Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-05-2013, 07:37   #16
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Tank Monitoring System

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisferriello View Post
Rwidman:Never heard of that in a capacitance system before. I supply Calalina, Hanover, Marquiss and many others and I have never had a complaint with our system which is a capacitance system. We manufacture everything we sell. when you say the system reads the crap on the tank wall and thinks it is full. Sorry missed one part of the letter, system of sensors? Probably not capacitance If you would like help to figure out what is going on I would be happy to talk to you. I will send you a message with my contact info..
Thanks for the offer of help. I'll get in touch once I find out what monitor I have.

I don't remember the brand of sensor I installed and the information is on the boat. It monitors two tanks. I actually have three but the two water tanks are connected together so provided the valves are open, measuring one is the same as measuring two.

I believe it is a capacitance system. Pads are stuck to the outside of the tank at intervals and they measure the level. Three pads if I remember correctly. The one on the potable water tank works fine, but the one on the holding tank acts as I explained above. When I installed it, it read full. I cut a hole in the top of the tank, installed an inspection plate, cleaned the tank with a hose and scrapers, and the level indicator worked fine. After a few weeks it began reading full all the time. I cleaned the tank walls again and it worked for a while, then the same problem.

It's not that big of an issue for me, but I like it when things I buy and install actually work as claimed.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:21   #17
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Thanks for the offer of help. I'll get in touch once I find out what monitor I have.

I don't remember the brand of sensor I installed and the information is on the boat. It monitors two tanks. I actually have three but the two water tanks are connected together so provided the valves are open, measuring one is the same as measuring two.

I believe it is a capacitance system. Pads are stuck to the outside of the tank at intervals and they measure the level. Three pads if I remember correctly. The one on the potable water tank works fine, but the one on the holding tank acts as I explained above. When I installed it, it read full. I cut a hole in the top of the tank, installed an inspection plate, cleaned the tank with a hose and scrapers, and the level indicator worked fine. After a few weeks it began reading full all the time. I cleaned the tank walls again and it worked for a while, then the same problem.

It's not that big of an issue for me, but I like it when things I buy and install actually work as claimed.
When you see what it is let me know. It may be reading through the tank but when you have more then one sensor it is working like the old Well Nut systems. The waste could cause a problem. Our unit the New Providence Marine system one foil is a transmitter and one a receiver so no chance of the sensor reading what is between them.
thanks so much but would like to know when you have time so I can check them out and see exactly how they work and what is causing your problem.

Old 13-05-2013, 07:41   #18
cruiser

Quote:
When you see what it is let me know. It may be reading through the tank but when you have more then one sensor it is working like the old Well Nut systems. The waste could cause a problem. Our unit the New Providence Marine system one foil is a transmitter and one a receiver so no chance of the sensor reading what is between them.
thanks so much but would like to know when you have time so I can check them out and see exactly how they work and what is causing your problem.
Dennis, this is what I have installed:

LevelGuard® SensaTank II Monitoring System with Field-Effect sensing technology by TouchSensor™

I messed with this a while after I installed it, but now I just live with it. Some folks suggested moving the sensors to the forward (bow) side of the tank thinking there would be less poop buildup because of the boat's motion. Sad to say, for months at a time the only motion is from wakes and tidal currents so I don't think that would make a difference.
Old 13-05-2013, 08:30   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Dennis, this is what I have installed:

LevelGuard® SensaTank II Monitoring System with Field-Effect sensing technology by TouchSensor™

I messed with this a while after I installed it, but now I just live with it. Some folks suggested moving the sensors to the forward (bow) side of the tank thinking there would be less poop buildup because of the boat's motion. Sad to say, for months at a time the only motion is from wakes and tidal currents so I don't think that would make a difference.
Not very familiar with this unit. I see it has 3 sensors. You shouldn't have to move the sensors, true capacitance does not make a difference.
I will look into this system and let you know what I find.
Dennis
Old 13-05-2013, 08:54   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Not very familiar with this unit. I see it has 3 sensors. You shouldn't have to move the sensors, true capacitance does not make a difference.
I will look into this system and let you know what I find.
Dennis
Thanks.
Old 13-05-2013, 09:07   #21

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

How does one install the external sensors on a boat as a retrofit? I can see the top edge of the tanks where the sensors themselves are located but how to you get the tape parts all the way down the side of the tank if you can't reach there??

