Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 17:40   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
New product idea for you all.

Diaper Genie for boats. Smaller container, smaller "bag roll" has a nautical stamp on it and sells for 40% more than it's worth.

For those who don't know a Diaper Genie is a convenience item for parents of babies. It has a continuous "tube" of plastic roll. You insert this roll in a trash can looking device. You place a diaper in the top and through a lever "twist" the tube of plastic. The tube shuts tight. Next time you repeat until there is no more continuous tube, then take it all out andd dump it. At the end of it all you get a "chain" of diaper "sausages" that you throw away.

The twisting each time ensures the nasal offending item is sealed in plastic immediately.

This could be used on a boat for TP, wet trash, or anything that might stink or make a mess.

OK I am off to the patent office...

It's gotta be just unique enough to secure me a new patent.

Now accepting Venture Capital. PayPal account on request - LOL...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 22:31   #32
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch
Re: Toilet Paper question

I guess I'd like to hear from the no-paper flush crowd what happened to make you feel that paper would not be right for your head system? I did a new head, hose, y-valve, pump and tank. 4 years later and no issues, the head is almost ready for a new pump assy. which is on board. The one thing I've done is change my vent to 1", before upsizing to 1" I moved the vent 6' aft as the stock vent was next to deck pump out and a longer run than needed. I actually plan to move the holding tank to make better use of the space for a watermaker. Then my vent hose will be very short and I will increase the size to 1 1/2" for better air flow.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 23:58   #33

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
RV TP from WM. Except in the wag bags, anything goes.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:09   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
It's looking like we may need to have a poll, The flushers vs The **** baggers. Seems so far the **** baggers are ahead.
I flush the paper. In my opinion, bagging the used paper is a significant risk to hygiene. It's too easy for something unforeseen to happen resulting in infection.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:18   #35

Boat: Lagoon 440

So from this i 'm understanding that beside your toilet you have a bin with toilet-paper that's been used to wipe the arses of the various users?

Isn't that a bit off putting, smelly and basically disgusting to at the least visitors?

We banish any tissues other than the provided toilet paper (facial tissues don't break down the same) We've never had a problem on any toilet that would make us change to dumping the crap paper in a bin like the Greeks do, as my wife just remarked EeeeewwwwwwwwwwwWWW!!!
Old 11-01-2013, 01:22   #36

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
I'm always surprised how many people are not into flushing paper. My boat is my moving home for 7 months and the idea of having a bag of crap paper, with crap on it, sounds pretty gross for sure. What happens when you dont have trash access for a week or more? And dont even get me started on the R/V marine paper. Many here sail the oceans, but toilets scare the hell outta them? This is not camping, at least not to me. I cant be the only one.
I'M with you totally on this one, putting crap paper complete with skids showing is just off, bit too Greek for me.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:25   #37

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

This is getting better than "Masthead Rig or Fractional", or "Watermaker or Jerry Cans" or "Propane or liquid fuel stove" and it's just about something we discard. We are making a mole hole out of a mountain or something like that. Anyway on my boat the TP goes in the bag after clearing one bad clog from in the water, that caused a burst hose (well, not actually burst but popped loose.) and a very $h!tty mess to clean up inside. Your boat. Your decision. Hygeine is a serious topic but there was nothing hygenic about cleaning the mess that hose made when it popped off so I am a bagger not a flusher. Poo and Pee get flushed on Mr. Wiggles, and nothing else.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:04   #38
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
New product idea for you all.
This is a winner - I'll buy one!
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:05   #39
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I ve sailed with the bag it zealots , I personally use cheap discount single or double ply cheap TP. I do find the luxury stuff can cause problems. I flush and in 20 years TP has never caused a problem I also flush chemical toilet fluid thru and that's great

Dave
Old 11-01-2013, 04:17   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
We have been putting TP through the heads on our various yachts since the early 1970's (thereto prior yachts having relied upon a bucket/chuck-it approach). In all that time we have never had a clogged head whether a Wilcox-Crittendon, Lavac, Raritan, or Brydon-Boy, either manual or equipped with a maceration pump. Nor have we had clogged piping or impacted holding tanks. It seems that with proper maintenance, and proper use, one does not have such issues.

N'any case, for the sake of the experiment, earlier today I purchased a package of the "RV Toilet Paper" for comparison with the Charmin that we use at home. I placed 3 sheets of each in bowls of luke-warm fresh water and checked each a 10 minute intervals. I thought the Charmin was rather at a disadvantage as it is two ply compared with the single ply RV paper but...

What I found was that after 10 minutes, both papers were at about the same stage of dissolution. After 20 minutes, the Charmin was falling apart while the $1.00/roll RV paper was still "hanging together". After 30 minutes the Charmin was an indistinguishable mush while the RV paper was still somewhat hanging together. After an hour, both papers were pretty well completely dissolved.

From the foregoing it would appear that the use of a judicious amount of Charmin--at 8 rolls for the same cost as 4 of the RV paper--gives one better performance and at lesser cost. The trick is getting folks to use only so much as is really necessary, although, as my wife and daughter have been hearing about water discipline and TP discipline aboard the boat for 20/30 years they are relatively well trained in the matter(s). The idea that one needs to "store" the waster paper doesn't make any sense to me what so ever given a properly functioning head, waster treatment/holding tank system.

FWIW...
You didn't mention a Jabsco, which is probably where the rest of us learned to be gun shy, so to speak.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:18   #41

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
We usually flush the very first " wipe" (usually being the worst) than bag all subsequent wipes as (they are not as uhm "messy" as the first wipe.
Just as Zee describes my admiral has signs everywhere about "If it didnt come out pf your body it doesnt go in the toilet" etc etc and yet we have had "items" cause me major headaches. ?
Now she gives everyone aboard "Potty Training" classes their first time aboard lol.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:35   #42

Boat: Kristen 52

I flush the tp if someone is keeping count, liveaboard for over 5 years, no problems other than salt build up. Have recently converted one head to fresh water, will see how that works. I use WM tp....notice this has Charmin logo embossed on it......

Chuck
Old 11-01-2013, 04:40   #43

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
I'm a Charmin man, myself. I do prefer that the wastebasket next to the head be used for paper, when practical. The less paper pulp in the system, the better. Last year I had to go over the side and clear the overboard discharge, after reconnecting a blown-off hose and mopping up lots of yucky stuff. Ewwww. The strainer was clogged tight with TP pulp. Had some words with my boat bunny about that. She said she was sooooo sorry but I never took her sailing again.

Special TP? No, that's okay. I just don't put it in the crapper in the first place unless it is gonna be real smelly.

What strainer? You need to get rid of any strainer on the discharge -- not the TP. A strainer is just wrong; doesn't belong there.

Been flushing TP into the heads for 30+ years, never a problem. Used to use only the RV type, or cheap single ply, until about 8 years ago when I bought a Raritan electric flush head that includes a macerator in the base -- the manual said 2-ply is OK. Since then I'm back to a manual pump and single ply or RV. Still no problems.

Never used a bidet but that's the best idea, IMHO. Cleanest and most environmentally friendly approach.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:44   #44

I've put a needlepoint sign in the head:

"Nothing goes in the head
unless you have eaten it first.

Gentlemen
Please be seated."

There are also commercial signage made. Bernard Engraving carries a comprehensive list of various signs, including this:
Bernard Engraving Corp.

As for the 'stuff,' I have lidded wastebaskets which I empty with frequency.

Reasons for the above...? Well, TP takes up valuable space in my rather small holding tank and portapotti, and having cleaned up a spill, thank you, it's way less nasty to deal with TP in the trash than overflow in my bilges.

As to the quality of the TP: I buy the cheapest possible thin crap TP, so if some moron doesn't get the message and flushes it anyway, at least it will hopefully fall apart thoroughly
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:45   #45

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

For me ... bagging = gagging and crap-swiped paper needs to be down the loo. But, horses for courses I guess. I found that the more expensive "quick-dissolving" toilet paper was no better than ordinary toilet paper when I had to empty our toilet cassette (that was when we had a motorhome).
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote