Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-12-2014, 10:21   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: The frugal sailors stove

Not sure....Does NFPA apply to recreational vehicles (boats and autos)?

My one year old home propane stove is a POS. Burners don't light well. Had the service guy out twice while in warranty. He couldn't find anything wrong (other than it didnt light a lot of the time!) I finally suggested we drillout the little hole in the burner cap that allows gas to the light spark area. We did that and it seemed to work!
I swear, so many manufacturers don't even test their own products.... I had a Mr Coffee coffee maker for a couple years... you could not pour a cup of coffee with that without it spilling all over the counter... I guess they don't drink coffee at Mr Coffee! Finally I bought Black and Decker and it's fine.... I guess a company that makes drills knows how to make a coffee maker better... haha

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 10:21   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

On a couple boats I've used $40 camp stoves, bolted to the counter with a wing nut, allowing me to take it outside and cook in the cockpit on hot days. On another boat, I removed the alcohol stove/oven and installed a $150 stainless RV stove, opening up a lot of space underneath.

I'd never remove a good, properly operating propane marine unit, but when it comes to replacement time, there most certainly are notably cheaper options for the frugal cruiser.

Old 29-12-2014, 10:26   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
The frugal sailors stove

Our boat came with a Seaward range oven. It has a solenoid for the propane. It has a thermocouple for the oven but not for the stove top burners. No electronic ignition. We light the burners with a butane lighter. This is a marine unit typical of a 25 year old boat. We've had it for 15 years. We live aboard and cook most meals aboard. Thermocouple protection would be good. But I doubt I'll ever have to replace the range oven so we'll just continue to be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29-12-2014, 10:52   #34

Boat: gone boatless

Sailor Chic: That's a great stove, I bought one used several years ago for another boat. One cheap safety idea, is a wind up mechanical timer switch (from an appliance parts store) wired to the propane solenoid. These are for 120V appliances, but work fine on 12V. They come in minutes to 60, and hours to 4, 6 etc. We are constantly forgetting to turn ours off, the damned thing gets hot and wastes amps when at anchor, and hastens the eventual burnout. Well done!
Old 29-12-2014, 11:36   #35

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

If they ever perfect cloning, I recommend the SC version.! 😁
Great job on sourcing.!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 31-12-2014, 08:39   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesoldier0408 View Post
If they ever perfect cloning, I recommend the SC version.! 😁
Great job on sourcing.!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I recall the saying of...

"There can be too much of a good thing..."

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 09:04   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

For many, many years I used Magic Chef eye-level oven ranges in my galley. Unfortunately, because I like to cook pasta and lobsters and stuff, the hot salt water would play hell with the guts of the stoves. That's a plural, on purpose, because they would last about ten years, each, before completely disintegrating and needing replacement. Sadly, Magic Chef stopped building the eye-level oven models. So, I purchased a perfectly good Force 10 marine stove, and with the help of a hot rod building friend, chopped it and stacked the oven on top of the burner assembly so that the size would match the old configuration. It's still sitting on the work table, waiting for me to finish fooling around with other projects.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00197.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	94598   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0915.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	94599  

Old 31-12-2014, 09:10   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
For many, many years I used Magic Chef eye-level oven ranges in my galley. Unfortunately, because I like to cook pasta and lobsters and stuff, the hot salt water would play hell with the guts of the stoves. That's a plural, on purpose, because they would last about ten years, each, before completely disintegrating and needing replacement. Sadly, Magic Chef stopped building the eye-level oven models. So, I purchased a perfectly good Force 10 marine stove, and with the help of a hot rod building friend, chopped it and stacked the oven on top of the burner assembly so that the size would match the old configuration. It's still sitting on the work table, waiting for me to finish fooling around with other projects.
THAT'S...

An AwEsOmE MOD!

Old 31-12-2014, 09:28   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Thanks MDR. It also gave me the opportunity to change out the insulation (usually light weight fiberglass batting) to some state of the art spun ceramic high temp insulation. It should help with improving the fuel economy, as well.
Old 31-12-2014, 09:49   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Not sure....Does NFPA apply to recreational vehicles (boats and autos)?
(Sorry I missed this earlier)

A most resounding YES!!!
Actually title 16 Code of Federal Regulations (16CFR) you must see that nomenclature from time to time no???

This fatty govt. book references consumer product requirements, and the different standards to which they must conform i.e NFPA, FAA, UL, ASTM, ISO etc...

Quote:
Thanks MDR. It also gave me the opportunity to change out the insulation (usually light weight fiberglass batting) to some state of the art spun ceramic high temp insulation. It should help with improving the fuel economy, as well.
Brilliant... That fiberglass stuff is crapola!

Old 31-12-2014, 10:12   #41

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Quote:
Great mod Roy, where did you get the ceramic insulation? I'd like to reline my old Hille oven.
Old 31-12-2014, 10:42   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's a question for you. Anyone ever use castable refractory? I helped build some huge gas ovens with it early in my engineering career. It comes in bags like cement, you mix it with water and pour it like cement. When it dries it is white as bone. Good up to about 2100 degrees F as I remember.... 4" of it between the oven liner and the shell would allow you to put your hand on the outer shell with the inside about 1600 degrees!
It's not near as heavy as cement when dry....

Old 31-12-2014, 10:59   #43

How heavy is it? We have to watch the weight on trimarans, if it is pounds versus ounces it won't work. The second question is who sells it. It sounds interesting, the insulation space is only a inch or 2 on the average oven so it would have to compare at that thickness.but again if it weighs like concrete that is still too much.
Old 31-12-2014, 11:22   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

just took a quick look... too heavy... 86# per cubic foot! good to 3000 degrees though! haha Not expensive..

Old 31-12-2014, 12:01   #45

That's a mooring, not an oven!

Tags
sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: