Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 08:46   #1

Boat: Island Packet 32
Toilet Paper question

Not to be confused with a kitty-litter potty - this is a serious question

I was in the RV store the other day and saw toilet paper specifically for holding tanks. Apparently it "dissolves faster" or some such.

Does anybody actually pay $1 per roll for this specialty TP, or doesn't everybody really use regular old TP....

Thoughts?
PlumBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:07   #2

Re: Toilet Paper question

regular old paper. but you could test by putting some in water and see how well it breaks up.S ome papers dissolve pretty fast. There used to be one that didnt... cant remember which though. The stuff gets a pretty good workout (if you're moving) in the holding tank. The key to not plugging things is very relevant to not using a big wad of paper!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:14   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

I gladly pay the $1/roll for the stuff that keeps my hands out of the pump mechanism on the head. I have often thought about experimenting as Cheechako says, but have never gotten around to it. I'm sure there's regular stuff out there that will work - but I'd want some data before I risked it.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:31   #4

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I gladly pay the $1/roll for the stuff that keeps my hands out of the pump mechanism on the head. I have often thought about experimenting as Cheechako says, but have never gotten around to it. I'm sure there's regular stuff out there that will work - but I'd want some data before I risked it.
A cheaper solution is to just have a bin (or plastic bag) in the head for the paper. Works even better at keeping your hands out of the pump mechanism.
In some countries this is even common for toilets on land. (Greece springs to mind here). And no, smell is not a problem.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:34   #5

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

I'm a Charmin man, myself. I do prefer that the wastebasket next to the head be used for paper, when practical. The less paper pulp in the system, the better. Last year I had to go over the side and clear the overboard discharge, after reconnecting a blown-off hose and mopping up lots of yucky stuff. Ewwww. The strainer was clogged tight with TP pulp. Had some words with my boat bunny about that. She said she was sooooo sorry but I never took her sailing again.

Special TP? No, that's okay. I just don't put it in the crapper in the first place unless it is gonna be real smelly.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:45   #6

My wife insists on Charmin, and as I remember, it breaks down pretty good.... surprisingly! Tough stuff...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:47   #7

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Toilet Paper question

I must live in the shitty part of the world. The store brand is a buck a roll! Single ply and single malt: High dollar for both ends. 4 sheets for lubbers, sailors 3. You guys are buying at Walmart! Not me.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:23   #8

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Toilet paper - whats that for?
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:30   #9

1. Thin single ply paper from a grocery store is the same as the pricey RV cr*p. Only lots cheaper. And can be used in the head and holding tank.

2. Some folks prefer thicker. If so, NEVER down the head, into separate small bin of your choice.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:45   #10

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

I find that 2 ply used sparingly works fine on both my electric and manual toilet. Never buy the recycled toilet paper sold in some stores, it contain cellulose that doesn't break down. Visitors always get a jokey discreet but firm lecture, first I show them the toolbox, then explain if they don't want to use it and get up to the elbows in ****, how to use the toilet properly. It seems to work fine but my chances of a political career are doomed.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:57   #11

Boat: searching...

Ok Some may now yell but there is another solution:

Some cultures have a small water shower next to the toilette to clean the a.....afterwards. I was always thinking what the hell.....but since that works so nice you can now even buy now automatic "washdown" toilettes with dryer for your home, they cost a fortune and that may not work on the boat.

But as a matter of fact, change the big shower head to a small one with a valve and you can shower your butt with a half a liter of fresh water. Its cleaner than every paper and you may just need one sheet for drying. Your toilette may even like a bit of freshwater....

Its not so gross as it sounds :-)
swisscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:05   #12

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia

This is what we use - Amazon.com: Scott Rapid Dissolve Bath Tissue Double Roll, 4-Count Packages (Pack of 12): Health & Personal Care

It's been over a year now of living aboard with no problems. Practical Sailor rated this brand as excellent - they tested to see how easily it dissolved.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:13   #13

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

Single ply Scott tissue. Cheap and works great in the head. And no, I don't own the company....

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:19   #14

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

They tried out an experimental toilet in Ireland. There was no toilet paper in the toilet, when you'd used the toilet, a discreet sign instructed you to wipe your private parts with your finger, then place your finger in the indicated hole in the wall and it would be sucked clean instantly. A young lady availed of the toilets facilities and carried out the instructions. On the other side of the wall a grumpy wee Leprechaun saw the finger come through the wall and stick straight in his ear so he turned and gave the finger a vicious whack with a mallet.
The finger was instantly withdrawn and sucked clean.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:23   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish rambler View Post
I find that 2 ply used sparingly works fine on both my electric and manual toilet. Never buy the recycled toilet paper sold in some stores, it contain cellulose that doesn't break down. Visitors always get a jokey discreet but firm lecture, first I show them the toolbox, then explain if they don't want to use it and get up to the elbows in ****, how to use the toilet properly. It seems to work fine but my chances of a political career are doomed.
ALL paper contain cellulose. Cellulose is the basic material in paper.