Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2007, 16:59   #1

Location: presently gallivanting back across the Pacific... Pago Pago at the moment
Boat: Hylas 49 - GALLIVANTER
Stone Cold Refrigeration?

Does anyone have experience with Stone Cold or Stone Air 12 volt refrigeration systems from Trinidad?

If so - are you satisfied?

Thanks,

Kirk
Gallivanters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 18:04   #2

Boat: Gulfstar SM 40
Yes, I have one installed in my Gulfstar Sailmaster 40. I asked them to assess the fridge for insulation prior to having the new modular evaporator installed. They said it was very good, but after installation, it was clear that the air/water unit could not keep up at all. At about 2 weeks later, the coolant disappeared from the system and had to be replaced in St. Lucia, but it was overcharged there, and did not work properly. That was corrected when back in Trinidad, but the next year, the system had lost its refrigerant again. Finally, after having the box completely torn out in Cartegena, and re-insulated, and the system recharged, the unit is working very well, and I have about 2 cu ft of freezer, and 12 cu ft of fridge running on about 50 amp/hr per day. My 480 watts of solar panels alone, can keep it running 24/7, with power left over for all of the other boat electrics, and the VM 200 Watermaker. I am not sure that the water cooling actually reduces the energy use over just running the air cooling (I can have either air, or air plus water cooling with water coming from the water tank). Two water pumps ceased working, before they gave me one that seems to work well, as long as the water tank is more than 3/4 full. I would not bother with the water cooling option, as long as you have adequate air circulation. My unit is under the settee on a corner, with air circulating from the two exposed sides. The basic compressor unit is a Danfoss BF50 - most manufacturers use the same unit (check Isotherm and others). So far the boat has spent all of its time in the Caribbean, with this unit.
Doug
S/Y Imajica
SkipperDoug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigeration