Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 18:35   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Get a LAVAC...It will flush a tennis shoe...
I can attest to this. You'll be replacing the lines with calcium deposits long before your human waste can max it out.

And honestly, add some more fiber to your diet if you're producing bricks. It's not good for you (let alone your head).
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 18:57   #17

Location: Along the Manatee River in Southwest Florida. Little town called Ellenton.
Boat: 32 Hatteras and 26 foot former Navy Lifeboat
What a crappy discussion. Okay, the calcium can be handled with vinigar treatments. The head starts out smaller because it is there that the work is done to the waste. Pushing it into a larger hose is easier than trying to push it into a smaller hose. As stated before, paper is the second worse offender. The first, and assured to jam ANY head is the dreded tampon. Also an ashtray full of buts is also non-passable for the grinder blades. Trust me on that one, I have had to pull and clear the heads on my boats because of two daughters, granddaughters and a wife who, early on, was sure I was the one jamming the head up even though I showed her the tampons and cigarette buts. I don't smoke, the wife and all of the daughters do.

Vinigar for the calcium buildup. It really does help.
White Feather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 19:09   #18

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
On my boats, it's always been the pump that clogs, never a random section of hose.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 19:39   #19

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubhouse View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like the plumbing used for heads is really small. I forsee this as a problem because I routinely make large no. 2's that my home plumbing can barely handle. I can't imagine trying to pump a giant log through that tiny little hole in the head and then through 1.5 inch hose all around the boat. Thoughts anyone ? I know I can't be the only one capable of large movements. Thanks

-tavis
Maybe you got to eat more fibre or add a few curries to your diet?
Kordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 19:43   #20

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Feather View Post
The first, and assured to jam ANY head is the dreded tampon. Also an ashtray full of buts is also non-passable for the grinder blades. Trust me on that one, I have had to pull and clear the heads on my boats because of two daughters, granddaughters and a wife who, early on, was sure I was the one jamming the head up even though I showed her the tampons and cigarette buts. I don't smoke, the wife and all of the daughters do.

Vinigar for the calcium buildup. It really does help.

I was recently on a boat which had a sign above the head:

Only put things in here that you ate first.

If you want the ladies to follow this rule then give them an alternative. I believe there are special plastic bags you can buy so they can then use a bin. You can't expect them to cope with it otherwise. I know I would be loathe to carry something like that to the galley bin or even to the deck to throw it to the noahs.
Kordie is offline   Reply With Quote