Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2016, 16:21   #1

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35
Swing Motor Refrigeration Ice Bos Conversion Kits units

Any opinions /experience with the under $1,000 "Ice Box Conversion " systems being sold under the Engle and Norcold brand names.

NORCOLD SCQT-4408 Icebox Conversion Kits | West Marine
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 21:33   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Re: Swing Motor Refrigeration Ice Bos Conversion Kits units

I've had this page open for two days waiting for replies. Oh well, I'll say something.
First, try google "Cruisersforum Norcold SCQT-4407" I know, that's the old model, but they are still pretty much the same.
Then try google but without the cruisersforum word.
You should find something. I recall some complaints about the unit failing too soon, maybe something to do with refridgerant leaking and the unit not having service valves (although you could have a tech install). Also the 6 CF capacity claim for the L-plate might be a bit overstated. Some people have been very happy with cold fridges. But apparently the NorcoldT/Thetford in USA is not particularly well known for their customer care (if something goes wrong with the unit they rather prefer you to buy a new one instead of trying repairs).
Marine fridge guru Richard Kollmann does not recommend these units over the Danfoss/Secop bd35/50. If I recall correct mainly due to lack of parts availability (such as ECU).
I have the older SCQT-4407 still pending installation. And I have a 30 year old Engel still working very well.
Cheers

PS. Someone said the Engel kit is much better than the Norcold one, but I can't see why as I believe they come from exactly the same production lines. I might be wrong but I doubt it. But Engel for sure has better customer care.

PSS. If I was to buy this unit from WM I'd definitely get the extra 2 years warranty for a 4 year total.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 22:31   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

This looks like the engel swing motor. Basically a reciprocating piston using a solenoid and spring, which is not really a very energy efficient design, at least to my eyes. It uses less power only because it has a smaller overall displacement/capacity compared to the typical 12V systems. I expect the 6 cf claim is more marketing hype then reality. Perhaps with 4" or 6" insulation it might work. If it did not get too hot.

Thing to remember is the work/energy required to cool (really to remove the heat which is not the same thing) a 6cf box is the same. Well baring a wis-bang heat exchanger, and nothing on the norcool or engel swing compressor looks wis-bang. There isn't a magic bullet that makes the swing compressor better.

It just has a smaller capacity so uses less power because of that. I would expect a BD35 to equal the swing compressor on power draw under similar size box and temperature conditions.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 03:49   #4

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

My engle fridge is horribly noisy and has a very bad vibration. I took it in to get it checked out under warranty but they said it was within specs. Not really impressed at all. Its far too loud to run at night.
Old 15-09-2016, 05:25   #5

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

Thanks all for confirming my doubts.

Our existing box holds 100# of ice and has no moving parts. Good for now.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any numbers on swing motor vs conventional compressor efficiency?
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 06:55   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
My engle fridge is horribly noisy and has a very bad vibration. I took it in to get it checked out under warranty but they said it was within specs. Not really impressed at all. Its far too loud to run at night.

You and one or two others that have the same complaint about the thing being noisy is why I won't buy an Engle, but the overwhelming majority seem to worship these things?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 06:57   #7

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Hi there .

Richard Kollmann has some numbers on these compressors, looks like they put out half the BTU capacity of a BD35.

Kollmann Marine

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 07:11   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

A customer had me install one on his boat . I would not recommend it for install in any box that is Much over 4 cf it just doesn't work that well IME .
Old 15-09-2016, 07:36   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

At an amp draw of 2.5 amps at 12V, it's either extremely efficient, or very small. Apparently it's very small, which of course means not much heat removal.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 09:46   #10

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

I know people very happy with the full drop in box but that is pretty small also the portable fridge have a good rep I have 2 friends who have simply put two of the portable fridges on slides under their counters instead of insulating the icebox. It looks like engel is not recommending the ice box conversion for fridges over 3.3 cuft. and requiring 2" of insulation.
Old 15-09-2016, 10:51   #11

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You and one or two others that have the same complaint about the thing being noisy is why I won't buy an Engle, but the overwhelming majority seem to worship these things?
My portable Engle will occasionally vibrate against the bulkhead that it is strapped to. This 'buzz' sound is cured by moving the unit slightly or placing something soft between.

Interestingly, this has ONLY occurred when the unit is in "freezer" mode (control dial cranked to eleven) with the compressor running 100% of the time. When in "fridge" mode, the compressor is running roughly 1/3 of the time and this buzz as never occurred.

I feel that the unit sounds more "labored" after running (in freezer mode) continuously for a couple hours.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 04:54   #12

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Thats interesting steve, Mine was being used in deep freeze mode, might try it on fridge mode and see if it is a bit quiter. Hopefully because the whole house used to rattle! It was much less noisy when I first bought it, but even so it needed to sit on a foam mat to isolate the vibration.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
motor, refrigeration