Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2012, 13:05   #1

Tilting a fridge compressor 90 degrees

My old wall-mounted fridge compressor quit working, so I bought a new Waeco CU-55 compressor. Unfortunately, I somehow got an impression, that the CU-55 would be suitable for vertical or wall mounting. I told to the marine engineer, where I wanted the compressor, and he installed the unit without consulting the manual. We tested the compressor and it seemed to be working, so we considered the job done. However, later I discovered that the manufacturer claims that the maximum heel angle of the compressor is 30 degrees and we were running it at 90 degrees.

Now I am a little bit worried if running the compressor at 90 degrees may have done some damage? I would be interested to know what is happening when running a fridge compressor tilted? Is there a possibility of damaging the compressor by overheating etc. To my knowledge in the normal fridge the lubrication oil is going to the wrong place when tilting the unit. But how is the case in a marine fridge?
anjolain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 13:23   #2

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: Tilting a fridge compressor 90 degrees

OOPS get it upright ASAP and hope no damage done...
Old 02-06-2012, 17:34   #3

a hermetic compressor must be in upright position for operation due to the internal compressor pickup and splash fed nature of lubrication, open drive compressors on the other hand are quite happy to rotate up to 90 desrees as long as the discharge port is above the suction port
sfnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 22:54   #4

Boat: Cheoy Lee Seamaster 47'

Depending how (on which side) the compressor was rotated, you can kill it either fast or slow. Fast kill will be if the oil enters the compressor's cylinder and causes hydraulic lock. If this did not happen, then the compressor will die slowly from lack of proper lubrication.
Another possible damage could be disconnecting one of the mounting springs inside. there are usually 3 springs that hold the compressor and act as a dempher. Such problem is accomplished with knocking noise while the compressor starts and/or stops.
Undo the wrong mounting ASAP and it might still be OK.
there is no real way to check if it is all good inside. Listen for unusual noises.
seamaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator