Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2018, 07:33   #1

TDX System Sea Ray 360 AC

Just purchased a 1987 Sea Ray 360 Aft Cabin. I'm confused on whether the TDX System for treating waste is Necessary? My last boat, waste went directly to the holding tank. Any Help would be appreciated!
Waldois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:18   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: TDX System Sea Ray 360 AC

The TDX system, renamed the SanX) in the '90s and then discontinued at least 15 years ago was a combination 9 gallon holding tank/Type I treatment device. The treatment function would not be legal in "No discharge" waters. But you wouldn't want to use the chemical certified for use with it even if you are in waters where it's legal to discharge treated waste anyway because it's a nasty formaldehyde based witches brew that may kill off the required amount of bacteria but not ANY of the odor. I had a TDX on an '85 340 SeaRay, so I know that SeaRay puts the discharge thru-hull above the waterline. I had to make sure I was in open water well away from any other traffer and running at about 1500 rpms to create wash over the thru-hull 'cuz otherwise the stench drifting back into the cockpit during the several minutes it took to empty the tank was awful.

So what you actually have a 9 gallon holding tank that you'll pob'ly want to replace with a larger one. The only light you need to pay any attention to is the level in the tank. When it reaches 3/4 full, it's actually only 1 flush away from full, two away from overflowing out the vent.

If you're also new to the VacuFlush, I've written an article that will help you understand how it works. I'll be glad to send it to you if you'll send me an email (click on my name at the left of this post to see option to send email or PM...choose email).

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 13:23   #3

Peggie! Thank you for the information. But I'm still a bit confused. According to the Owners Manual, the boat as you say has the 9 gal. Treatment tank and a 30 gallon Holding tank. It would seem that the two tanks would somehow interface. The TDX panel has 3 lghts: do not flush, 3/4, and Full. There is also a toggle switch with 3 settings: Toggle. Up is Treat and Discharge, Toggle in neutral position is Norm, Toggle Down is Treat and Hold. Based on the information you supplied, about the system no longer being used, I would hope to avoid using the Treatment tank and to have Black Water routed directly to the holding tank. Would this happen by just keeping the Toggle in the Norm Position? Thanks, Bill
Old 12-12-2018, 14:38   #4
Marine Service Provider

The owners manual is "boiler plate" that may or may not be correct for every hull that was built. So first you need to investigate and find out whether that 30 gallon tank is really there. If it is, I would just remove the TDX and flush directly into the tank. However, I have a strong suspicion that the toilet is plumbed to go into the TDX, and its contents then sent to the tank from it when it's full.

As for the lights and the toggles... The lights are the tank level indicators for the TDX. (3/4 is the first one, full will light with next flush, and DO NOT FLUSH is next. The toggles control the TDX. When the TDX gets full, you flip the toggle to "Treat and Discharge" to send it to the larger tank..or, if there's a y-valve in that line, overboard. It just sits there filling up in the "Norm" mode. "Treat and Hold" injects chemical into it and macerates it but doesn't discharge it. And btw...the treatment cycle is 20 minutes!

So I'd "cut out the middle man" by removing the TDX (you can leave the lights and toggles, they just won't have any function any more) and reroute the hose from the vacuum pump to the TDX to go directly to the holding tank.

--Peggie
Old 13-12-2018, 06:07   #5

Thanks Peggie, you really helped!
Old 13-12-2018, 11:05   #6
Marine Service Provider

I'm always glad to help when I can. And btw...welcome to cruisersforum.com! A great bunch of people here ready to help with any problem. You might consider checking out our sister site trawlerforum.com A pretty good bunch of cruising powerboat owners there too.

--Peggie

Tags
sea ray