Hi, I feel ya! I just did this. I had a leaky transducer and the wood spacers were looking shoddy on the others. First, I made spacers from fiberglass
mat. It took 2 hrs. to remove the 3 thru hulls under the V berth. I took a small hand grinder in and ground all the gelcoat
back so I could glass in the new f'glass backing plates
. I made a paste with resin and used it to attach the backing plates
. Next day I put 2 layers of mat over the whole area and outside I filled the holes with the resin paste (like peanut butter) and faired it where I had ground it around the holes. My trusty holesaw did the rest...Easy peazy-now...I was worried to death over this job before I did it...I only had 3 days and we finished it with time to spare. I changed 3 of the wood blocks with this process and changed every seacock in the boat with bronze ball valves. I repaired the front of the keel
and cleaned the strainers. With the pant I had left over we painted 60% of the hull
again just to use the paint
and kill our day.
After she almost sunk once I am very aware of this situation now and upgraded my bilge pump
set-up to 2 pumps, a 500 main pump and a 2000 as a back-up with an alarm
. The guzzler is renovated as well and kicks a##..
If you can buy the valves locally as I could, remove them before you buy them...Get em all at once, go back and install them. The thru hulls are easy as well...I made a tool from a pc. of steel
and they came right out.
Good luck. I don't think you'll need luck, you seem to be as mentally prepared as you can get...you'll be fine...AND...you always have help online...The support here is great...
Don't know if the pix will show...email me email@example.com
and I can send ya a bunch of them...Peace