Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 10:44   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Re: The Head Smells Bad

Quote:
apparently this is a huge issue.
Oh yes. Since they invented boats. Not always discussed in polite society but you know one when you have one.

I'll also add a plug the Trident Hose. I've used the 101 and 102. We have some threads on working with this hose as it is a might bit stiff. There are a few tricks to making the job go easier during replacement.

It's also a nice treat having Peg around.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:54   #62

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Oh yes. Since they invented boats. Not always discussed in polite society but you know one when you have one.

I'll also add a plug the Trident Hose. I've used the 101 and 102. We have some threads on working with this hose as it is a might bit stiff. There are a few tricks to making the job go easier during replacement.

It's also a nice treat having Peg around.

Thank you Paul. I am making note of all this for the task at hand. Yes....I can tell that Peg is quite the authority at this area and very generous to share her wealth of information. Thanks to all who have shared on this post.
IrishLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:05   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLass View Post
Thank you Paul. I am making note of all this for the task at hand. Yes.... I can tell that Peg is quite the authority at this area and very generous to share her wealth of information. Thanks to all who have shared on this post.
Yes indeed! In fact, Ms Hall's pseudonym has been the "Head Mistress".

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:23   #64

Boat: 43' Vista Aft Cabin 'Victoria"

Unsolicited endorsement: If you want a proper santitation system, buy Peggy Hall's book.
Nothing more to say.......
Old 03-03-2011, 15:34   #65
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardav View Post
Unsolicited endorsement: If you want a proper santitation system, buy Peggy Hall's book.
Nothing more to say.......
You mean, Peg Hall: Surf Girl, Yoga Teacher, Healthy Eating therapist etc etc...

Hey - where can I find an 'unsolicited' link to such a work? And can we compare heads? I'll bet mine smells better (on account of it being 'ladies only')!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 16:46   #66

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

SS, no actual man i know would allow himself to be banished from the head, what gets deposited in the head doesnt smell any worse on a boat than it does in a house, its the boats plumbing system that stinks worse than the sum of the contents and women contribute to that just as much as men do.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 17:38   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

The contents of the men and women may be the same but the woman spray alot more fragrant stuff around, in my experience.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 19:30   #68

Boat: Pearson Vanguard 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
What kind of cooking oil is "non vegetable?" It would have to be animal fat...and the only ones I can think of are butter and lard.
Yeah, I guess it is vegetable oil. Any cooking oil I have on board.
sscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 19:33   #69
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy Sailoress View Post
You mean, Peg Hall: Surf Girl, Yoga Teacher, Healthy Eating therapist etc etc...
Noooo...none of the above, although I prob'ly should read their work!

Quote:
Hey - where can I find an 'unsolicited' link to such a work?
Weeelll...if you go to my publisher's site Bahamas and Caribbean Information, Boating Books, Cruising Guides and do a search for "Peggie Hall" (be careful to spell Peggie correctly) I THINK you might find it.

I have NO idea why a link to "seaworthy.com" comes up as "Bahamas...etc"...but I checked it and it does land on Seaworthy's home page

Quote:
And can we compare heads?I'll bet mine smells better (on account of it being 'ladies only')!
You don't have to totally banish men from the head...just insist that all gentlemen be seated when using the head for any reason. Only you know what would be effective in dealing with evidence of non-compliance.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 19:56   #70

Boat: Pearson Vanguard 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Noooo...none of the above, although I prob'ly should read their work!

Weeelll...if you go to my publisher's site Bahamas and Caribbean Information, Boating Books, Cruising Guides and do a search for "Peggie Hall" (be careful to spell Peggie correctly) I THINK you might find it.

I have NO idea why a link to "seaworthy.com" comes up as "Bahamas...etc"...but I checked it and it does land on Seaworthy's home page

You don't have to totally banish men from the head...just insist that all gentlemen be seated when using the head for any reason. Only you know what would be effective in dealing with evidence of non-compliance.
And that's not an unfair request when you are the one doing housekeeping chores.
sscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 20:03   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Personally I think it's uncivilized to stand when urinating (in a toilet) but with a composter sitting is really important.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:15   #72

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

I totally agree that men should sit to pee on a boat from a housekeeping standpoint, it just makes sense, (i also dont allow going off the stern on my boats, not worth the safety risk.) However the subject was about the smell and the inference was that men stink the place up more than the ladies do which of course is hogwash, the initial dump is just a temporary odor just like at home, the plumbing is what causes the long term 24/7 stench, imho the best solution is to rip it all out and replace it with a composter and claim back the wasted storage space at the same time. Unfortunatly on many smaller boats the tank and hoses run right under your pillow in the vee berth. I have a recently purchased boat where the entire storage area under the vee berth is off limits for storage due to this, the tank is plastic and at the fwd end under my feet so as not to waste too much space but this leads to very long,( read very expensive) hoses which, long term,are consumables. Its got to go.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:45   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
I totally agree that men should sit to pee on a boat from a housekeeping standpoint, it just makes sense, (i also dont allow going off the stern on my boats, not worth the safety risk.) However the subject was about the smell and the inference was that men stink the place up more than the ladies do which of course is hogwash, the initial dump is just a temporary odor just like at home, the plumbing is what causes the long term 24/7 stench, imho the best solution is to rip it all out and replace it with a composter and claim back the wasted storage space at the same time. Unfortunatly on many smaller boats the tank and hoses run right under your pillow in the vee berth. I have a recently purchased boat where the entire storage area under the vee berth is off limits for storage due to this, the tank is plastic and at the fwd end under my feet so as not to waste too much space but this leads to very long,( read very expensive) hoses which, long term,are consumables. Its got to go.
Steve.

The size of "all" the component parts of a wet system is absurd.

rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 14:34   #74

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I suspect that freshwater flush will help in most cases. I know from personal experience that hose is the worst offender. I chose PVC pipe and now have no hose odor cause there is almost no hose. I still get some seawater smell but to me it's less bothersome than diesel. Proper installation of PVC is a project but I find it worthwhile.

I do have vivid memories of staggering down the dock with my coveralls, a respriator and goggles on, carrying a semi full, plugged up holding tank with pin holes leaking all over me. A couple of older ladies were coming down the dock with their poodle and they beat a hurried retreat when they saw the awful sight that I had become. Disposal was a problem. Ahh the joys of boat ownwership.

Thank goodness for the honest payback of being on the water.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 15:08   #75
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Head Smells Bad

Hummingway.... having great respect for you.. both as a man and a 'Mod'....
I heeded your advice re sitting to have a pee...
Sorry mate... no way again.... the porcelains to cold...
and the looks the other guys were giving me down at the mall urinals...
forget it mate...
I'll stand and stand Proud....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head