Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-05-2013, 06:29   #1

Boat: Tashiba 40
StoneCold fresh water cooled refrigeration

I have two Danfoss compressors which have air and water cooling. The fresh water system draws water directly from the fresh water tanks. Heating the water in the tanks has not been a problem but the water from the tanks has been reacting with the metal in the compressor heat exchanger and filling my water tanks with a fluffy brown suspended material. The goop filters out and is nt toxic but it continually clogs the filters. There has got to be some damage to the compresor heat exchangers. StoneCold advertises this set up and there must be hundreds of sytems out there with it. The answer is to install a stainless or monel coil in your fresh water tank and have a closed system filled with a non-reactive cooling fluid.

Old 26-05-2013, 06:42   #2
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
You can pop a Frigoboat system with keelcooler in, mounting the keelcooler to be in the watertank.

Metal boats can weld a mini-tank with the hull forming part of it, fill it with coolant or oil and pop the keelcooler in there.

Old 27-05-2013, 13:00   #3
Marine Service Provider

Re: StoneCold fresh water cooled refrigeration

Jedi, I once was asked to examine and recommend what to do about boat's aluminum hull interior damage inside integral fresh water tank.. Low voltage discharge from electrically driven compressors are common in seawater cooled refrigeration systems. Boat in question was a five year old live aboard and vapor refrigerant to liquid condensing action was not in a keel cooler but from copper tubing placed in fresh water tank. Zinc and Aluminum are both close together on the Anodic scale. Even with copra-nickel water cooled condensers failures occur this is why zincs are used to prevent system failures.

It is bad enough when seawater cooling mediums can destroy a complete refrigeration system but allowing aluminum hull to act as the anode spells disaster.
Old 27-05-2013, 13:58   #4
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
Jedi, I once was asked to examine and recommend what to do about boat's aluminum hull interior damage inside integral fresh water tank.. Low voltage discharge from electrically driven compressors are common in seawater cooled refrigeration systems. Boat in question was a five year old live aboard and vapor refrigerant to liquid condensing action was not in a keel cooler but from copper tubing placed in fresh water tank. Zinc and Aluminum are both close together on the Anodic scale. Even with copra-nickel water cooled condensers failures occur this is why zincs are used to prevent system failures.

It is bad enough when seawater cooling mediums can destroy a complete refrigeration system but allowing aluminum hull to act as the anode spells disaster.
Agree. The bronze keel cooler should be electrically isolated from the hull. Not a problem I think. A 5 liter tank is big enough, all we need to do is transfer a little bit of heat to the aluminium hull and on to the sea water. I would never use a water tank.
Old 27-05-2013, 16:58   #5
Marine Service Provider

Jedi, You are assuming fresh water does not contain minerals in it that can conduct current to anode aluminum hull.
Old 27-05-2013, 17:08   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

re Frigoboat: and what about when the water in the tank runs low?

"the water from the tanks has been reacting with the metal in the compressorheat exchanger and filling my water tanks with a fluffy brown suspended material."

Are you sure its that and not the warm water growing things? hard to logic why a heat exchanger would cause that... if it's copper, it should kill things not grow them....?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 17:14   #7
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Jedi, You are assuming fresh water does not contain minerals in it that can conduct current to anode aluminum hull.
The tanks that I refer to do not have minerals. They are filled with coolant or oil so that heat gets transferred into the hull plating as efficiently as possible. They are only 5 liters or so (a gallon).
Old 27-05-2013, 17:16   #8
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
re Frigoboat: and what about when the water in the tank runs low?

"the water from the tanks has been reacting with the metal in the compressorheat exchanger and filling my water tanks with a fluffy brown suspended material."

Are you sure its that and not the warm water growing things? hard to logic why a heat exchanger would cause that... if it's copper, it should kill things not grow them....?
May be the heat exchanger has failed and it is emulsified compressor oil?
Old 27-05-2013, 17:58   #9
Marine Service Provider

Years ago Cruising World published a design of mine that used the minerals in fresh water tank to provide quantity level indication of water in tank. Unless there is distilled water in tank fresh water will provide a path to conduct low voltage current to corrode aluminum hull skin inside tank. If you want to stop all corrosion you can not. What can be done is send it to a control zinc other than the aluminum hull.
Old 27-05-2013, 18:01   #10
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Years ago Cruising World published a design of mine that used the minerals in fresh water tank to provide quantity level indication of water in tank. Unless there is distilled water in tank fresh water will provide a path to conduct low voltage current to corrode aluminum hull skin inside tank. If you want to stop all corrosion you can not. What can be done is send it to a control zinc other than the aluminum hull.
Like I said, filled with coolant or oil, not fresh water
Old 28-05-2013, 16:31   #11
Marine Service Provider

Jedi, How would you propose preventing damaging low voltage from discharging to an aluminum hull? Nice thinking bad Idea what non conductive material would it be that remained non conductive? Simple solution is avoid water cooling of small refrigeration systems on aluminum boats.
Old 28-05-2013, 17:29   #12
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Jedi, How would you propose preventing damaging low voltage from discharging to an aluminum hull? Nice thinking bad Idea what non conductive material would it be that remained non conductive? Simple solution is avoid water cooling of small refrigeration systems on aluminum boats.
Richard, this has been solved by engineers many decades ago. If you want to isolate electrically while conducting heat, mica is a good candidate. It will never become conductive and a very thin sheet can be used.
Old 31-05-2013, 17:08   #13
Marine Service Provider

We know of many owners of aluminum and steel hulled boats with Frigoboat Keel Coolers installed, with Mylar (or similar material) shims isolating the Keel Coolers from the hull material. It's not really neccessary on steel-hulled vessels, but some owners just want that piece of mind.
BTW. Steve Dashew's Wind Horse, and also his FPB powerboats, have three Frigoboat Keel Coolers mounted in an aluminum skin tank inside the aluminum hull, and electrically isolated from it. To date there have been no issues with this arrangement.
Old 31-05-2013, 17:18   #14
Marine Service Provider

BTW. We hear of our customers installing Keel Coolers in fresh water tanks or using the boat's fresh water for cooling a pumped-water system, but we can never approve or condone such an installation. The materials used by marine refrigeration manufacturers is not approved as food-grade, and these systems are specifically designed to use the sea water outside of the boat, not the boat's fresh water inside a limited and varying capacity reservoir.

Tags
refrigeration, water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: