Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2014, 15:55   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
The frugal sailors stove

Today I replaced my 42 year old RV stove with a New RV stove. I went with an RV stove for several reasons. First and most importantly cost. The new stove (a scratch and dent model, really just a few scuffs on the door) was less then $290 including shipping from a seller on ebay. Marine stoves start at about $1200 and go up from there. Second, being an RV stove parts when needed will be far less expensive then the equivalent marine version.

The old Trav'ler RV stove had gimbals and a latch installed. I was able to reuse both the gimbals and the latch ( simple sliding door latch) on the new stove).

Of course it helped that the boats galley was designed around an RV stove in the first place. My boat being the yachtcraft kit version of the Islander 34. But the dimensions for the RV stoves are pretty close to a marine stove, so others can do this too. It was surprisingly ease to do.

I pop riveted the old gimbals plates to the new stove using steel rivets. The balance point sits a little more toward the front of the stove, but its not bad at all.

Below are photo's of the old stove and new stove. I used the boom vang to hoist the old stove up and to lower the new stove down, using the boom and main halyard, much like how an engine is pulled.

The whole remove and replace only took a few hours too. I still have to rework the fiddles on the new stove. But that will be for another day (real soon)

I am a very happy camper. First for saving a ton of money and second for having a shiny new stove. Happy Happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03699.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	94448   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03708.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	94450  

sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 16:03   #2

Boat: CS36T
Re: The frugal sailors stove

Looks great nice job!
Old 28-12-2014, 16:19   #3

Good on ya!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 16:23   #4

Nicely done, and useful input for others.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 16:42   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

SC, does the RV stove have "flame-out" cutoffs? And what brand is it? Sounds like a pretty good deal if it has the appropriate safety features.

Jim
Old 28-12-2014, 16:58   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The frugal sailors stove

Good one..
You can also re-jet domestic cookers for those with cats who may want a Bigger cooker.. tho' a couple of friends have done it in their mono's..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 17:10   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
SC, does the RV stove have "flame-out" cutoffs? And what brand is it? Sounds like a pretty good deal if it has the appropriate safety features.

Jim
Alas, it only has a thermocouple on the oven, the top burners do not have thermocouple cutoff. But then nether did my old stove. I don't leave the stove unattended when cooking and will close/ lower hatches when the winds are up.

I do have a propane sniffer near it to cut the gas off should it go out. One nice feature is the knobs have to be pushed in to turn them on. So cats can't walk on them and turn the knobs.

The stove is an Atwood wedgewood vision (the base unit without electronic ignition). It has a rotating clicker to light the burners. My preference is to have a simpler stove with fewer safeties or things to fail. Weird I know. But then I sit directly across from the stove, so it's always in line of sight.

I've a friend who complains that her newer propane stove in her house, needs power to light the burners and will not light if there is no power. Yes its safer, but useless when the power goes out during a winter store which is common where she lives.

Edit: the stove is 21" wide, 20" deep and 17" high. They make a 20" high model too with a slightly higher oven. Plus the electronic ignition option. Normal price online ranges from $440 to $700. $700 being list I think. Ebay has some at lower price, either scratch and dent or pulled from an RV.
Old 28-12-2014, 17:15   #8

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

Smart girl! Congrats!! Hum... I really need a new one around... (stove..)
Old 28-12-2014, 17:20   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Its not pink.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 17:28   #10

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I have that exact stove in my RV...

One observation.. Ours will not light if we have the overhead fan turned on in the RV. The ignition system relies on the heavier (than air) propane flowing down some tubes to a pan in the center of the stove where the piezo spark is. Its seems that even a small amount of wind will stop the propane from flowing down the tubes. If you are having issues with it igniting, make sure there is not any air movement.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 17:50   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Its not pink.
Well actually pink would have clashed with the interior. Pink stoves are REALLY hard to find.
Old 28-12-2014, 17:55   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I have that exact stove in my RV...

One observation.. Ours will not light if we have the overhead fan turned on in the RV. The ignition system relies on the heavier (than air) propane flowing down some tubes to a pan in the center of the stove where the piezo spark is. Its seems that even a small amount of wind will stop the propane from flowing down the tubes. If you are having issues with it igniting, make sure there is not any air movement.
Hum, are your burners part of the stove top, or are they connected to the feed tube. Adwood makes two types of burners. The electronic ignition burner's are part of the stove top, no hole between burner and top plate. Mine is the non-electronic ignition type with the burner attached to the feed tube and a larger opening in the top. Makes for a messier cleanup sometime.

I will keep an eye on it in any case.
Old 28-12-2014, 18:10   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Anyone who leaves a stove burning on a boat un-monitored is foolish, and with the propane solenoid, the thermocouples for the burners are un-needed.
You need it for the oven of course as you can't observe that flame.
Understanding the operating principle of a thing is safer than relying on safety devices that can fail.

Hope you enjoy it
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 18:16   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Anyone who leaves a stove burning on a boat un-monitored is foolish, and with the propane solenoid, the thermocouples for the burners are un-needed.
IMO, anyone who believes that a cook will ALWAYS be monitoring the flame on a stove is foolish, and the tank solenoid valve serves a completely different purpose than the thermo cutoffs.

I sometimes simmer things for hours and I don't want to stand there staring at the burner for all that time... or even much shorter time periods. I reckon that the cutoffs are a worthwhile safety device, and I'm no safety at all costs nut.

I'm kinda surprised at your attitude, A64!

Jim
Old 28-12-2014, 18:20   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You need it for the oven of course as you can't observe that flame.
Understanding the operating principle of a thing is safer than relying on safety devices that can fail.

Hope you enjoy it
I am. Got biscuits in the oven. temperature seems right on the money and the oven door is only warm to the touch (at 400 degrees F). I like it LOTS...

Tags
sail