Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2013, 07:33   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
This is the Morning of my Discontent

OK I knew the day was fast approaching. There was a certan air in the morning.. Hum what is that smell....

It has been almost exactly six years since I installed my Raritan PHII toilet. Being a full time live aboard cruiser I knew that one day I would have to do a head rebuild. I had not even replaced the joker valve in all that time,

This morning I woke up to find the head completely full of water. The good news is the rim of the head is above the water line. So happy girl for that.

Of course the holding tank is completely full too. Grrrrr.

So something tells me I have a head rebuild in my VERY near future. Least wise I have the rebuild kit on board.

Now to go find a pump out....

Least it will not be a multi week operation like the engine rebuild. Just a whole lot smellier.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 07:37   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: This is the morning of my discontent

lovely...... beni--my jabsco lasted over 10 yrs before first rebuild , in la cruz de huanacaxtle marina......nasty job...mine was plugged by eel grass and while it was apart the repair guy rebuilt it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 07:47   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
OK I knew the day was fast approaching. There was a certan air in the morning.. Hum what is that smell....

It has been almost exactly six years since I installed my Raritan PHII toilet. Being a full time live aboard cruiser I knew that one day I would have to do a head rebuild. I had not even replaced the joker valve in all that time,

This morning I woke up to find the head completely full of water. The good news is the rim of the head is above the water line. So happy girl for that.

Of course the holding tank is completely full too. Grrrrr.

So something tells me I have a head rebuild in my VERY near future. Least wise I have the rebuild kit on board.

Now to go find a pump out....

Least it will not be a multi week operation like the engine rebuild. Just a whole lot smellier.
Think I'd rather do the engine rebuild. But, no worries where head rebuilds are concerned for me - bucket never backs up or needs flapper valves.

Have fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bucket.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	324.5 KB
ID:	66212  
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 07:48   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
lovely...... beni--my jabsco lasted over 10 yrs before first rebuild , in la cruz de huanacaxtle marina......nasty job...mine was plugged by eel grass and while it was apart the repair guy rebuilt it.
I expect I'll find eel grass in the water side check valves too.
Old 30-08-2013, 08:28   #5

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

When I did a complete re-plumbing I installed ball valves on the input side and the output side. Input side is off as long as plenty fresh water, output side off unless flushing. Joker valves can go ahead and fail...they are redundant. Vented loop on raw water can fail/plugged...Redundant as well. Will only ever need pump motor and macerator. Still suspect I may live aboard someday.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 08:31   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

my Jabsco electric is 20 years old, still pumping

dave
Old 30-08-2013, 08:35   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post

Wow.....
Old 30-08-2013, 08:36   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Have done a few rebuilds and at least in my experience, once you get over the initial blast, it isn't too bad as long as the system is not backed up and you don't have "stuff" pouring out of the hoses that you have to capture or mop up.

The only time it really got for me was when I was operating bareboat charters and the head stopped up on one of the boats about 3 days into a 7 day charter. Then it got rough on the crossing back from the Bahamas so the whole charter party got seasick, in the stopped up, already full head. Then they parked the boat, closed it up as is and left it at the marina.

Meanwhile I was out of town so didn't get back to clean the boat for 3-4 weeks, in August, in Florida.

So cheer up. It could be a lot worse.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 08:50   #9

Boat: Valiant 42

SC, probably you don't need a complete rebuild but just a new joker valve. They last 2 years on average, less if they soak in vinegar.

You may want to consider installing an anti-siphon loop in the intake circuit as Raritan recommends. They ship the pump assembly with a short piece of hose installed at the outlet of the sea water pump. They recommend removing this short hose and installing a longer hose with suitable anti-siphon valve located well above the water line at all angles of heel. This is a good idea and will prevent siphoning sea water into the bowl when heeled.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 08:59   #10

Just rebuilt mine...very smelly, but not that hard.
Bashleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 10:19   #11

Boat: P30

just rebuilt mine and opted to replace the entire pump assembly for about $10 more then a rebuild kit. 4 bolts to get it off and back on. this was a for a jabsco and the pump is "new and improved"
Old 30-08-2013, 10:28   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well That was not too bad at all. First I pumped out, rinsed with muriatic acid down the head, which killed the smell, pumped out and rinsed and pumped out again.

Removed the head and took it outside. There was no smell.. I guess I'm just sweet smelling Or more likely the acid killed the bacteria.

The pump was not pumping at all, nothing at all. So replaced the plunger seal and the joker valve which was bad too. Now its like new. Hope I get another 6 years out of it.

So sweet.

Life is good!
Old 30-08-2013, 10:33   #13

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

That was really fast. Now you can go have some fun......
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 10:37   #14

Boat: Skookum 53'

Never hurts to put a dab of Tiger balm under each nostril before starting one of those jobs. Sounds like you got through it in good order, good on you.
Old 30-08-2013, 10:58   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

beni--if it is only eel grass you wont have to rebuild it--just make new gaskets..remove the bits gently so you can re use after cleaning....and do lube prior to reinstallation with some kind of semi solid toilet butter of some sort so it keeps being smooth. i didnt and wish i had......

be ready for a fish or octopus, if sf bay has those......the thought much less the reality makes smelling eel grass pleasant.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote