Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2019, 14:33   #16

Boat: O'day 34, O'day 39
Re: Suggestions for emptying blackwater tank with no pumpout available

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Ronco Plastics Ronco Plastics marine Tanks (no relation to the VegoMatic Ronco) is your best source for a tank. ...

And I''l be glad to help your spec out the new system.

--Peggie
Thanks Peggy. I've got your book, and we spoke a few times 10 years ago when I went through a similar project on our current boat, using a Ronco tank. The current tank is 30x20x12 high, Ronco's HB564 tank is 28.75x19.75x11 and will fit behind the bulkhead that was cut out, and not being as tall should give me room to use UniSeals to run dip tubes from the top for the business hoses as well as the vents. There is already a through hull that was abandoned by whoever installed this tank, so I plan to use a Jabsco Y-valve (which is the only one I see where both discharge ports face the same direction) and install a Whale Mk-V manual pump. For venting I will use two 1" through hulls under the toe rail, one on either side of the boat with as straight a run as I can get coming off a front and rear corner of the top of the tank. Since we keep our boats on a mooring and they always face any breeze this seems to be the most effective means of keeping air moving through the tank. The only time I ever had an issue was on an overnight passage where we were heeled over and beating into chop for several hours and I believe the tank filled through the vent.

Unfortunately on our boats there is no way to avoid an uphill run from the head to the tank, but I plan to use either Raritan or Poly-X hose to prolong any future smell related replacement as long as possible!

--
Scott

Scott Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 14:38   #17

Boat: O'day 34, O'day 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
...If you can plug the hoses, leave in place for the delivery or remove entirely and go with a desiccating toilet. Might think about going that route ...
I'd like the folks on my delivery crew to still be my friends after the delivery, and the way that thing smelled last time I went to the boat, I don't think I could ask anyone to spend 6 straight days on the boat

No, that entire system has to go - hopefully this coming weekend!

Scott

Scott Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 16:57   #18

We had a similar problem that we used a old shop vacuum with great success portable that can be disposed of easily
Emptynest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:39   #19

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fuller View Post
...and not being as tall should give me room to use UniSeals to run dip tubes from the top for the business hoses as well as the vents.

Scott, Peggie has been helping us do an upgrade to our system -- replace tank and hoses -- and we're "in progress" as I speak.

FWIW, Ronco can place spin-welded fittings on the new tank wherever you need them... and they can supply dip tubes to fit those fittings.

One thing to know (we didn't, at first) is that Ronco's normal female-threaded fittings extend above the tanks about an inch. The dip tubes they would normally provide are made from Series 80 PVC pipe attached to a male PVC fitting... and if you need an elbow, they provide two more PVC pieces, one being the elbow and one being the PVC-to-hose adapter. Works great except... the resulting four-piece PVC dip tube/elbow, starting in threads about an inch higher than the tank... means overhead clearance can be an issue... 'cause the whole thing extends about 5" over the top of the tank.

OTOH, if asked, Ronco can fit "flush-mounted" female fittings (i.e., the threads are inside the top of the tank, and they can also provide a two-piece dip tube -- Sch 80 PVC tube attached to a much more compact PVC elbow (i.e., only one single part for that). Overhead clearance said to be about 2½" if in the flush mounted spin-welded fittings, and it's looking like about 3¼" clearance in the normal above-tank spin-welded fittings.

My contact has been Rich Gray on ext. 333.

FWIW, I'll also add that SaniFlex sanitation hose really is relatively easily flexible. I only have one hose run attached so far, out of 4, but I can tell already using stiffer hose would have been much more of a major pain in the a$$.

Also, our hose from toilet to tank is a downhill-then-uphill run... inviting issues with standing effluent. I think a PVC solution would be useful... but ours would be a complicated installation with elbows through a bulkhead... and I don't have time to learn how to do all that just now. Saniflex for now is OK, but I reckon a future project might be to replace that one run with mostly PVC instead. Doing PVC in the first place would have saved me from having to revisit later, though.

-Chris
Old 10-04-2019, 17:37   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hans Christian 43
Suggestions for emptying blackwater tank with no pumpout available

I built a system with an eBay sourced macerator pump, a short length of 1-1/2” hose with a male thread to fit into pump out outlet, a decent battery and some battery clamps. Used a long hose down to the ground and filled 5gallon pails .... poured that into the top of our home septic. Couple of small splash incidents but it emptied 40 gallons of old poop water!!
Rowglide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 07:05   #21

Go for the $125 before they change their minds. Compare that to the cost of procuring a pump (rent, purchase or steal), procuring a container which will need to be pumped out and washed even before you can dispose of it. Hoses. Actually pumping the tank, removing the intermediate tank to a location to pump it out. Then cleaning yourself and your work environment, etc., etc.

Pay the 125, add a little fresh water and an enzyme to start working on the sludge and the resulting smell (which may be worse after it is pumped) and then go treat yourself to a beer for taking the easy way out.

Working with your own waste is bad enough but working with someone else's: ouch!
rbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 07:30   #22
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian28 View Post
Check with s septic tank pump out company

Actually, portable toilet pump companies can also do this, often much more cheaply.
Old 15-04-2019, 07:33   #23

Boat: 1973 Spencer 53

Had a similar situation. Had to pull everything out. Replaced with a C-Head which we like. Getting the old valves and hoses out was a nasty, nasty job but worth it. Decided to lose the crusty holding tank as well that took up the entire v-berth bunk space which we now use for storage.
OkiMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 08:25   #24

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Call a septic tank service company. They will pump it out.
Old 15-04-2019, 10:46   #25

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Hoses look terrible. I really like our high flex Raratan hoses.

You can use a Whale Gusher hand bilge pump and an appropriate fitting to the deck pump out port. On our boat that turns out to be 1-1/2 inch NPT. I can empty our 20 gallon tank in a few minutes under way.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 13:34   #26

As above - plug the hoses and remove the tank. You have said you are not keeping the tank. If you change your mind, it will be easier to clean off the yacht.
sycheckmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 14:31   #27

When my holding tank pump failed I connected my dinghy air pump to the breather pipe on the holding tank and the outlet pipe to an extension over the side into a plastic drum for disposal. Be careful not to over pressurize the holding tank. You will be surprised how little pressure is needed to push the stuff out, mine just needed 3 pumps of the foot pump to get the stuff moving. If you are left with some solids in the bottom try to loosen them with a couple of flushes of the toilet then blow it out. Since you are removing the tank ,put a bung in the outlet, inlet and breather pipes before removing to eliminate any spills.
Craig Staunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 18:49   #28
Marine Service Provider

Since you are removing the tank ,put a bung in the outlet, inlet and breather pipes before removing to eliminate any spills

If the discharge fitting is at the bottom of the tank, put a disposable aluminum pan or a plastic garbage bag (tall or medium kitchen can liner will do if the tank only has a gallon or less left in it) under the fitting to catch any spill--and there will be at least a little, either from the tank or the hose) before removing the hose.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 09:18   #29

Boat: Downeaster 38, Pearson 30

I had a similar problem on my Pearson 30. I took off the far ends of the hoses and plugged them. Removed the tank with blackwater inside it. I guess that I was lucky no spills. The boatyard had a forklift that we lowered the full tank to ground level with.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 06:43   #30
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Sorry, had to say it, go to a composting unit, problems solved.
We did that, in exactly the OP's situation, but if I think he's asking how to get the actual crap out. We waited until midwinter, when everything was frozen and cut it all out, tank intact. It was fairly horrible...wearing organic vapor masks and rubber gloves...but it's done now and it's a cheerful tale to tell in boating circles.

Basically, the stuff is unpleasant, but unless you breathe or swallow it, you're unlikely to come to harm. Don't cut yourself, either.

In the situation given, I'd cut a hole in the top of the tank as mentioned, pump or bale out the contents into some plastic buckets with tight-fitting lids and take them down to the nearest open RV dump station. Perhaps add a slug of bleach to the bucket to slow down any risk of explosion...

You may have to repaint the interior of the surrounding gelcoat or painted surfaces to eliminate the smell...

SuW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water