Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2012, 20:08   #106
Marine Service Provider

Re: The Head Smells Bad

One vinegar treatment (use only distilled white vinegar, NOT cider or wine), left in only an hour, is enough. The most important thing in preparing for extended layup is to THOROUGHLY flush out all the plumbing--including the overboard discharge pump--and the tank with plenty of clean fresh water.

To rinse out the toilets, disconnect the intake line from the thru-hull...stick it into a bucket of clean fresh water to which you've added a quart of vinegar...flush the whole bucketful through the toilet. Two toilets, one bucketful each. An hour later, another bucketful without the vinegar. Since the boat will be on the hard, you can leave the inlet hoses off the the thru-hull till you get back if you want to.

Assuming that the tank is plumbed to a deck pumpout fitting, even if you never use it, it's actually fairly easy to flush out the tank. Put about 6" of water in the tank VIA THE DECK FITTING--'cuz that sends the water into the tank at the bottom to stir up any sludge...pump that overboard. Repeat...repeat...till you're pumping clean water. In fact, you can even just stick a hose--NOT the same hose used to fill your water tank!--into the deck fitting...let the water run long enough put several inches into the tank, then start the over board pump while the water continues to run. You'll leave an inch of water in the tank...add a normal dose of your tank product.

Backflush the vent line...you're done.

When you return, backflush the vent line again to evict any critters that took up housekeeping in it...put a tablespoon of mineral oil into the bowl with your first flush.
Depending on the age of your toilets and how long it's been since they were rebuilt, you may want to consider doing that...rubber and neoprene don't profit from sitting unused and dry. If your overboard pump is an impeller pump, be sure to bring a couple of spare impellers back with you...and use one of 'em as part of your recommissioning.

And you should recommission your potable water system when you return...I've posted directions here for doing that.

Have a safe trip in both directions! Give me a shout when you return to the boat if you have questions during recommissioning.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 07:11   #107

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Appreciate all your help Peggie and I am sure that everyone (including the old salt dogs) learn a great deal from the many experts that are willing to share their knowledge on this forum. I have learned a great deal from the many members who contribute on a regular basis on a wide range of issues.

This really helps some of us newer cruisers enjoy the experience without having to learn the hard way all the time.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 14:22   #108
Marine Service Provider

One of my favorite sayings is, "A wise man learns from experience; a wiser man learns from others' experience."
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 17:36   #109

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36

Fascinating discussion from all concerned. I am looking to spec a new boat soon, so this is very timely. On my previous boat I installed a Lavac, and had no problem...but guests seemed to have trouble sometimes getting the vacuum going.

I hope Irishlass posts the outcome....my wife has super smelling powers.....and so Peggie I am going to buy your book !
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head