Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2015, 04:06   #1

Boat: Fusion 40 Catamaran
Tecma Toilet 12v

I have a 12v Tecma Toilet. Every now and then it doesn't flush properly. The macerator/pump stops working allowing the bowl to continue filling. I don't know whether it is a problem with the pump or an electronic problem. Pushing both buttons also doesn't work (doesn't empty the bowl). Any advise would be appreciated.
islandbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 04:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Tecma Toilet 12v

http://www.bukh-bremen.de/files/346/...uch%20engl.pdf

Tips about our products | Thetford Marine

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 13:08   #3
Marine Service Provider

I have the exploded drawing and parts list for the Tecma...send me an email (can't attach to a PM) if you'd like to have it.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 16:14   #4

Possibly blockage in pipe, after less than 2 years a new 36 mm hose had less than 6 mm left down the middle, hose completely calcified up. Urine and seawater combine to create pipe blocking rock. My macerator pump teeth and blade where also caked. Once the hose is removed the incrustation can be cracked out and flushed away with a hose pipe. At the same time clean and or replace the joker valve.

Welcome to the worst job on a boat. The only good thing about working on the head is the satisfaction once cleaned up after it is working properly again.
PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 16:36   #5

Boat: 1969 Roamer ChrisCraft, Riveria, 46'

Had the same problem with my Tecma this past spring. It was scale blockage in the downstream sanitation hose. I replaced the hose and all is good.

I also installed a shutoff switch between the control panel and the freshwater flush solenoid so I can manually stop water flow at any point. With the freshwater flush it took 10 years for scale buildup to become a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
neptunesjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 17:18   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
Possibly blockage in pipe, after less than 2 years a new 36 mm hose had less than 6 mm left down the middle, hose completely calcified up. Urine and seawater combine to create pipe blocking rock. My macerator pump teeth and blade where also caked. Once the hose is removed the incrustation can be cracked out and flushed away with a hose pipe. At the same time clean and or replace the joker valve.

Welcome to the worst job on a boat. The only good thing about working on the head is the satisfaction once cleaned up after it is working properly again.
No need to remove any hoses. A 12-15% solution of hydrochloric (known in the US a s muriatic) acid will dissolve it. Might take more than one application to get rid of all the buildup.

And once you have cleaned it all out of the system, a cupful (100 ml) of undiluted distilled white vinegar flushed down the toilet once a week--and right before the boat will sit any time--will prevent future buildup.

Even after 25 years of solving people's potty plumbing problems, I'm still amazed by the number of people who can give you 25 ways to CURE a problem, but not one to prevent it....who've never figured out that prevention is always cheaper and easier than cure because you can do preventive maintenance on YOUR terms when it's convenient, but the same is never true for repairs.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil