article as they are becoming more popular with so much fake bronze around.

Pete
3. That would make sense about the pump but the large diameter pump connects directly to the the through hole in the hull. No place for a bilge pump. The pump can only be up on deck on the screw filling meaning you are pumping water to the deck possibly to a hose. Is that what you have? Is there a need for this?