Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 08:08   #1

Boat: Vagabond 47
Sticking Y Valve

This is the second time I've had this problem, we have been offshore for a while and been discharging overboard, now we are heading back to the states and when I went to switch the y valve back to pump into the holding tank the y valve is stuck and I can't move it to the onboard tank. I tried to pour some vinigar down the head and let it sit for a while to see if that would free it up with no luck. Ended up breaking the handel off the y valve so now I have to repair it when I get back. Does anybody else have this problem and what did you do to stop this from happining as this is the second time it has happened.
Thanks
captden
captden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:44   #2

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45
Re: sticking y valve

Disassemble the valve, clean & lube then re-assemble... Should work fine from that moment on.

Oh! Use plumber's grease for the lube
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:50   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Even when offshore (or in port) excercise the valve every few days to keep it from getting stuck.
That happened to me with a through hull seacock. Heat from a hairdryer eventually freed it up enough for me to move it.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:40   #4

Boat: 48 Californian

Is it a Jabsco? I hear Peggy coming down the hall.
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:04   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I hadded this problemo and solved it by removing the friggin thing and chucking it. I 'hard wired' it to the outfall and capped the holding tank.

When I go to the US (god forbid) I will swap it over.

Either that or you will find a Y Valve aint all that expenive ($80). Cleaning one out ain't possable cos the calcium buildup is inside the thingy thing and you can't get nuttin up there. Anyways, that a job for someone else, not me. Pheeeeew!!!!!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:37   #6

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Even when offshore (or in port) excercise the valve every few days to keep it from getting stuck.
That happened to me with a through hull seacock. Heat from a hairdryer eventually freed it up enough for me to move it.
I agree! I have found that it is good to "work" ALL of the boat's valves regularly to keep them operational. If one gets stiff, I work it back & forth at length... 1/16", then 1/8", etc... until I can operate it freely.

M.
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:58   #7

Plastic Y valve no doubt. Maybe someday someone will come up with a good bronze one. A bronze 1.5" 3 way is quite expensive and is more of a T valve unfortunatley... If there is a seacock on the overboard outlet, can you just put a gate or ball valve on the tank, eliminating gthe Y valve entirely?
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:09   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Open it up, soak in vinegar, and reassemble with silicon grease.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 13:15   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

I had one once that was too calcified for the vinegar to touch (well, maybe leaving it in for a week would do it, but I didn't have that long). A 50/50 dilution of muriatic acid did the trick in about 15 minutes, followed by cleaning and plumber's grease when putting it back together.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 14:45   #10

Boat: Vagabond 47

Just one more thing to check up on, and they say cruising is a lot of free time. Since moving aboard I have found out that cruising IS fixing your boat in exotic places. Still beats doing it up north, Hee Hee. Of course I did snap the handle off even being careful this time but. Thanks for all the replys, how often do you open up and regrease or will just exersizeing once a month take care of it
captden
captden is offline   Reply With Quote