Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2014, 08:44   #16

Boat: Pearson 385
Re: To filter or Not to filter...

That's what I liked about the 3M Whole-Vehicle series. It filters to .2 micron and I can brush my teeth from any faucet in the boat.
Vamonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 08:45   #17

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Firstly I take a sample of water in a glass and inspect it and look for particles and then taste it. If it's fine fill up, if not go elsewhere or buy bottled.
I have stainless steel tanks and food quality pipes and fittings, no filter.
If you fit a filter to collect all/any impurities, subsequent water must then must pass through them, so for me, no filter.
I fitted a 12 volt electronic water descaler which keeps the pipework clear of calcium build up.
When refilling I dissolve a tablespoon of Bi-carbonate of Soda in hot water per 200 litres and add during filling to keep the tanks sterilized.
After fitting 7 years ago and travelling throughout Europe I've never had any problems.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 08:57   #18

I've found a charcoal filter to make water taste a lot better. But with new SS tanks yo may not need it. Put your filter between the faucet and the pump... pumps dont like to suck and push better.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 09:25   #19

Boat: C&C Newport 41

for me the real question is... why not?

i mean u r re-designing your system...

i recently designed my fresh water plumbing and started with a long line ot my transom for the 1st filter. normally i would not move water so far just to move it back to where it started but i wanted the easy access for filter inspection and replacement.

i went with a filter designed for well water (rhino) because they focus on rust, micro particles and chlorine and, to a lesser degree, soften the water too.

i have a small charcoal filter at my galley sink which i think is overkill but it seemed silly to not just put it inline.

i will add the caveat that i will be filling my tanks in mexico etc and expect i may have questionable quality / need to treat (chlorinate) the tanks from time to time.

lastly, both filters have a Y before and after so they can be bypassed. while there is little risk with a charcoal filter, more sophisticated filters have membranes and moving parts that can, when all bunged up, completely stop the flow of water which does not make for happy days on board.

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 09:41   #20

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamonos View Post
A little over $200 and our water tastes like bottled. I don't know that I want to test the bacteria and cyst removal in a developing country, but I like it.
Did you go with the B2 or the B3?

Any problems with flow in the system? The B2 seems like the one I would go with...probably place it between the pump and the accumulator tank.
Marpessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 09:47   #21

Also curious about the B2 and water flow. Do they work alright with manual pumps, such as a foot pump for our head sink.
Old 15-01-2014, 09:48   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marpessa View Post

Any problems with flow in the system? The B2 seems like the one I would go with...probably place it between the pump and the accumulator tank.
We have had no water pressure issues. I was trying to remember which model I used. I think that I went with the B2, but I'm not positive. Look at the specs for your water pressure pump and see what the flow rate is for it.
Old 15-01-2014, 10:00   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marpessa View Post

Here is a slightly more technical PDF. Whole Vehicle Filter
Old 15-01-2014, 10:01   #24

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

Wow the Rhino is really something, I think you're definitely drinking some clean water with that one. Just out of curiosity what have you found the power draw to be with the unit on? Does it turn on and off on its own as water moves - or is it hooked up to a power switch that you control?
Marpessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 10:27   #25

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

We have a CTO(chlorine, taste, odor) canister type filter on our galley faucet cold water only. No need to filter hot as we do not drink that. It does make the water taste much better in my opinion.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 10:49   #26

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We just started filtering our water as we fill our tanks with a cartridge filter that removes cysts. Basically following Peggie Hall's advice.

We also just plumbed the same type of canister type filter from Home Depot into the cold water line to our head sink and it made a noticeable different in the water. Checking out the tanks they were pristine so I investigated a little further and found that some of the pipe connectors had a little slime growing on them where the tubing meets the connector. So, eventually we will be replacing all the water hosing and connectors but in the meantime these two measures made a big difference and we now have no problem drinking out of the taps.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 15:31   #27

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
To filter or Not to filter...

You are going to want a screen filter on the pump intake just to protect the pump.
After the pump, I do have a 5 micron Culligan brand filter followed by a $500 Sterilight UV, but the boat is quite large and this handles a nice volume. For only $200 you could have a galley-only UV and filter and have potable water including for an icemaker.
I wanted to correct the poster on UV use. You have to have it on all the time. Otherwise, while its off, the plumbing downstream gets contaminated.
If I were going only with filters and no UV, I would have two filters in series; first a cheap filter then the more expensive charcoal filter. The charcoal ones tend to need more frequent changing otherwise and the flow will be affected.
In tropical waters, you get critters growing quite quickly in the system.Hence UV helps keep water from stinking.
Also, I filter the water going into the tank.
Old 15-01-2014, 15:56   #28

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

I've been in the drinking water business since 1984; have state licenses. Eyeball examination of water in a glass will not detect small particles or bacteria, viruses, Giardia cysts, etc. All those are much too small to be seen without a microscope.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 16:07   #29

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

If it makes you happy by all means install a filter. I get all teh water for my house from an eighty foot well. Nope, it ain't filtered. Comes straight out of the ground. I've canoed all over Canada and drank water straight out of the Lakes and a few streams. Nope. No filter there either. Grew up on a farm with only well water and outhouses. Just sayin".
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 16:17   #30

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Tbrad: I've canoed and hiked, too, drinking from streams and lakes with no problem, but nowadays some waters that used to be safe have Giardia lamblia, that causes intestinal symptoms worse than a few days of the runs.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote