Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 08:11   #1
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Splitting a seacock - Where?

I have a seacock that is virtually impossible to access for my air conditioner. I'd like to shut it off and cap the valve. Then I'd like to use the seacock that serves my water maker for both. I really wouldn't ever run both of these at the same time.

Would you take a tee and split the line after the seacock and supply two strainers, or would you connect to a single strainer then split the lines? Would I need to install check valves in the lines?

And, most importantly, is there some safety issue with doing this? I can't think of any but it's good to ask.

Thanks for any input.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:33   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Splitting a seacock - Where?

One strainer should be fine feeding both pumps. Since most A/C raw water pumps don't self prime, you need to make sure that it is mounted below the waterline and the hose leading to it is always slopped down to the strainer and seacock.

I wouldn't install check valves, they will foul up and stick in seawater service and be useless.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:36   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

It's not a wonderful way to handle the problem but you can do it.
Here is what Groco has to say about it:

"While we do not recommend the practice of supplying raw or filtered water to multiple "consumers" from a single inlet source (i.e.,: toilets, washdown pumps, air conditioners, generators, etc), we do recognize that it is common practice to do so, particularly when one or more of the consumers is an intermittent consumer."

The real problem comes when both users want water at the same time. If it was me doing this, I'd hook it up like you've described with one strainer and only run one thing at a time. At the next haul out I'd install a bigger seacock so I wouldn't have to worry about it.
The Groco website has a good table to help you pick the size seacock you'll need.
GROCO MARINE PRODUCTS Click on Products, Fittings and then look at the RWM manifold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	groco rwm-install-filtered.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	38428  
Old 07-03-2012, 08:51   #4

The single strainer would be prefered for me as the space to mount them is very crowded. I've already burned up the A/C pump impeller because it ran dry. The reason for the check valves was to prevent one pump from pulling air through the other pump's impeller.

I could install it where after the strainer there is a tee, then two ball valves, then to the "consumers". It really wouldn't be very difficult for me to change which consumer valve is open as my watermaker is manual and I have to shut it down anyway. The check valves would make it a no brainer though.

Thanks for the advise.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:59   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
The reason for the check valves was to prevent one pump from pulling air through the other pump's impeller.
This is why it's a bad idea to run multiple pumps off a single thru-hull.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
The single strainer would be prefered for me as the space to mount them is very crowded. I've already burned up the A/C pump impeller because it ran dry. The reason for the check valves was to prevent one pump from pulling air through the other pump's impeller.

I could install it where after the strainer there is a tee, then two ball valves, then to the "consumers". It really wouldn't be very difficult for me to change which consumer valve is open as my watermaker is manual and I have to shut it down anyway. The check valves would make it a no brainer though.

Thanks for the advise.
I would advise adding a shutoff valve for one or both appliances downstream of the Tee so that you don't lose "prime" in the A/C line or the watermaker line. I had to add a shutoff valve in my A/C line which I teed off the engine/head water supply strainer. The picture shows the clear hose I added for the A/C without the shutoff valve and the other picture of the ball valve I added to the A/C line which prevented losing the prime.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00280.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	38432   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00283.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	38433  

Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:59   #7

Yes, you could just put in a 3 way valve between the strainer and the pumps... assuming the location would be easy/convenient to get to.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:42   #8

Thank you all for the advise. I have one last question about the check valves. What if I installed the check valves on the outlet of the pumps? That way the flow of the water would somewhat wash the gate everytime the pump was running. Or do you all think they should be avoided at all costs?

I do appreciate this as this unaccessable through-hull has bothered me since I bought Palarran. It would be near impossible to close in an emergency.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:05   #9

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

The only thing I see is the thru hull is still going to impossible to get to in an emergency !! no matter how many strainers or tees or ball valves or ck valves you use! it;s still in a bad place !! maybe a Change is needed ?? just a thought !!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:12   #10

Bob, maybe you need to read the thread a little better and actually look at Seaductions photo's more closely. I can't imaging the you can install a valve that is going to be any easier to reach then his.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:31   #11
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

the check valve will not work good enough to prevent pulling air from another line. i teed off my head thru hull but the head has its own check valve system so AC does not loose prime. install bronze shutoff valve(s) but then you have the added task of checking these whenever running the respective pump.