Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2016, 04:57   #1

Taylors 065 cylindrical paraffin heater

Dear All,

With the original Taylors 065 heater on board, albeit leaking and hence condemned, and with winter approaching, most grateful if anyone could advise on the feasibility of refurbishing this unit, sourcing of spares and associated manual in the UK.

Furthermore, considering that the burning of paraffin produces water with the prospect of increasing humidity and hence condensation, please can any user of these Taylors paraffin heaters confirm that the majority of the resulting water vapour is indeed ejected via the flue?

Thanks in anticipation,

Yachtboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 06:04   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Taylors 065 cylindrical paraffin heater

Contact john@taylorsheatersandcookers.co.uk

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 16:22   #3

I used one of the early Taylors Parraffin heaters for a winter and loved it. Dried the boat out (a rather small boat) and worked under sail. I did change from the original Roarer Burner, to a normal adjustable burner, but that was when kerosene/parraffin burners were cheap. Give it a try. I think you will like it. _____Grant. P.S. I got rid of the priming cup and used Tilley wicks.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 01:14   #4

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch

Reviving an old thread. I just came into a boat that has this heater installed. Any operating tips, and/or caveats? Thanks-Jeff
Jdeuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 16:33   #5

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I had one on my first boat. It was the newer square design but basically the same thing.

I wouldn't leave it unattended, or on overnight, but brilliant to heat up and dry a boat out in the evenings. Mine had a pump up presure tank. It was best to keep it 1/4 full with lots of air so the pressure stayed constant, and if left it would run out of fuel rather than get low on pressure, in which case it sometimes burst into smokey flames.

A drip tray underneath is a good investment. As is a filter and separate isolation valve on the tank.

I am not sure what the grill inside is coated with. An old one may possibly have asbestos inside.
Old 19-05-2018, 16:59   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Grill inside mine is just stainless

Base camp is now carrying new Hanse burners that work swell. The potential problem may be the connection between the burner and the copper tubing. I’ve sent them pictures and they have responded quickly. They ship overseas quickly and cheaply.

https://www.base-camp.co.uk

A alternative is Spares Marine that has a big catalog of almost any part you could want.

Great stoves. A bit of a learning curve but you can fix anything on them, they work well, and last forever. Yes water goes out the chimney, which is just 1” ss tubing.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 09:00   #7

As I said in my earlier post, I changed from the original (non adjustable) burner to a regular (adjustable) burner and that was a big improvement. I also removed the priming cup and used a Tilly wick to prime. That reduced the chance of over or under priming and and there was no spilling if lighting up when at sea. The boat I am refitting now has a Force 10 propane heater that I have not tried yet, but I am sure I will like it. I would not go to sleep with the Taylor or the Force 10 running. I think the link to Taylors will show Tilly wicks. They have gone up 10 fold in price but I think they are worth it. When they cost less than a dollar, I bought a dozen of them and used to give them out to friends that had kerosene heaters or cooking stoves. Most people loved them as much as I did. Good luck with a nice source of dry heat.. Grant. P.S. mount a pressure gauge where you can easily see it. That will help.
Old 20-05-2018, 09:07   #8

Just had another thought (memory burp) about the interior parts. Mine came with ceramic cylinders that the burner heated and they radiated the heat. I broke one and the replacement was an expanded mesh steel (maybe stainless) cylinder. The early ceramic worked a little better but they were fragile. If you have the ceramic ones , treat them gently if you have to remove them for any reason. ___Just another 2 cents worth. ____Grant.
Old 20-05-2018, 13:28   #9

Thanks so much to all. The boat is a 1979 Freedom, and it has this heater with a water tank above, and also an uninstalled Sea Cook Jr stove. There’s also a propane system onboard, but apparently only for the stove/oven, which doesn’t look original.
Looking forward to getting into all this stuff.
By the way-rather than the copper tubing with it’s fittings, bends, and kinks, does anyone ever use braided S/S hose? Back in my hot rod days we had sections made up for everything from brake to fuel lines.
Old 21-05-2018, 02:32   #10

Mine had a little water heater tank in the flue. Probably about 10 litres or so with a small vent tube into the 1 inch flue for the steam, and a tap for draining it. It worked really well. Took about 3/4 of an hour to heat it, but after that I had heaps of water for dishes and even a shower.

It had an adjustable burner so I could reduce the heat output. The biggest issue was overheating my 26 foot boat. Click image for larger version

Name:	images%20(2).jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	170239
Old 21-05-2018, 07:40   #11

Snowpetrol, was the tank in the flue a Taylors product or home made? I would like to do something like that with my Force 10 propane heater. How long was your flue? Mine is only about 18 inches, but I could lower the unit another 6 or 8 inches if needed. I loved that old heater. ___Grant.
Old 21-05-2018, 14:45   #12

Hi Grant, I am not sure if it was a taylors product. But it looked professionally made. The flue ran straight though the middle of it, with a small filler and vent at the top and a tap at the bottom. It was about 350 high and 200mm round. Only issue was difficulty filling it as their wasn't much room at the top. A filling pipe and pump would have been a good addition.
Old 21-05-2018, 15:10   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Interesting concept. I found a Ss mug that holds a nice bit of water that just fits on the top perfectly. Makes a good couple of cups of tea.

I’ve never seen or heard of a heater as you describe, might be an interesting project. I would make it removable, so the unit slides in over the flue pipe.

You’ve got me thinking. It really requires a TIG set up to make nice welds. Now I’ve an excuse!

Actually mine is a Force 10 I believe.

Check out this installation I did on our big boat. One of the things I am most proud of is that welding job, not so much the welds but that I welded the pipe in the basement and it slipped right on, and through the deck hole, as if i knew what I was doing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24F96567-5BF4-4F61-8137-74E1E521D887.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	170284   Click image for larger version

Name:	93BFF52B-CF63-493E-9BC2-FB224C5C291D.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	170285  

hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 20:06   #14

Here’s the way mine is set up. Pardon the condition of the boat-I took possession today, and there’s a LOT of crap to clean out...
Old 22-05-2018, 08:16   #15

I am thinking that I dont have enough room above the heater to put another cylinder (water tank) and still have the flat top of the heater available to put a small kettle. Everything is a compromise on a boat. Good information in this thread. ____Grant.

Tags
cal