Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2015, 21:29   #1

Boat: Hinckley 49, Evening Star, originally owned by Lawrence Rockefeller
Toilet replacement time

As it happens on a boat, down for a quick Sunday sail, and end up coming home with another boat part to replace, this time it is the electric jabsco 37010. Performance had been dropping over the past few weeks so I knew it was coming, and I was being hassled to replace for cosmetic reasons anyway.
Safety flush habit meant I was able to remove a clean toilet and the job wasn't that bad, although I assume the mounting bolts had been there for close to the 30 year old life of the boat.
I had it re plumbed to the sink drain for fresh water flushing, and boy did that make a huge difference to the head smell, I did tire though of telling guests to turn the sink on prior to flushing (they never did anyway), and having to flush the toilet everytime I brushed my teeth!

So what to put in its place, Rartian seem just too expensive even though I know they are the best.
I seem to be leaning to the Vetus TMWQ, they look good, so she will be happy, yet they only come with the option of flush water from the boats fresh water system. I have plenty of water so that is not a problem.
What worries me is the contamination back into the fresh water tank even though there is a solenoid on the inlet side.
Anyone installed one of these heads, or have an opinion on it?
thx
Markhunter1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 22:11   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Toilet replacement time

I think you should take a look at the Raritan Sea Era. If your Jabsco bowl can be cleaned up, just order the Sea Era conversion kit. That will save you about fifty bucks for a new bowl and quite a bit in shipping cost. The fresh water flush version is cheaper than the raw water flush because you don't need an intake pump. Raritan Sea Era Conversion Kit - 16LI012
I just realized I don't have the fresh water version on my website but I'd love to quote you one it.

Jabsco Quiet flush is also available as a fresh water flush toilet.

If you stick with a toilet designed to flush from your fresh water system, you won't have a problem with contamination.

Peggie Hall will be along to explain it better than I can.
Old 26-10-2015, 14:36   #3
Marine Service Provider

If a Raritan "conversion" (base and pump assembly) from the US isn't economically feasable, I'd go with another Jabsco before I'd buy a TMC.

Fwiw...we had a Aussie customer years ago who had friends who regularly travelled to the US on business. He talked one of 'em into bringing back a HOLDING TANK as checked baggage! We had it drop shipped to his hotel in the US. A Raritan SeaEra "conversion" is small enough to fit IN a checked bag if removed from its carton...could be brought back as a gift.

Not recommending this, just mentioning possibilities...........
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 20:23   #4

Boat: Hinckley 49, Evening Star, originally owned by Lawrence Rockefeller

Thanks Peg Hall, and HopCar. New bowl/seat are required as I need to obey.
Will not go down the TMC path Peg I agree with you on that, I do though want to move from the Jabsco to stop the loud impeller noise, am sure the entire bay can hear my head.
I am leaning toward the Vetus TMWQ, looks good and the price is right. Only issue is that it requires attachment to a fresh water supply and doesnt have a flush pump built into the toilet itself.

What the supplier has offered me is a pressure pump that I can use for salt water flush, vetus-wp1213, it though is designed as a fresh water pressure pump.

Question is, can this pump be used to connect to sea water? or will it end up sinking the boat?

Thx.
Markhunter1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 20:23   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I hadn't noticed that you're in Oz. In that case don't consider ordering a complete toilet from the US. The freight would make it too expensive. Conversion kits that reuse your existing bowl can be mailed and are often good values. It seems to depend on the exchange rate at the time of ordering.
Old 27-10-2015, 06:30   #6
Marine Service Provider

Two alternate suggestions: If you carry enough water to have it to spare fro toilet flushing, choose a model designed to use pressurized flush water. Jabsco 37045...they're MUCH quieter because there is no inlet pump, only a solenoid valve and also draw less amperage. If you don't have fresh water to spare, and MUST go with a sea water version, consider going with a model that uses a remote intake pump instead of an integral pump--Jabsco 37245. The Vetus pump your supplier offered you would work for this...but why go with a cobbled up design when instead of a factory designed system? Besides, Vetus IS better than TMC, but isn't known for quality toilets either.

Both the Jabscos are available as "conversions" as well as complete toilets. Why would a new bowl be required to obey? The same bowl fits 99% of the toilet bases on the planet, and they clean up VERY nicely with a little effort! So there's no need to replace it unless it's damaged. Seats and lids can be purchased separately, so you don't have a buy a complete toilet just to get those.

So whether complete toilet or "conversion," those are the toilets readily available in OZ that I recommend
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, oil