Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2017, 22:56   #1

Boat: Custom
Tecma Toilet Silent Plus overflowing

I have a tecma toilet that has worked flawlessly, today, after a week off the boat (and when going away for a week with 3 teenage boys!!) I turned on the power to the head and the pre flush started automatically (no buttons touched) and the water continued in until overflowing (clean thank goodness).

The wall switch is the two button variety.

I have tried the spare switch and solenoid that came with the boat and the fault continued.

The inlet pump is a Shurflo 3901-2204 (http://shurflo.com/images/files/pdf/...03901-2204.pdf)

When I remove the power to the inlet pump obviously the water stops flowing and it flushes fine using the shower head to apply water to the bowl.

So I am a little stumped what I should do next?

Anyone had or heard of a similar experience and what was the solution?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas.

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 02:49   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Tecma Toilet Silent Plus overflowing

I have the same toilets (2 button type), but mine is connected to FW flush

The wall switch has a timer adjustment for the solenoid that opens and closes the water feed....Could that have been turned up to max, which would cause overflow??
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 06:20   #3
Marine Service Provider

I have tried the spare switch and solenoid that came with the boat and the fault continued. When I remove the power to the inlet pump obviously the water stops flowing and it flushes fine using the shower head to apply water to the bowl.

By process of elimination, you've narrowed the source of the problem down the remote intake pump. So what you should do next is contact Shurflo tech support to find out whether it's repairable or you need a new pump.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 13:52   #4

Boat: Custom

Thanks Everyone,

Yes Peggy, I think it is probably the pump, apparently, there is a switch which I read go fairly often.

Thank you again, everyone, and have a Merry Christmas.

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 14:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post
I have tried the spare switch and solenoid that came with the boat and the fault continued.
Don't rule out the spare kit being faulty, especially if it was not "brand new" in original packaging
notiesbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 15:51   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I’m not familiar with the Tecma but from reading this I know it has a timer, a solenoid valve and a Shurflo Pressure Pump.

It sounds to me that when you push the button it starts the timer which sends power to the solenoid. The solenoid opens the valve allowing water to flow into the toilet. As the pressure in the line drops the ShurFlo turns on. The ShurFlo will continue to run until the timer shuts off the power to the solenoid. When the solenoid loses power the valve shuts. With the valve shut, pressure will build in the line until the pressure switch on the pump shuts it off.

If water continues to flow into the toilet, the valve has to be open. It sounds like a problem with the timer or solenoid valve to me.

If the problem was with the pump pressure switch, the solenoid valve would close as it should and prevent the bowl from overflowing. The pump would continue to build pressure in the line until it stalled or something broke.
Old 23-12-2017, 16:26   #7
Marine Service Provider

I may be onto something. Until he mentioned a solenoid valve, I assumed the toilet is a sea water toilet 'cuz toilets designed to use pressurized water don't have intake pumps, but some do have solenoid valves (they work kinda like a faucet does to allow and block the flow of water). But the only solenoid valves in a sea water inlet line is the one on the vented loop. It has nothing to do with the operation of any intake pump, remote or integral...it's sole flunction is to open and close the air valve on the top of the vented loop (siphon break). The solenoid closes it when the flush button is pushed to allow the pump to prime and bring in flush water, opens it to break the flow when flush button is released. If it's not opening when the flush button is released to let air into the line to break the flow of incoming flush water, that COULD be what's causing his problem.

Merry Christmas, y'all!

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
Old 23-12-2017, 17:16   #8
CF Adviser

This was my post suggesting the timer is at fault.

It is adjustable, so hopefully a simple fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I have the same toilets (2 button type), but mine is connected to FW flush

The wall switch has a timer adjustment for the solenoid that opens and closes the water feed....Could that have been turned up to max, which would cause overflow??
Old 24-12-2017, 12:53   #9
Marine Service Provider

I don't think so...'cuz the solenoid in pressurized (fresh water) flush acts like a faucet...the water behind it always pressurized...turning the faucet on and off opens the line to let water in, closes it to block the flow of water. Sea water inlet pumps don't have a solenoid...but there can be one to open and close the air valve on the top of the vented loop. As I write this, I'm beginning think it's not the culprit after all...'cuz if the pump shuts off as it's supposed to do when the flush button is released, how can water still be flowing to the toilet? So I'm back to, the switch in the pump that's supposed to turn it off has failed and isn't turning it off.

I think it's time for him to have a chat with Shurflo's tech support...which will have to wait till Tues.

Peggie
Old 24-12-2017, 18:49   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Peggie I had to look up this toilet. It appears it is sold as a fresh water flush toilet without a supply pump and as a raw water flush with a remote supply pump.

They also sell the fresh water flush version in the RV market.

Other than the remote supply pump, the toilets are the same. They both seem to use a solenoid valve to control the incoming water.
Old 24-12-2017, 20:29   #11
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
I don't think so...'cuz the solenoid in pressurized (fresh water) flush acts like a faucet...the water behind it always pressurized...turning the faucet on and off opens the line to let water in, closes it to block the flow of water. Sea water inlet pumps don't have a solenoid...but there can be one to open and close the air valve on the top of the vented loop. As I write this, I'm beginning think it's not the culprit after all...'cuz if the pump shuts off as it's supposed to do when the flush button is released, how can water still be flowing to the toilet? So I'm back to, the switch in the pump that's supposed to turn it off has failed and isn't turning it off.

I think it's time for him to have a chat with Shurflo's tech support...which will have to wait till Tues.

Peggie
I just checked my Tecma manual this Xmas morning and the Salt/Raw Water installation does not use the Fresh water "electrovalve" that I use on the Fresh Water supply. It is supposedly delivered with a supply pump and the discharge macerator pump

The "Shaft Trimmer" at the rear of the control panel is to adjust the water level in bowl to an optimum 1cm above the discharge hole.

One note they say for the salt water feed, is to make sure the water is prefiltered.

So as usual...your instincts are correct Peggie! ....Merry Xmas to All
Old 25-12-2017, 02:11   #12

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

I have 3 Tecma units in my boat, they are all single button types, but are very similar, they can all be changed from raw to fresh flush. I have had the op's problem a few times, and always rectified it by removing and cleaning the solenoid valve. I have had many boats with different toilets, and find the Tecma give the least problems of any, including manual flush types. Many years ago I sailed on an ocean racer, with a "Ball Head" toilet, dont remember the brand, but it was the simplest and best toilet I have seen, only required 1 skinfitting, sucked in and pumped out thru the same one.
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil