Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 11:16   #1

Boat: 46 Ocean Sunliner / Remedy
Thumbs up Strainers on Raw Water Intake

I just installed new strainers on both of my head intakes to try to get rid of the smell of the salt water. I installed the large bronze with a plastic strainer basket, then put 4, 1" chlorine tabs and a peice of a toilet bowl water freshener (the kind that hangs on the edge of the bowl)in the basket. The differance is night and day. I researched this last week on this site, and I would like to thank everyone for the input from past posts. My wife and I bought our boat a couple of months ago and are going to be full time liveaboards in 2 weeks. This will make it much more pleasureable now that the stink is gone. This site is a wealth of knowledge, and is a great help for any newbe liveaboard!!
Remedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Damn .. I'll have to try that too!!! Thanks all!!!
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 16:11   #3

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Have been putting melted ice and fresh water waste, when available, down head
the last few years has made a world of difference. Good luck on your new liveaboard life!
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 22:33   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
Have been putting melted ice and fresh water
Ummm, is it different up ontop of the world? so what does your melted Ice become?? cause we call our melted ice Fresh water down here. :-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:28   #5

4 days later after the addition of the strainers and it smells like a new boat. Now I wont have to convert the toilets to fresh water.I'll monitor the chlorine tabs and let you all know how long they last. I don't think it will be that costly to maintain.
Old 04-03-2008, 21:32   #6

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Alan, I've been telling my friends for years...now this prooves it, contrary to common
belief, you fellows from down under really do get it! Now I won't have to point out the obvious any more! It really is different up here...the water (fresh or salt) spins down the head clockwise!
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 21:54   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
4 days later after the addition of the strainers and it smells like a new boat. Now I wont have to convert the toilets to fresh water.I'll monitor the chlorine tabs and let you all know how long they last. I don't think it will be that costly to maintain.
What make a saltwater head stink are all the little sea creatures that die in there and start to rot.

Pouring fresh water in and pumping it threw clears out the sea life. Adding chlorine kills the bacteria that remains behind.

A dry flush also helps with a fresh water rinse.

The main agenda is to clear the dead creatures from the tank and system as soon as possible.

I found these little buggers in my inlet strainer just one day after a launch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seapillbugs.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	2887  
Old 05-03-2008, 19:12   #8

You NEED the good bacteria in your head tank to break things down AND keep the smell down. Chlorine kills them. Not a good idea. Smells are not usually from the salt water but from permeable hose or tanks. Also...if you are using chlorine you need to be sure there is no aluminum anywhere in the head system or tankage.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:41   #9

I agree that you do need the good bacteria,but, I am at the dock and empty my holding tanks weekly. That being said, where I am located is a short way up a river from the Gulf of Mexico in Florida, and the water becomes somewhat "cloudy" at times and the smell comes from whatever is in the water at the time, also, not to get too graphic, when number 1 is mixed with raw sea water it really smells, since I added the chlorine tabs there is no smell at all. I am going to monitor the results and how long the tabs last, and also keep a watchfull eye on my system. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:42   #10

Boat: Southern Cross 39 - sv Kristali
I used chlorine tablets in the head raw water intake line and found that after a few years use they ate away at the plastic fittings on the head...maybe there is a better alternative? Just a "heads" up.

Steve T
Sailorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 14:31   #11

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36, The Mons
We installed AVS-96 hose to cut down on the smell. The instructions specifically warn against using any kind of chlorine. Apparently it does something to the materials in the hose.
The Mons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 18:45   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I used chlorine tablets in the head raw water intake line and found that after a few years use they ate away at the plastic fittings on the head...maybe there is a better alternative?
The really nasty smells come from anerobic oxidation. That means the vent on your holding tank is the key. You need oxygen to digest all the waste. Killing the bacteria that digest your waste is what is making it stink so bad. You can kill them with chemicals or starve them of oygen. If you can keep the vent open you need to feed the bacteria not kill them.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 19:44   #13

Boat: Lexcen 40 - Leverage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
I just installed new strainers on both of my head intakes to try to get rid of the smell of the salt water. I installed the large bronze with a plastic strainer basket, then put 4, 1" chlorine tabs and a peice of a toilet bowl water freshener (the kind that hangs on the edge of the bowl)in the basket. The differance is night and day. I researched this last week on this site, and I would like to thank everyone for the input from past posts. My wife and I bought our boat a couple of months ago and are going to be full time liveaboards in 2 weeks. This will make it much more pleasureable now that the stink is gone. This site is a wealth of knowledge, and is a great help for any newbe liveaboard!!
Howdy,

Your post was ages ago - did this work in the end? Did your stainer/hoses etc last OK?
akio.kanemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 19:45   #14

Boat: Lexcen 40 - Leverage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
The really nasty smells come from anerobic oxidation. That means the vent on your holding tank is the key. You need oxygen to digest all the waste. Killing the bacteria that digest your waste is what is making it stink so bad. You can kill them with chemicals or starve them of oygen. If you can keep the vent open you need to feed the bacteria not kill them.
While I'm well aware of the need for oxygen in the holding tank itself - how about the critters that die/live in the bowl itself? Can the chlorine tablets help kill/sanitize them?
akio.kanemoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raw water