I took a lightning strike a few yrs ago the tanks monitors have not worked since. I had the panel electronics checked and they report that it is OK. They said most likely it is the sensors since they tend to go first in this situation.

Scott
Old 13-05-2013, 09:20   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vPainkiller View Post
How does one install the external sensors on a boat as a retrofit? I can see the top edge of the tanks where the sensors themselves are located but how to you get the tape parts all the way down the side of the tank if you can't reach there?? .............................
On a stick?

You have to look at each situation and find the best way.
Old 13-05-2013, 13:27   #23
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vPainkiller View Post
How does one install the external sensors on a boat as a retrofit? I can see the top edge of the tanks where the sensors themselves are located but how to you get the tape parts all the way down the side of the tank if you can't reach there??

I took a lightning strike a few yrs ago the tanks monitors have not worked since. I had the panel electronics checked and they report that it is OK. They said most likely it is the sensors since they tend to go first in this situation.

Scott
Scott:
Most people I have spoke to who have bought my units use a spatula the kind with the teflon part and peal the paper back on the foil and attach the foil to the top and push the foil down. the copper pad does not have to be in the middle of the tank you can put the copper pad near the top and put the sensor box on top of the tank. If you decide to do this call me and I will explain.
Actually the tank sensor is more robust then the panel. but I have seen ours blow. Our sensor has an LED on the unit on the tank so you can see if power is going to the sensor then measure the blue wire going back to our panel when the unit is checking you should have between 010 volt to around 1 volt.
This is on our single tank unit. On our 8 tank the diagnostics will give you all you need to know on the status on the panel
Anything else you need please let me know.
Dennis Ferriello
Ferriello Sales LLC
Old 13-05-2013, 13:40   #24

Boat: Rafiki 37

I have a SS water tank and an iron diesel tank. Any good external-sensor system out there? I really hate putting more holes in a perfectly good tanks .
Old 13-05-2013, 14:20   #25

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

Quote:
Scott:
Most people I have spoke to who have bought my units use a spatula the kind with the teflon part and peal the paper back on the foil and attach the foil to the top and push the foil down. the copper pad does not have to be in the middle of the tank you can put the copper pad near the top and put the sensor box on top of the tank. If you decide to do this call me and I will explain.
Thanks, Dennis. I'll check the voltage next time I'm on the boat. This might be a stupid question, but can I just re-use the foil tape that is already attached to the tank? Is it as simple as attaching new copper pads with a new sensor - assuming that is what is required?

Scott
Old 13-05-2013, 15:40   #26
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I have a SS water tank and an iron diesel tank. Any good external-sensor system out there? I really hate putting more holes in a perfectly good tanks .

Mike:
Sorry you can't use an external sensor on metal tanks. Signal won't go through.
Dennis
Old 13-05-2013, 20:32   #27
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
For water and diesel you can use pressure and translate that to volume again. I have a tanktender which uses no electric components at all and does this. A second method is pressure sensors coupled to NMEA2000 network. Then there are ultrasonic sensors.
Old 14-05-2013, 06:13   #28

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
For water and diesel you can use pressure and translate that to volume again. I have a tanktender which uses no electric components at all and does this. A second method is pressure sensors coupled to NMEA2000 network. Then there are ultrasonic sensors.
Thanks Jedi, I've looked (briefly) at the tanktender system. You're suggestion now has me doing it again.
Old 14-05-2013, 08:13   #29
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Thanks Jedi, I've looked (briefly) at the tanktender system. You're suggestion now has me doing it again.
I have been using it for 10 years now, no problems at all. I have the one with 4 valves for 4 tanks. The dial is calibrated both for fresh water and for diesel fuel. It shows how many inches of the liquid is in the tank.

At some point you think in inches. My unit was old 2nd hand when I got it and with full time use it now starts to wear a bit. Instead of putting new seals in I'm considering the Maretron route because I now have a NMEA2000 network. I would stay with Tanktender otherwise.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: