Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-07-2015, 18:48   #16

Re: Stripped thread in impeller housing. Now What ??!!

Must add my Heli coil vote They Rule and are permanent
JJ

Old 19-07-2015, 21:08   #17

Boat: Niagara 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBWhite View Post
Pretty much all of the solutions suggested so far will work.

I looked up a Sherwood "G02" and could only find a G2, does your pump look like this:

If so, I'd be tempted to replace the bolts with studs. The reason being that the housing is easier to install on to 3 studs than it is to hold in place with one hand and then run the bolts in with the other hand, much easier to put the housing on and then it stays there while you can start the nuts, and it is pretty much reversible if you ever change your mind. Use epoxy or locktite, and on the one that is now stripped see if you can either feed a bolt in from the back or epoxy a nut or two onto the back side.

Lastly, the simplest option is if you have this pump pictured is to install the 2 non-stripped bolts and then use another bolt the same diameter but longer and simply back it up with a nut as it looks like you have the clearance in the back.
Yes, this is the pump I have. I don't like the idea of making the holes a larger diameter. Not much metal around the hole to play with. I still like the idea of drilling right through and putting a nut on the end of a longer bolt.

Yes, and I like the idea of studs. It was very difficult to place the housing in the correct position. I'm hoping I can drill the third hole from the front without having to remove the cover (dome/housing/whatever). If I can't I'll have to take the whole b thing off (not easy). Then I'll install studs in the two good holes and drill through the third. What a PAIN in the neck !

Old 19-07-2015, 23:48   #18

Boat: Hurley Alacrity

Since the hole is already stripped I probably wouldn't bother with drilling if it will be a hassle, just get a longer bolt and nut, run the bolt through and tighten gently as possible, then put a nut on the back side and tighten the nut down.
Old 20-07-2015, 01:56   #19

Boat: Island Packet 40

See if you can drill tap it right through then screw a socket head cap screw in from the back so that it forms a stud on the front side. Even if there is not much thread the socket head bearing against the housing should provide plenty of strength.
Old 20-07-2015, 20:45   #20
2kr

Boat: IP445

Use the hel-coil, my friend. Thats what it is designed for. They are easy to use. Drilling adjacent holes can create a mess...easy to miss the spot. Oversize holes is risky as well. Heli-coils are easy to do and hard to screw up
Old 21-07-2015, 20:45   #21

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Same happened to us. I noted that the bolts were blind tapped into bronze with only about 1 diameter of engagement. Very bad practice for bolts that are routinely removed/replaced. I had enough metal to through drill and tap to about double the depth.

The Helicoil options are great if you can make it fit.

You might also consider taking the housing to someone who can braze on bronze filler and re-tap. Pack the housing with wet rags so you don't melt through or damage the seal.
Old 22-07-2015, 07:32   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We had this same pump and problem on a previous boat. I just drilled right through and used a machine screw and nut. Problem solved.

Not sure why this wasn't done in the original engineering.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 09:44   #23

Boat: Liberty 458

Helicoil if you have little material left. Otherwise I prefer threadserts which are staked in place.

Small helicoils can catch and unwind if the seperation of the install tang doesn't break free. Beware the cheaper variants.

You can't use loctite with helicoils but can with threadserts.

Helicoils are better for permanent repairs. They will often work loose if you need to frequently remove and replace the fastener..

Threadserts are permanent especially when installed with loctite 680.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 22-07-2015, 10:00   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBWhite View Post
Since the hole is already stripped I probably wouldn't bother with drilling if it will be a hassle, just get a longer bolt and nut, run the bolt through and tighten gently as possible, then put a nut on the back side and tighten the nut down.
YES. Or run the bolt thru from the back and it will act as a stud. easy peasy.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 10:06   #25
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=leftbrainstuff;1874281]
They will often work loose if you need to frequently remove and replace the fastener..

That's bunk, where did you hear that?
Old 22-07-2015, 10:35   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I'm not sure the helicoil proponents here have actual experience with this pump. It is not a good design, and the "meat" into which the screws fit is short. Even if you put in a short helicoil, you are still left with just a few threads holding. Through-drilling and either installing a stud or just using a bolt and nut is really the better fix.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 14:28   #27

Boat: Niagara 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I'm not sure the helicoil proponents here have actual experience with this pump. It is not a good design, and the "meat" into which the screws fit is short. Even if you put in a short helicoil, you are still left with just a few threads holding. Through-drilling and either installing a stud or just using a bolt and nut is really the better fix.

Mark
Exactly ! In fact the designer should be ashamed or him/herself. The holes were tapped so close to the cover, that in one case, it would have been impossible to have done anything but throw the thing away. Fortunately, in my case, I was able to insert a bolt from the outside alongside the cover, out to the holding plate, and then put a nut on the end.

Absolutely ridiculous design. The bolts had to be put through from the engine side. In one of the holes, it was so close to the engine, I could not put a longer bolt in from the engine side, even if I had wanted to.

I'd never buy another Sherwood pump if I had the choice.

Thanks for all the responses. Case closed.
Old 24-07-2015, 15:07   #28
2kr

Boat: IP445

I said to use a hell-coil...but you are supposed to have a minimum thread engagement of one diameter of the bolt. The picture looks like you don't have the proper engagement. I am surprised the designer got away with this. No wonder you stripped it out. A thru stud looks like your only chance.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: