Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2012, 00:43   #1

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
My first education into traveling toilets was in my 44' toy hauler. The restroom is about phone booth sized, and Clark Kent would be clostsrphobic. In the middle of the grand room, was a plastic toilet, that broke the first time I sat on it. Bowl started to buckle.

First time I saw a porcelain RV loo, I purchased it. Still little better, because of the silly room it was in, designed for an anorexic 8 year old.

I had a spare house toilet in my shop, left over from a bathroom remodel job. The next trip, I sat that in a corner of the toy hauler garage, and covered it in plastic.

First time I needed to create some fertilizer on the trip, I excused myself, and locked myself in the garage. I uncovered my toilet, and got a kitchen garbage bag, placing it inside the toilet, and lowered the seat.

Now that was more like it. Largest room on the trailer, outfitted with everything to make a dump, a great (& comfortable) one.

I tied a knot in the sack, a simple one, very tight, then slipped the bag inside out, tied a second knot. Double bagged, with one bag! Perfect. Then I walked the warm bundle to the dumpster and it ended up next to a diaper. How fitting!

That was years ago, and every trip, my wife and guests have their restroom, and I have mine that no-one knows about (till now)

Last fall, I got back into sailing. First sailboat had a used portapotty. Threw it away and just never used anything in the way of a toilet on the mac 25. Now I have a larger sailboat, and again, I threw away the old disgusting plastic portapotty. It was looking past its prime.

My brain started thinking, and I figured, why not use what worked so well for me in my RV?

I found a good used land toilet. Removed the back tank, and removed everything from the tank.

Then I poured plaster paris in the main basin drain in the bottom of the toilet. Let cure. Then took white silicone, and made a waterproof covering over the plaster and on to the porcelain just enough to make the bowl water tight. Did the same thing to the back tank. Back tank is now empty with a flush handle that is for looks only.

Mount the bowl to the floor, mount the back tank to the wall above the bowl. Looks like a traditional toilet in a house.

Mount a kitchen paper towel rack, that in this case holds a roll of garbage bags, close to the toilet. Place a garbage bag in the toilet, and if you wish, you can also protect the toilet seat with the bag. Try different ways till you get a fit/function you like. A pet pee pad or diaper, can be placed in the garbage bag for absorbentsy.

Once used, the bag can be double knotted and placed in the back tank, inside another garbage bag, waiting to be properly disposed of.

Each flush costs less than a quarter if you use absorbent pads.

No water
No plumbing
No mess
No pumpout
No smell
No bugs
No toilet seat to clean
No clogged toilet
No hassles
No holding tank to leak
No worries

Total cost of this with a new toilet, less than $150. Total cost with scrounged used toilet, less than $50 including bags and pee pads.

What looks better, popping your head in a yacht head, a portapotty, a complicated marine head that is sometimes hard to figure out, and most boats have rules of usage, that will get you tossed off the boat, if you do not follow the rules, or a 100% fresh and clean simple to use wag bag porcelain toilet with simple instructions?

I will also be installing a second unit, under a berth in the aft cabin, for me. Yep, cannot comfortably fit in the head of my sailboat, any better than I can fit in the RV. Sucks being a giant sometimes.

I see threads in boat forums, debating the best head to use, and frankly, I looked at lots of ideas, and all of them stunk (pardon the pun) for one or more reasons. Cost, install headaches, pumpout hastles, odors.

The best solution for me, was kiss. Keep it simple simple.

Click image for larger version

Name:	low-flow-toilet.jpeg
Views:	635
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	49926
Old 19-11-2012, 01:36   #2
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch
Re: The Head To End All Heads

I'm betting your gonna be close to alone in thinking thats a great solution. A full time cruiser needs a working toilet and holding tank. Wag bags dont even begin to cut it on a daily basis. Why not get a new marine head? Well designed, brand new systems work great. I understand where your coming from but dont think it makes sense. If you have space for a home head, plumb it and run it. That would be the head to end all heads, and prove your crafty. But a sealed up dry toilet? 5 gallon bucket maybe?
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 01:49   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

low tech,light weight alternative,with great views and air conditioning
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Csvargo 065.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	419.9 KB
ID:	49928  
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 02:25   #4

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
Now if there just was somewhere nearby to hold the magazines and newspaper that would be perfect!
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 04:50   #5

I like it.
But is there really no smell? Promise?

When I was trailer-sailoring I used one of those camping toilet seats that is simply a folding stool (pun, see what I did there...) that one hangs a bag in.

No matter how I tied the baggies (tie, turn inside-out and tie again, and put inside another bag) there was still some smell.
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 05:00   #6

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Necessity may be the mother of invention, but desperation is definitely the father
Old 19-11-2012, 05:03   #7

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Plastic kitty litter containers with the lid make a good storage place as well -- and they are square. From Wal-mart you can find scented garbage bags (the medium size fit my container) pine isn't so great -- try vanilla. The litter serves another feature too -- smell abatement. Disposal once a week ashore is discrete and the carry handle is sturdy.

Aside: I'm also using a spare kitty litter box in my cockpit for the stop anchor line and chain. In partial sun they last a few months ... I've used one in my dink to carry stuff I didn't want to get wet but frankly they are a pain for that purpose (to large, too rigid)

I am real particular about smells and find this the best solution. A bit of kitty litter in the bottom of the bag (shake when done) keeps odor away. I've also taken to dropping the #2's into empty food containers -- like the old coffee creamer, spaghetti sauce jars, peanut containers -- basically anything with a lid.

There is NO ODOR in my head, cabin, et al.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 06:13   #8

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Isn't this solution awfully heavy?
Old 19-11-2012, 06:26   #9

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Just wait till you have people over who don't realize it doesn't flush.
Old 19-11-2012, 06:43   #10

Boat: CORBIN 39

maybe not you, but I can see lots of plastic bags floating in the ocean now!
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 06:49   #11

I'll stick with my Lavac and holding tank thank you very much..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 07:53   #12

Boat: Seaward 22

This could work fine for weekending on your boat, but for extending cruising I don't think it is very practical.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 08:33   #13

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
I could only imagine the laughs I would get while reading the paper while using that at anchor next to a Marina... Hilarious
Old 19-11-2012, 08:34   #14

Boat: Cal 2-27

I could fabricate them and sell them to cruisers and then post it on the making money while cruising thread
Old 19-11-2012, 09:04   #15

Boat: Lagoon 440

In most third world or just poorer countries there are people constantly going through rubbish at dockside, you could end up wearing this idea literally!

An Atlantic crossing boggles my mind 6 crew x 21 days x 3 uses each AAAAGGHHHHH!!!!

I'll stick to the norm methinks... Cheers made me smile!