Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2012, 11:39   #1

Thinking of Yanking the Holding Tank

So...

I've got a head I'm happy with, but I need to redo some plumbing in the next few days. We're splitting the US, not coming back (hopefully) for years. Yes, I know I can put a Y valve in but they're not exactly free and most of the places we're going simply don't have pump out stations let alone rules enforcing discharge.

Stupid idea?

Our holding tank now works sort of like a day tank. Fill it up during the day, dump it on the outgoing tide at night. Just wondering what the real use of these things are for those well outside of no discharge zones, but maybe still being in a marina/mooring/anchorage with clear water and folks swimming around.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 12:19   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: thinking of yanking the holding tank

Eventually while out cruising you will arrive in a port where it is illegal to dump inside of the harbor. Most civilized countries are this way and many of them will want to come aboard to see amongst other things, that you have a holding tank onboard. You might as well be in compliance with the laws of all the countries that you visit. You will want a Y-valve that can be locked in one position or on the discharge side of the tank, a valve that can be locked closed....depending on how you plumb your sanitation system.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 12:22   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

If your thinking is to get rid of the holding tank I think that would be a mistake in the long run.

If it is just to get rid of the Y-valve I'm all for it. My boat doesn't have a Y-valve and all discharge from the head goes to the holding tank, which later either gets pumped out by a pump out station/boat or we pump to sea with the on-board pump
Old 20-10-2012, 12:23   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Come on Rebel, I know that you know the legal requirements.
Are you implying I'm the Colregs Laywer mentioned as a type of poster????

Nah but seriously, outside of the states, does anyone really use these things? It just seems stupid to have extra valves and gear on such a piece of "please god, never break" piece of equipment.
Old 20-10-2012, 12:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
If your thinking is to get rid of the holding tank I think that would be a mistake in the long run.

If it is just to get rid of the Y-valve I'm all for it. My boat doesn't have a Y-valve and all discharge from the head goes to the holding tank, which later either gets pumped out by a pump out station/boat or we pump to sea with the on-board pump
Right now I've got the discharge going straight into the holding tank which is ~3' above the waterline, so if I open the discharge seacock it empties. Works fine, but I'm always staring at it suspiciously waiting for it to fail. I should probably have a pump in there too if I ever needed to force the thing to empty because of sludge build up.

If I yank the tank and just put a discharge anti-siphon on it will be easier on the joker valve, require less hose, open up more space, and blah blah blah.
Old 20-10-2012, 12:30   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Thinking of Yanking the Holding Tank

If you're sure you won't need it, get rid of it. Do bear in mind that if you are someplace where the rules require "secured" no discharge, as they do in the US, that you'd better at least have a valve that can be reasonably secured to prevent any discharge overboard. With zero holding tank, that could mean a very full bowl till you get out to sea again.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 12:34   #7

it's nice to not dump your crap in a good harbor. Save and dump outside when you leave. Nothing like sitting in the cockpit drinking your coffee in the am and seeing your neighbors "baby ruth's" floating by!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 12:53   #8

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart

Right now I've got the discharge going straight into the holding tank which is ~3' above the waterline, so if I open the discharge seacock it empties. Works fine, but I'm always staring at it suspiciously waiting for it to fail. I should probably have a pump in there too if I ever needed to force the thing to empty because of sludge build up.

If I yank the tank and just put a discharge anti-siphon on it will be easier on the joker valve, require less hose, open up more space, and blah blah blah.
We have the same setup. While out we just left the tank open and pumped through it. When needing to hold onto our poo I just closed the valve until I could be rid of the poo. We haven't had any sludge problems, I think the constant motion of the boat keeps the tank relatively clean
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 13:03   #9

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Yank it and take a porta-potti as a backup.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 13:09   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
So...

I've got a head I'm happy with, but I need to redo some plumbing in the next few days. We're splitting the US, not coming back (hopefully) for years. Yes, I know I can put a Y valve in but they're not exactly free and most of the places we're going simply don't have pump out stations let alone rules enforcing discharge.

Stupid idea?

Our holding tank now works sort of like a day tank. Fill it up during the day, dump it on the outgoing tide at night. Just wondering what the real use of these things are for those well outside of no discharge zones, but maybe still being in a marina/mooring/anchorage with clear water and folks swimming around.
Rebel... you are based in San Diego.. and you claim you discharge on an outgoing tide? That is disgusting.... and illegal.... how can you say something like that? You are implicating yourself in an illegal act.. And you are a USCG licensed captain ?

What gives?

San Diego is a no discharge zone.... Not even 'treated' lectarsan sewage... But Raw Sewage....

Keep the holding tank, as you will be in other places and it will be most nasty and disrespectful to just dump raw sewage in a harbor...

You may not have a problem with stuff floating about... but... it is not nice for others.... I believe that it is even against the 'rules' to discharge into the harbor in Ensenada... I suspect that it is similar in other areas....

EzzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 13:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
We have the same setup. While out we just left the tank open and pumped through it. When needing to hold onto our poo I just closed the valve until I could be rid of the poo. We haven't had any sludge problems, I think the constant motion of the boat keeps the tank relatively clean
Yeah, I had one with gravitiy drain and it was simple too. Everything went in the tank, If I opended the seacock it disappeared. Seemed to always turn to "slush" with the boat motion. Y valves are a PITA.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 13:12   #12

Boat: 45ft Ketch

I'm happy with my Y valve but if you shoot the fresh macerated stuff straight into the sea it not polluting its diluting. Whales, dolphins, seals etc all do it and the greenies think they are great.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 13:19   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Are you implying I'm the Colregs Laywer mentioned as a type of poster????

Nah but seriously, outside of the states, does anyone really use these things? It just seems stupid to have extra valves and gear on such a piece of "please god, never break" piece of equipment.
I agree with keeping things like this as simple as possible but on the other hand you will eventually have to comply with the laws of other countries.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 13:25   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Does it work okay now? if so keep it, you have more important things to worry about if you want to set sail in the next 10 days or so, clocks ticking.

You can always dump it in a years time if really need to but try and fit one in years time when your stuck in a foreign country - yuk.

How is the fuel tank? that is a higher priority.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 13:56   #15

Quote:
So...

Stupid idea?

Mexico does have a 3 mile law as well.... and there is talk that in the sea of cortez they want to start using die tablets to insure no dumping in the park areas....

Keep the holding tank.... (and try to use it as well....)
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote