Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2012, 13:40   #46

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Re: The Best Marine Toilet

http://zone5.org/2010/02/goodbye-to-the-bucket-toilet/

KISS is the rule I apply to body waste on my yacht. Bucket, puppy pads, sacks. Do the deed with puppy pad in sack in bucket, tie knot in sack, double sack, tie second knot. Store sack in bucket until a proper disposal site comes into view.

Puppy pad is optional, but it does a great job of keeping things in the sacks, in the sacks.

No cleaning, no odor, no repairs. Perfectly logical, in a strip-mine the Earth kind of way.

The Google link shows ways of using saw dust to help return what is the Earth's, to the Earth. Also some pretty inventive buckets, that would build nicely into boats.

I have a contained system in my RV, what a pain in the ass! Once it breaks down, and it will, they always do, I go the KISS route in the RV also.

bucket toilet - Google Search
GaryMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 14:30   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Now that is an image I will have to fight everytime I try to relieve myself. Have to check the bowl twice to make sure there are no grinning sailors down there!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 15:21   #48

Boat: PETERSON 44
In 5 years I have bought new duck bills 10 bucks replaced a pump when I first bought the boat. Never been clogged. So 220 bucks in 5 or 6 years. On the sealand vacu flush. Like the Lavac too. Don't like y valves. Current vacu flush has deck pick up and separate pump for discharge. That's a very nice setup that could be applied to a Lavac as well.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 17:55   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman375 View Post
One word. Lavac. Enough said. No contest.

Agree! Put in a Lavac almost ten years ago and have not had to touch it since. Along with converting to electric propulsion one of the best improvements I ever made to the boat. Only thing simpler to operate would be a bucket.
Old 21-07-2012, 00:51   #50

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka

Agree! Put in a Lavac almost ten years ago and have not had to touch it since. Along with converting to electric propulsion one of the best improvements I ever made to the boat. Only thing simpler to operate would be a bucket.
Hey, someone listening! Lol
Old 21-07-2012, 00:57   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Goodbye to the Bucket Toilet | Zone5

KISS is the rule I apply to body waste on my yacht. Bucket, puppy pads, sacks. Do the deed with puppy pad in sack in bucket, tie knot in sack, double sack, tie second knot. Store sack in bucket until a proper disposal site comes into view.

Puppy pad is optional, but it does a great job of keeping things in the sacks, in the sacks.

No cleaning, no odor, no repairs. Perfectly logical, in a strip-mine the Earth kind of way.

The Google link shows ways of using saw dust to help return what is the Earth's, to the Earth. Also some pretty inventive buckets, that would build nicely into boats.

I have a contained system in my RV, what a pain in the ass! Once it breaks down, and it will, they always do, I go the KISS route in the RV also.

bucket toilet - Google Search
Yikes. To each his own, I guess.

Reading this made me feel better about all the struggle I've had this year with my electric toilets. They are now both functioning perfectly (hurrah!) and when I think about puppy pads (!) all the work seems eminently worthwhile.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 01:06   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

By the way, I did manage to install one of the two Raritan Sea Era toilet conversions I bought from Hopcar this winter. I could not get the d**ned Jabsco in my forward heads working (that's two out of three dead) and in desperation finally figured out how to get the sea water Raritan installed in my after heads, after which I moved the Jabsco from there forward.

The Raritan seems a better quality and better engineered device than the Jabsco. It has a diaphragm pump instead of an impeller pump on the flush side, which makes it quite a bit less noisy. There are nice touches like embedded brass nuts instead of screws going right into plastic, as in the Jabsco. It does not have any priming problems, although you have to pump it for a long time to avoid backflow. The motor is very small -- looks like half the size and mass of the Jabsco motor, which concerns me. But so far works without problems -- which is the main thing, right?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 05:41   #53

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I would stick with my bucket, but Connie wont hear of it ! LOL we installed Lavac, used it over 10 yrs had to fix it once due to a goof up LOL fine piece of equipment all most as simple as my bucket !!!
Old 21-07-2012, 06:18   #54

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I have owned many different types of marine toilets over the last 30+ years. The ones that impressed me were from Raritan. 5 years ago I installed a Raritan fresh water flush Crown that has worked flawlessly. The boat had an older Crown in the forward head that was a raw water flush. We did have problems with that one including the bowl. Prior owners appear to have used harsh cleaning stuff that actually removed some of the porcelain at the bottom of the bowl.

This year I replaced it with the fresh water flush Marine Elegance after almost purchasing the Sea Era. I purchased the tall unit which is the same height as a normal toilet along with the straight back version. The toilet abuts a wall and has a GREAT appearance.

BUT THE FLUSHES!!!! One needs to see this toilet in action to witness how well it performs! And price--- I paid $400 for it at West Marine who matched an on line price. I did order the simple push button for flushing. Raritan does offer some contraption for flushing that I believe uses a microcontroller to control the flush cycle. But a microcontroller to flush a toilet???? Other than that negative comment the ME is a fine design. If anyone is serious about purchasing an electric toilet, they really should get info from others about this fine product. I highly recommend it.......but that means nothing.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 07:24   #55

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Update on the LAVAC: I attempted to install one this week on an old Catalina 30, but the constriction on the hose due to small space made it impossible. Fortunately, I was able to purchase the unit from the owners and will be installing a second head in my own boat. Current price, delivered to your door, is $491.36 from St. Brendan's Isle in Florida.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 19:31   #56

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbatical II View Post
The old designs are sometimes the best. This is the "seat of ease" at the bow of the Endeavour replica. It has never clogged and best used when running downwind.

I actually have an updated version of this occupying a bit of the cockpit on the port side opposite my helm station. It is enclosed and has a shower head on a hose as well. Since it is positioned over the bridgedeck of my catamaran there is privacy. We don't use paper, I have a small plastic watering can on the bench alongside the exit (the strong breeze coming up the exit makes throwing paper down iffy) - but using a tabo for rinsing after going is common here in the Philippines. An advantage to cruising the third world is many fewer (enforced) regulations with respect to various personal choices. I do have two 'downstairs' compartments that can take a commode and holding tank if I or the next owner want (or must) add more conventional conveniences later. Doesn't use power, no clogging, inexpensive, will use either fresh or salt water, and easy to clean - especially while showering.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 19:51   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

For those (like me) who don't know what a tabo is:

Tabo: The Toilet Paper Alternative in the Philippines: What is it and How to Use It - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 21:41   #58

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I still like my bucket !! LOL Have always used a tabo to clean with useing a bucket! makes it easier to clean the bucket also !! sure do like the HEAD on your boat bruce626 !! some skookum !!
Old 24-07-2012, 22:07   #59
Marine Service Provider

Have had Lavac heads since the 1990's. Never understood why someone would want electric head unless they have impaired use of their arm. Lavac is simple and reliable. We have two heads and I've been thinking about a composting toilet for environmental reasons. Places we like to go don't have pumpout facilities and we can be anchored in one spot for 3 or 4 weeks, which is more than the holding tank can handle. We like the clean wake concept. I think the combination of the Lavac and a composting toilet could be the best of both worlds.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 01:36   #60
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I have two of the noisy Jabsco electric toilets with the integral mascerator. Both are over 20 years old still going fine. The marcerator is great for holding tanks and handling guests

Wouldn't have manual toilets anymore.

Dave

Tags
marine