Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 10:29   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Toilet Paper question

i place all paper products in a bag and dispo on shore. no paper in the head, ever.
do not put down the toilet anything that has not passed thru your mouth.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:37   #17
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

I'm always surprised how many people are not into flushing paper. My boat is my moving home for 7 months and the idea of having a bag of crap paper, with crap on it, sounds pretty gross for sure. What happens when you dont have trash access for a week or more? And dont even get me started on the R/V marine paper. Many here sail the oceans, but toilets scare the hell outta them? This is not camping, at least not to me. I cant be the only one.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:44   #18

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I have never clogged a head with TP........we use the el cheapo from the grocery store. How much paper do you people use? The thought of keeping a small trash can full of shitty paper in the small head compartment in the hot boat in the tropics makes me ill.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:52   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
I'm always surprised how many people are not into flushing paper. My boat is my moving home for 7 months and the idea of having a bag of crap paper, with crap on it, sounds pretty gross for sure. What happens when you dont have trash access for a week or more? And dont even get me started on the R/V marine paper. Many here sail the oceans, but toilets scare the hell outta them? This is not camping, at least not to me. I cant be the only one.
Quote:
I have never clogged a head with TP........we use the el cheapo from the grocery store. How much paper do you people use? The thought of keeping a small trash can full of shitty paper in the small head compartment in the hot boat in the tropics makes me ill.
ok how about your garbage in a long passage--it will, i guarantee, smell much worse than a bag of tp ...lol...
there is no perfect method, but i found from personal experience in the tropics that this isnt a bad solution.
charmin ultra strong mega rolls work just dandy .
double bag all and is not a bad thing--rid boat of garbage--all--when you fuel as many fuel stations even in mexico have trash bins at no cost to you f or your deposit.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:54   #20

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

I use plain old Scott which is holding & septic tank friendly. However, we don't put any paper in our heads. We bag it and dispose of it in bins ashore.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:57   #21
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

It's looking like we may need to have a poll, The flushers vs The **** baggers. Seems so far the **** baggers are ahead.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:59   #22

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Offshore you can always rig a burn basket. If you are on a long passage.
GrowleyMonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:00   #23
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisscraft View Post
Ok Some may now yell but there is another solution:

Some cultures have a small water shower next to the toilette to clean the a.....afterwards. I was always thinking what the hell.....but since that works so nice you can now even buy now automatic "washdown" toilettes with dryer for your home, they cost a fortune and that may not work on the boat.

But as a matter of fact, change the big shower head to a small one with a valve and you can shower your butt with a half a liter of fresh water. Its cleaner than every paper and you may just need one sheet for drying. Your toilette may even like a bit of freshwater....

Its not so gross as it sounds :-)
+1 Me too.
Having a wash isn't gross at all, it's what the majority of people on the planet do.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:12   #24

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

We flush TP pretty regularly -- nothing fancy, just grocery store single ply or cheap double-ply -- and when we're outside of 3 miles offshore we will often pump out our holding tank. I'm always amazed that nothing even remotely resembling toilet paper can be seen the waste stream behind us. It must completely dissolve.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 13:01   #25

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisscraft View Post
Ok Some may now yell but there is another solution:

Some cultures have a small water shower next to the toilette to clean the a.....afterwards. I was always thinking what the hell.....but since that works so nice you can now even buy now automatic "washdown" toilettes with dryer for your home, they cost a fortune and that may not work on the boat.

But as a matter of fact, change the big shower head to a small one with a valve and you can shower your butt with a half a liter of fresh water. Its cleaner than every paper and you may just need one sheet for drying. Your toilette may even like a bit of freshwater....

Its not so gross as it sounds :-)
I saw (and used) those while in Malaysia a few years ago.
I thought about installing one in our house, but in the PNW, that would be a very COLD experience ! Wife said "No Way!"
She's so sensitive to cold water, she adds a bit of hot from a thermos to take a drink.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 13:03   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post

+1 Me too.
Having a wash isn't gross at all, it's what the majority of people on the planet do.
Got used to doing it this way while living in Asia. It's actually much more sanitary.
Old 10-01-2013, 13:31   #27

Boat: Catalina 34

Interesting thread. Not sure I really wanted to know some of the information provided here, but interesting thread for sure.
Old 10-01-2013, 13:40   #28

Boat: Looking...

Some say to live as in the east:

right hand for eating

left hand for bodily functions.

Others suggest

that what is best

for our troops is best

for the rest -

baby wipes in a bag.

westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 16:46   #29

Boat: Beneteau First 42

We have been putting TP through the heads on our various yachts since the early 1970's (thereto prior yachts having relied upon a bucket/chuck-it approach). In all that time we have never had a clogged head whether a Wilcox-Crittendon, Lavac, Raritan, or Brydon-Boy, either manual or equipped with a maceration pump. Nor have we had clogged piping or impacted holding tanks. It seems that with proper maintenance, and proper use, one does not have such issues.

N'any case, for the sake of the experiment, earlier today I purchased a package of the "RV Toilet Paper" for comparison with the Charmin that we use at home. I placed 3 sheets of each in bowls of luke-warm fresh water and checked each a 10 minute intervals. I thought the Charmin was rather at a disadvantage as it is two ply compared with the single ply RV paper but...

What I found was that after 10 minutes, both papers were at about the same stage of dissolution. After 20 minutes, the Charmin was falling apart while the $1.00/roll RV paper was still "hanging together". After 30 minutes the Charmin was an indistinguishable mush while the RV paper was still somewhat hanging together. After an hour, both papers were pretty well completely dissolved.

From the foregoing it would appear that the use of a judicious amount of Charmin--at 8 rolls for the same cost as 4 of the RV paper--gives one better performance and at lesser cost. The trick is getting folks to use only so much as is really necessary, although, as my wife and daughter have been hearing about water discipline and TP discipline aboard the boat for 20/30 years they are relatively well trained in the matter(s). The idea that one needs to "store" the waster paper doesn't make any sense to me what so ever given a properly functioning head, waster treatment/holding tank system.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 17:30   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I've been using Coles' best single ply for a few years now.

After 5 years of abuse the Lavac pump finally stopped taking it anymore so I brought another one, springing an extortionate amount extra for the white colour.

And yes, it was jammed up with undissolved toilet paper. That stuff is almost impossible to remove, hence the new one.

No matter the cost. Way cheaper than replacing my bunny.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote