Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2016, 03:49   #1

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Spectra Watermaker Filter Clean

Simple question. Have a new Spectra 150D. Works wonderful on our first cruise now. Cleaned the 10 micron filter the first time and after starting it back up noticed the pressure on the low stroke was very low. For instance, normal is pressure going from 42 to 50 psi on the two strokes. But afterwards the low side might be 30 psi and the higher side 45 psi. Is this just working the compressed air out of the system that I introduced with the partially-filled filter canister? Got back to normal operating pressure range in about 20 minutes.

Question is are you supposed to do anything special to cycle the air out after a filter clean? Or just fill the filter canister with water to reduce amount of air. Didn't find anything in the manual.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 05:21   #2

Re: Spectra Watermaker Filter Clean

What you experienced does sound like air in the feed water. You might check the top of your pre-filter housings for a small red or black button on top of the head. This is an air release. You could also loosen the line coming out of the housings and run the lift pump manually to remove the air. Large systems have a purge set up to do this automatically because air is not good for the pumps and can cause worm holes in the pump as well as pit the valves. BTW, you said 10 micron filter. Do you have a 5 micron afterwards? If not, I'd suggest using a 5 in place of the 10. Not my rules. Check what the membrane manufacturers say..
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 05:43   #3

Oops, yep, you're right. It is a 5 micron filter. And no air release button there.

I did reread the manual and it says after installing new filters to leave them dry until next startup. So I guess I am fretting about nothing, worrying about the small amount of air introduced by a partially-filled filter housing?
Old 22-05-2016, 06:46   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

There is no air bleed on the top of your 5 Micron pre-filter housing. So each time you change your filter out you are going to introduce a bit of air into the system. This is quite normal. Once you start the system it will naturally bleed out. With a Spectra 150D this initial air is harmless to the system. The fastest way to purge the air out of the system is to turn the system on and open the pressure relief valve and let the system run for about 30-45 seconds then close it back off. You could also open the pressure relief valve and just open your fresh water flush valve and your house pressure pump will bleed the air in a few moments. Your pressures are a bit low, but this can be a matter of either salinity or temperature of the inlet water, what is the production according to you flow meter next to the pressure gauge?

www.HaldenMarineService.com
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 17:08   #5

I have to be careful using my house pump. I measured it and it takes 1 minute 45 seconds for the three gallon flush. I think we are good if you are saying air is not an issue. My records show that aside from when air is passing thru from a filter clean-out, pump pressure runs 53-60 psi, and rate around 7.2 gph with the solar panels putting out 13.2.volts. When the solar panels are putting out around 13.7 volts, we get closer to 7.5 gph. Both confirmed with tank levels. Tds is 325-349 ppm, and temp is 28.6-29 deg C.

Like I said, I have no issue with performance. I just wanted to make sure I was not doing something wrong with introducing the air after the filter clean-out. Which BTW has never been really dirty. I am just a maintenance nut!

Wife has been ecstatic about having excess fresh water supply for the two months we have been in Bahamas. Have two gallons of the pink propylene glycol ready to pickle it after we do the gulf crossing back to Texas.
Old 22-05-2016, 18:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
I have to be careful using my house pump. I measured it and it takes 1 minute 45 seconds for the three gallon flush. I think we are good if you are saying air is not an issue. My records show that aside from when air is passing thru from a filter clean-out, pump pressure runs 53-60 psi, and rate around 7.2 gph with the solar panels putting out 13.2.volts. When the solar panels are putting out around 13.7 volts, we get closer to 7.5 gph. Both confirmed with tank levels. Tds is 325-349 ppm, and temp is 28.6-29 deg C.

Like I said, I have no issue with performance. I just wanted to make sure I was not doing something wrong with introducing the air after the filter clean-out. Which BTW has never been really dirty. I am just a maintenance nut!

Wife has been ecstatic about having excess fresh water supply for the two months we have been in Bahamas. Have two gallons of the pink propylene glycol ready to pickle it after we do the gulf crossing back to Texas.
Do yourself a favor and don't out Glycol into your membrane. For those who pickle the membranes, use sodium Bisulfire or sodium metabisulfite. Don't use Glycol
Old 22-05-2016, 19:06   #7

I mis spoke. It's propylene glycol. What spectra dealer (Tellie) recommended. Pure Oceans -50 deg marine antifreeze. Distributed by west marine.
Old 22-05-2016, 19:54   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
Do yourself a favor and don't out Glycol into your membrane. For those who pickle the membranes, use sodium Bisulfire or sodium metabisulfite. Don't use Glycol

You never want to use this in a Spectra system.

Halden Marine Services – Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Old 22-05-2016, 20:02   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post

OK, that's perfect. I was looking at your first numbers of 42-50psi on each stroke. 53-60psi is great. Also your system is voltage sensitive due to it's design to be as efficient as possible. So with the extra voltage increase of half a volt you will see a slight increase in production. All sounds well.

Old 22-05-2016, 20:20   #10

That's a new one. I don't know a single membrane manufacturer that uses glycol in pickling. Look up Dow membranes for yourself. Or Toray or deal or ge for that matter. Never heard of this.
Old 22-05-2016, 20:45   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
That's a new one. I don't know a single membrane manufacturer that uses glycol in pickling. Look up Dow membranes for yourself. Or Toray or deal or ge for that matter. Never heard of this.
"Never Heard of This"
Which is the benefit of Cruisers forum, you can learn new things.

Membrane manufacturers don't care about the pickling reagent damaging the insides of the water maker...water maker manufacturers do.

PG (Propylene Glycol) is a great pickling reagent for the membrane and it is very gentle on the water maker parts.

I recommend it for use in our water makers for long term pickling and have not had a single report of a membrane being pickled properly with PG having a problem.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 20:58   #12

Boat: islandpacket

I'm not arguing, but I did go to the spectra roving technician school. Spent some time in the repair part of the factory and the guy teaching it was showing all the damaged pumps that had been pickled with vodka or other alcohol that the seals had melted. And even the recommended treatment will shorten the membrane life with each use. And that the pink potable antifreeze was recommend to pickle expecially if stored in a freezing environment. But maybe technology has changed.
Old 22-05-2016, 21:16   #13
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
I'm not arguing, but I did go to the spectra roving technician school. Spent some time in the repair part of the factory and the guy teaching it was showing all the damaged pumps that had been pickled with vodka or other alcohol that the seals had melted. And even the recommended treatment will shorten the membrane life with each use. And that the pink potable antifreeze was recommend to pickle expecially if stored in a freezing environment. But maybe technology has changed.
The roving tech class was a great program which may, unfortunately, be cancelled.

But a cheap plug here.
I am holding a watermaker class on the 16th of July at my shop in Fort Lauderdale. We will be going over watermakers and ripping a few pumps and equipment, apart and rebuilding them and going over in depth maintenance, repair, and servicing your system. Also, if anyone has been considering a Spectra system this would be the best day to come and get one. There will be a one day special pricing, (better than boat show pricing) on all Spectras for those in attendance which would make attending the class well worth it. Give me a shout if interested.

(954) 515-7077
Old 22-05-2016, 21:22   #14
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
"Never Heard of This"
Which is the benefit of Cruisers forum, you can learn new things.

Membrane manufacturers don't care about the pickling reagent damaging the insides of the water maker...water maker manufacturers do.

PG (Propylene Glycol) is a great pickling reagent for the membrane and it is very gentle on the water maker parts.

I recommend it for use in our water makers for long term pickling and have not had a single report of a membrane being pickled properly with PG having a problem.

Rich is right. PG is a great product to pickle a watermaker. Membranes are inexpensive compared to the rest of a watermakers components. PG is far better at protecting these parts during long term storage. I've recommissioned many, many, watermakers that sat for several years in PG and they started up great.

Old 23-05-2016, 00:09   #15

I spent about 10 minutes chatting with the spectra bloke at the Sanctuary Cove Boat Show on the Gold Coast yesterday.
Turns out he's the manufacturer/ builder of Spectra Water makers at Ormeau here in Queensland.
I guess there's only one water maker using that name?
Anyway he was the nicest person to talk to and I couldn't believe he'd mind in the least answering your emails or phone calls helping out his customers.
Unfortunately I don't have his details on me but I will post them tomorrow.

Tony
Tbonem17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker