Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 09:09   #1

Boat: Laguna 33
The perfect showerhead?

On a recent overnight with my wife and daughter, I went through 60 gallons of fresh water in 18 hours. The biggest single use was my wife washing her long hair after swimming; she swears she took a Navy shower with water off while lathering, but I could hear the pump ran continuously for an impossibly long time.

There are many things we can do to reduce water usage, and we were really not worried much about conserving given it was an overnight trip.

I set out the other night to identify the perfect shower head and came up empty. I need the hand held type, for both cockpit and head.

I'd love to find a 1.50 to 1.75 GPM shower wand that makes good pressure (via aeration or needle thin streams or elven magic), has a positive shut off (not a trickle mode), and doesn't break the bank.

I'm currently thinking of purchasing a shower arm pipe like those that screw into the wall in a home shower, and using it with a regular shower head, as a handheld shower wand. I've always liked the small chromed brass Whedon low flow shower heads, which put out a misty jet and have a shut off that is near complete but still trickles some.

Any other suggestions for shower heads?

I also see some no rinse and dry shampoo products that might factor into a solution.
Saqqara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:21   #2

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: The perfect showerhead?

Heres a different idea, Try looking at Camper World, even online. They have many many different shower heads with different flow rates, many hand helds and such ! And a heck of a lot cheaper then WM or even home depot LOL
Old 05-09-2013, 09:56   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

After a lot of searching and futile experimentation, we've ended up with a replacement spray nozzle from the kitchen sink department of Bunnings (Australian equivalent of HD).
Don't know what the quantitative flow rate is but it is about perfect for frugal showering, and the shut off is complete. Cost about five dollars! We both like it better than any of the "marine shower" devices sold in chandleries.

And 60 gallons of fresh water in 18 hours??? That would be grounds for divorce and/or infanticide or other drastic measures in most cruising circles! For contrast, after many years of cruising experience, Ann and I average 12 Litres of fresh water per day with no feelings of hardship... thus our 800 litres tankage lasts us nearly three months without topping up.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 05-09-2013, 09:58   #4

They are short on flow specifications though... it's really hard to determine relative efficiency.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:06   #5

Jim, I thought of a kitchen sprayer... what I like about it is that typically when you release it, it stops spraying, versus a cutoff switch which you have to engage. That sure beats nagging people all the time.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:26   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37
I know this isn't likely within the realm for the OP, but I converted a 2.5 gallon herbicide sprayer into our new solar shower. With some slight modifications the spray nozzle works beautifully. Instant on and off. Lots of pressure. Only use what you need. My spouse and I can both shower with one tank, and she has crazy long hair. We sail in fresh water, so I'm sure our usage will be more once we move to salt, but we always use water consciously.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:37   #7

Boat: Morgan, Ocean Racer, 45'

We have a temporary shower which uses a hand held garden sprayer as the shower head. Works really great. They come in a large variety (ours is black rubber with chrome trim) with rotating heads for various spray patterns, only spray when you squeeze the grip, shutoff with no drips and cost about $5.

Temporary hell -- I think we'll keep it.

kef
Orion
kefroeschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:41   #8

I remove my regular standard shower heads install these when I am cruising
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130905_133806.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	66554  
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:41   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

The best things bought for the boat are life changing.

One of the most successful life changes was drastically reducing water consumption without it causing any disruption whatsoever.

I bought a 500 mil / 1 pint spray bottle for EACH faucet.
And I bought a solar camping shower.

Fill all the spray bottle and HALF-fill the camping shower and turn OFF the electricity!!!!!

When washing hands one uses the spray bottle.
When showering use the shower bag. When it runs out the shower ends.

If there is any disputes find a way to unplug the electricity from the water pump that the erstwhile water wasters cant fix.

2 girls - No Complaints! It is possible!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	228170_1_1.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	66555  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:41   #10

While a lower flow shower head would save some water, we've found the preferable method is a shower shutoff valve at the base of the handle. It keeps the temperature constant and saves a LOT of water. Reply #1 here: Grohe faucet/shower handle replacement w/picture
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:47   #11

Not to bogart the thread but wondering if those folks who converted pesticide sprayers could give a few more details on what alterations you made? Photos? Cheers, TCG.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
After a lot of searching and futile experimentation, we've ended up with a replacement spray nozzle from the kitchen sink department of Bunnings (Australian equivalent of HD).
Don't know what the quantitative flow rate is but it is about perfect for frugal showering, and the shut off is complete. Cost about five dollars! We both like it better than any of the "marine shower" devices sold in chandleries.

And 60 gallons of fresh water in 18 hours??? That would be grounds for divorce and/or infanticide or other drastic measures in most cruising circles! For contrast, after many years of cruising experience, Ann and I average 12 Litres of fresh water per day with no feelings of hardship... thus our 800 litres tankage lasts us nearly three months without topping up.

Cheers,

Jim
I like the kitchen sink nozzle idea.... anything with an "auto-off" lever would be good... much easier than an on-off button while your hands are soapy... and the default is conservation. I've had hand held devices that are a PITA to shut off and on....
Wow... 60 gals in less than a day?
I'm not sure showerhead flow is the answer. Ive had wimpy flow devices in the past.. my conclusion was I just had to use the water longer to get a good rinse... so is there really an advantage? Good strong flow and a user that understands how to conserve is the answer to me.
I guess you could install a 12v intermittant time delay relay on the pump power.... 12 seconds on, 12 seconds wait time....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:30   #13

Boat: Outbound 44

The best handheld shower head I've had is made by Scandvik. Shutoff on the handle, small size, limited flow. Not cheap.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:35   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 54DS
Try the Grohe Rainshower Eco hand shower.
Phoenician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:37   #15

Boat: Catalina 387

I really like the oxygenics showerhead I have in my motorhome. Id put one on the boat if I took showers on the boat.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, paracelle, shower