Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2010, 17:38   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Anything that has wet strength probably has nylon or other synthetic threads in it. Usually will pump through the head fine but will hang up on a macerator like in a LectraSan, etc. Also may prove to be an immovable lump in a holding tank. Single Ply tissue is usually synthetic free, double ply or ultra soft may not be.

4th the endorsement of the Raritan PHII. Had one on our previous boat that we lived aboard and cruised on for four years and owned for 10. Never a problem except calcification of the overboard discharge hose which had nothing to do with the toilet other than thats where the piss that caused the calcification came from. Installed PHII on my current boat as soon as I could and it's also working fine though not nearly as heavily used.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 17:59   #32

Boat: Piver Victress
Use environmentally sourced, unbleached & recycled TP ... it dissolves in water so, along with anything else biodegradable... it goes OVERBOARD ... just not in harbours or anchorages when it is bagged & taken ashore ...
svtadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 18:11   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Let me start right off by apologizing for discussing a subject some may not feel comfortable with.
Just to be clear no one that has ever had to take a head apart due to something that shouldn't have been put in the head in the first will feel uncomfortable about the discussion here. We all need to understand the limits of what can pass and what can't. I did dodge the bullet on a baby wipe in a macerating head. Clueless admiral meets baby wipe and the result was a narrow victory for the skipper. No disassembly required but it didn't flush right for a few days so the aggravation factor was high for an extended period. Advice about "don't go there " sums it up. Inspect all carry on baggage before you leave the dock! Never ever had a problem with paper of any type. There is an extensive list of things that can't go down the head. It's best to state the complete list of what can be flushed (short as it may be) and emphasize everything else is a punishable offense.

The biggest problem is lots of poop with lots of paper. Sometimes you need to flush half way through. Try and explain that to guests. You just have to explain it and emphasize you would never have brought it up privately except to prevent a ship wide conversation should the incident arise. Be sure they all understand you will name names. Not everyone that really is full of it can be sorted out in advance of the trip. Friends and family are the worst offenders.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 18:40   #34
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Having worked in a couple shipyards with foreign workers...It was disgusting to see the used toilet paper next to the shore toilets.

Apparently Americans are the only people that that flush toilet paper.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 19:23   #35
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

rg-
There's a lot of variation in toilet papers. The real test is to buy a roll, take off ONE SQUARE, and place it in a bowl or glass of water overnight. Many brands stay intact, some will turn into dust in the bottom of the bowl. Those are the brands you want for a boat. Some of them are also advertised or labelled as "safe for septic tanks" because of the same issue, they need to dissolve instead of staying clumped.

Out of the ones that fall apart rapidly in water...then you choose your favorite for all the other reasons.

Of course even with a top-line landlubber toilet, if you throw too much paper in at once--it WILL CLOG. Making a point of "only x sheets, only x times, THEN PUMP XX TIMES" really does help.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 19:55   #36

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I always briefed the guests on board during the demonstration of how to operate the marine head that the rule is "3 times 3 equals 9."
- - Three squares of TP per wipe; 3 wipes; and then 9 pumps of the handle.
- - The real horror is getting one of those guests whose toilet procedures mimics the ancient Egyptians. For some unknown reason they must use half a roll of TP and wrap their hand as if they were getting ready to be mummified and put in the tomb of a pyramid. Needless to say those folks stay on shore unless it is only a short daysail.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 20:33   #37

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
Apparently Americans are the only people that that flush toilet paper.
You're shittin' me (or should that be ********)

Australians flush toilet paper, and they did from what I could gather most asian and pacific nations I have been to at least if they had a western style toilet.

Never saw a bin with "place paper here" on it anyway.
Old 14-09-2010, 04:34   #38

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
I marvel at those who say used toilet paper is repulsive or disgusting, what do you suppose the surface it just left looks like? Even if your butt were made of the smoothest china porcelain or polished stainless steel, and it isn't, and your butt were as smooth as glass, and it isn't, ( please no photographs ) wiping it with paper is not going to get it clean.
Try taking a peanut butter and jelly sandwich apart and slapping it upside a plate glass window and now try to wipe it clean with dry paper.
I do find it humorous to reflect that just a few hundred years ago our concept of personal hygiene was scrapping the lice off on a tree trunk.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 04:44   #39

Boat: seawind II Patience
Hope by recycled tp you mean tp made from recycled paper.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 05:13   #40
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I have used cheap TP for years in jabsco toilets no problem. I much prefer the macerating toilet though. Especially if you have a holding tank. Where I have seen problems is on the input to plastic black water tanks where the nozzle is a lot smaller then the feedpipe. In this case I switched to an electric toilet and never looked back.

Also I find that with the electric jabsco if it does block it blocks just under the u of the toilet and it can be fished out with the bent wire tool. The manual toilets don't break up anything and are inclined to push the wedge down the system where it blocks further on.

Btw , I use a chemical toilet liquid all the time it really helps and when I did have to take a system apart there was little goop about

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 16:34   #41

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
At least the semi-touristy parts of Mexico I've seen have been close to US toilet standards.

But, I can think of a huge benefit of this thread. If landlubbers knew what we are discussing here, it could really diminish the whole elitist yachtie stereotype.
rgscpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 17:01   #42
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

" they must use half a roll of TP "
So, you leave only 9 sheets in the head, and make guests sign out refills from the Captain.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 17:26   #43

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Tissue control

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
" they must use half a roll of TP "
So, you leave only 9 sheets in the head, and make guests sign out refills from the Captain.<G>
I think that's the same method as used by the Women's Correctional Facility.

So what was that Samuel Johnson quote about all the joyous luxuries of cruising...?
"No man will go to sea who can contrive himself put in jail, for going to sea is being in jail with the added chance of being drowned. In jail both the company and the food are likely to be better."

Actually, I'm just looking for some happy medium between ignorant debauchery and excess privation.
Old 14-09-2010, 18:48   #44

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
I think that's the same method as used by the Women's Correctional Facility.

So what was that Samuel Johnson quote about all the joyous luxuries of cruising...?
"No man will go to sea who can contrive himself put in jail, for going to sea is being in jail with the added chance of being drowned. In jail both the company and the food are likely to be better."
I would imagine the view while cruising would be a lot better than the one from jail...
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 18:58   #45

Yes, there is that difference. And that little bitty thing called FREEDOM, long may it live.