Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2016, 08:54   #16

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: STICK-ON HOLDING TANK LEVEL SENSOR

Great, now my smart phone is going to tell me I'm full of you know what...
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:01   #17

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody46CC View Post
rwidman,

My potable water gauge works just fine. The holding tank uses a WEMA system with a floating sensor suspended in a cage going up and down with the effluent level. The effluent likewise causes it to stick, and yes, it can be cleaned, but .... not too much fun and entails removing the sole and then the 7-8 screws holding the sensor (tightly) in the top of the tank. A lot of work, so any stick-on system system that works properly with a gauge or phone app is welcomed.
I suppose I might not have been a clear as I might have been.

Sewage sticking to the inside of the holding tank wall interferes with the sensor reading the level of the sewage so it always reads full unless you clean the inside of the tank.

Like your system, it works on paper but not in reality.

Changing the way the operator is notified won't fix this problem, there needs to be a change in the way the level of the tank contents is measured,
Old 06-02-2016, 09:16   #18

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody46CC View Post
rwidman,

My potable water gauge works just fine. The holding tank uses a WEMA system with a floating sensor suspended in a cage going up and down with the effluent level. The effluent likewise causes it to stick, and yes, it can be cleaned, but .... not too much fun and entails removing the sole and then the 7-8 screws holding the sensor (tightly) in the top of the tank. A lot of work, so any stick-on system system that works properly with a gauge or phone app is welcomed.

We have this type of WEMA system. I installed a new stainless sensor in 2006, since the original plastic sensor had already failed.

That stainless sensor worked fine until late in the 2014 season. I used several "non-invasive" cleaning techniques to limp through most of the 2015 season.

Late in the 2015 season, I replaced the first stainless unit with a new one... so I could open the tank, swap sensors, and close the tank relatively quickly.

Afterwards, though, I confirmed that I could have simply power-cleaned the earlier one with something like muriatic acid... and then re-used it. I did in fact clean that one with muriatic acid after making the quick swap, and it's stored now as a hot spare.

In the grand scheme of things, I suspect I'm getting my money's worth without having to fool with it too often.

Given that I have a working, hardwired system, I wouldn't (currently) be a likely customer for an external device...

OTOH, I can see where something simple, inexpensive, easily applied to the tank, with no wiring required (perhaps optional), and works, could be attractive to some. I suppose coupling with an app -- presumably to be used on a customer's existing smartphone -- might be less expensive and easier than adding a gauge of some sort.

-Chris
Old 06-02-2016, 09:27   #19

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Depending on price I think it is a great idea. If affordable I would buy one. My holding tank is built in place fiberglass. I'm not worried about the battery for this application. And Siri already tells me sometimes that I'm full of s**t but she is usually polite about it.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:32   #20

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

just finished installing exterior foil holding tank sensor. No way was I willing to puncture the existing tank, The whole deal including the panel was about $140 and fairly easy. It works off DC house current and draws so little that I did not put it on a switch. Dennis is very accessible and offers many options, multiple tanks, with alarm, etc. My internet searches did not turn up a close alternate. dennis@ferriellosales.com
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:54   #21

Boat: Catalina 22

Pete; Thanks! You have lots of good ideas. I guess the real advantage of my idea is ease of installation. Just stick it to the top. It sees through plastic top. It is not bothered by "gunk" build up. (I am a retired radar scientist, so all my ideas involve radar).
Holding Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:59   #22

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

If it worked well I'd definitely be interested. I've been in the market for a tank sensor for our holding tank (plastic) and water tank (plastic) for a year now, and the main reason the project keeps getting procrastinated is there's no clear, easy choice.

If this radar based device were under $200 I could stick it on and try it. Battery operated is not a downside for me, it's probably actually a plus - then I don't need to run any wires to the v-berth (water tank) and I can easily replace batteries on my normal maintenance schedule.

Also not having to install a display unit is a plus - saves install time, and spares me the difficult decision of where I want to install it and which part of nice cabin teak I want to cut into. And I always have my phone with me, and I wouldn't need to check tank levels more than once a day - so having to power on the phone (I turn it off to save battery when cruising) isn't a big deal.
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 14:13   #23

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holding Tank View Post
Just stick it to the top. It sees through plastic top.
So... Not an option for my stainless tanks, then?
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 16:32   #24

Boat: Catalina 25 swing keel

They already make an ultra sonic version which I thought about as soon as I read the OP first post

http://usmarineproducts.com/osc/prod...roducts_id=298
Rainh2o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 17:48   #25

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

My holding is poly-something, the typical white non-see-through material. My tank monitor is available at:

Tank Monitors | Technologies LLC

They have versions for nearly everything - all use the same stickey foil that you trim with a sizzors, stick on the side, and hook up the sensor clips. Easy, inexpensive, and accurage.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 18:05   #26

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

My phone is too dumb to talk to your stick on thingy.
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 20:34   #27

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

I echo Tellate and would buy one. Sticking something on top of our Nylon tank sounds like it might bypass the crud build up problem (mainly calcium) that makes our capacitance sensor (stick on) useless. I recently had the tank out and cleaned it with fuming acetic acid. Several goes with several litres still did not get it squeaky clean but sticking on a replacement sensor has it working again.

I have experimented with radar on GAIA for security alarms and found interference to be a major problem I was unable to overcome but I am not sufficiently knowledgeable. Have switched to ultrasonic sensors instead.

Good luck and let us know how to track your progress. Dealing with over full sewage tanks particularly when visitors are on board is a most annoying and ongoing problem for many I would imagine.

Jim
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 20:45   #28

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

PS I do not see the advantage of a warning by phone and would personally prefer 12v as I already have the wiring in place. I would prefer knowing the level but only slightly over just a simple full (six inches) warning. Cheaper and simpler! KISS

Jim sv GAIA
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:20   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Stick-on Holding Tank Level Sensor

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Holding Tank.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:07   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Stick-on Holding Tank Level Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Great, now my smart phone is going to tell me I'm full of you know what...
So now it's both the Mrs and your phone ???

I don't see the logic in the repeated "there's already something like it"... Rare are the instances of having too many choices...

Welcome to CF Mr. Holding Tank...

I think the idea has merit, and would suggest having the few options mentioned
1. Batt and hard wired
2. Phone and stand alone display

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank