Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2011, 12:50   #1

Stupid Question from a Newbie

I just rented a houseboat, knowing nothing about boats. There's a decent bathroom at the boathouse, which is close, but in the night I will probably want to use the head. (See I know that's what it's called now, go me.)

The guy I'm renting it from has been nice enough but can't answer every single question as I think of it, so, what I want to know is, how do I know when I need to get the holding tank pumped out? Is there an indicator that comes before a disgusting mess? I sure hope so.

Thanks a lot,

Erin
bublsort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 13:31   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Stupid Question from a Newbie

when it gets hard to pump whch happens just before poo etc starts to comes out the vent

is there a level gauge (that works)?

normally best to just have it pumped out every few days if you are staying on the boat
Old 17-10-2011, 13:37   #3

I'll look for a level gauge. What is involved in having it pumped out? My boat can't leave the slip, but I hear there is some kind of mobile pumpout thing in my area (Annapolis).
Old 17-10-2011, 13:45   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to mdvick

OMG! There is no such thing as a stupid question when it comes to ANYTHING that floats!!! The only stupid one is the one that is NOT asked! Good for you. BTW what Don said. I would also ask the owner some of these as they come up. Good luck.
Old 17-10-2011, 13:48   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by bublsort View Post
I'll look for a level gauge. What is involved in having it pumped out? My boat can't leave the slip, but I hear there is some kind of mobile pumpout thing in my area (Annapolis).
ask around the boat yard or to the other houseboats, varies from place to place

Sometimes the pump out will come and you don't even have to be there
Old 17-10-2011, 18:32   #6
Marine Service Provider

how do I know when I need to get the holding tank pumped out? Is there an indicator that comes before a disgusting mess? I sure hope so.

So do I! (And that's NOT a stupid question!). My advice: first chance you get tomorrow, ask the houseboat rental folks to show you how EVERYTHING on the boat works. 'Cuz you need to know all of it. Make 'em spend as much time showing you where all the gauges, valves etc are, and how they work, as you need..'AND how to get the d'd thing pumped out when you need to!

I can't believe any rental company would rent a boat to someone without making sure they knew how everything works!
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 18:53   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Don't let the charter company slough you off saying if you have any problems then just give us a call. Things also happen in the middle of the night when nobody is available to answer questions.

Require that they spend plenty of time explaining everything to you.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 05:51   #8

thanks a lot everyone. I didn't think there was that much to it, since I'm not actually going to take it out of the slip. But now I guess there is.

I found a number for the city of annapolis pumpout boat, so hopefully they'll come and get it sorted out.

Erin
Old 18-10-2011, 06:07   #9

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Yeah if you told us where you are we could probably help you better. There are usually a few Cruisers Forum members in every marina. Many marinas/boatyards have their own pump out boat or will at least be able to tell you which one to use.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 06:12   #10

Sure, I'm in the Pier 4 Marina in Spa Creek in Annapolis.
I called the boat but they don't work in winter, which means I'm in trouble after next month. Of course they also only come from 10-5, when I'm at work. So HMMMM...
Old 18-10-2011, 06:29   #11
Marine Service Provider

The only thing a pumpout service can sort out is emptying the waste tank. You still need to know how to maintain the tank to prevent odors and make sure the vent doesn't become blocked...how the toilet--which has NOTHING In common with a household toilet--works, and especially what you CAN flush (body waste and quick dissolve toilet paper) and what will clog it (EVERYthing else!)...the fresh water system, and the two types of electric systems--115v AC, and 12v DC.

Hopefully someone reading this is in Annapolis and can teach you enough about how it all works to prevent any disasters.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 07:06   #12

There used to be a mobile service in the Annapolis area called Safe Harbor that came to boats in marinas. Came by way of the dock. Went through several ownerships, the first owners stole $300 from us and lost our deck cap, but I think the company is in better hands now. You might want to see if they -- or a successor -- are still in business.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 07:16   #13
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

There is a guy in Baltimore that has a trailerable pumpout.

I belive he goes to Annapolis also.

I'll find the #
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 07:44   #14

And you're sure there's holding tanks? Call the person you rent from; I'm pretty sure the owner doesn't want crap in the bilge or a ticket for a spill. You might also ask where the bilge pumps/switches, fire extinguishers and propane shut-off are located.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 08:09   #15

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II

Re. determining holding tank level: Probably the best solution I've seen is to have a second tank, somewhat smaller than the holding tank, full of clean raw water. The head draws its flush water from this tank. If the flush water tank runs out, you can add a bit to finish the current flush, and then you know the holding tank can't take any more. When you pump out the holding tank, you refill the flush water tank. Since you're at a service dock anyway, you can refill it with fresh, thus cutting down on head maintenance. Failing that, some sort of level gauge is called for. Or, at the very least, figure out how much water a single flush uses, and keep track of how many times it's been used since the last pumpout.