Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2018, 12:31   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Spectra Newport diversion valve not operating

My Spectra Newport 400 has been running great, but a new problem has surfaced. A couple weeks ago I had started a 4 hour run, watched as the salinity dropped to ~100 PPM and then walked away. Three hours later the salinity was <100 PPM and product flow was 16.7 GPH, but no water had been added to the tank. I unplugged and checked the blue product line at both ends - no flow. Then unplugged and checked the black product line coming from the Hi pressure pump and the flow was normal. When I plugged that line back in, everything started working ok. So, the diversion valve had just gotten stuck off. A blip, nothing more.

Today, the "blip" became permanent. The system starts and behaves normally, the "reject" light comes on, then goes off as salinity drops, then the "good" light comes on but no product flow in the blue line. Several restarts and the behavior is now consistent.

So, I'm able to operate the system with the manual override for the diversion valve but wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to repair. The troubleshooting manual says to "check wiring at diversion valve and inside control box" and to "disassemble and clean diversion valve". As an aside, the troubleshooting guide does not tell you the obvious remedy: Use the manual override. Sigh.

Any more specific suggestions or how to? Like what should the wiring look like?, what are the typical failures? how do you remove and disassemble the diversion valve without breaking anything else?

Thanks!

- Art

Anjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 02:25   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Spectra Newport diversion valve not operating

Actually how to operate the diversion valve is in your manual under "Manual Operation" This valve is an extremely reliable Burkert valve. On your control board use your volt meter to read terminals GND and DVLV when starting the system in "Auto Run". Watch for the green "Good" light to come on and read your meter. You should get ships voltage for a moment and then it will drop down to a hold voltage. Also listen for an audible click at the valve as well. If you have voltage and an audible click the diversion valve is working. If you have voltage but no click then either the coil is bad (very rare) or the valve is gummed up. Try pushing up and down the grey bypass button to clear any debris that might have gotten clogged up. If this fails you will need to remove the valve. Two screw hold it on, be careful not to lose the three small O-rings. Cut the leads and try a different 12V supply and see if it clicks or not. If not then a new valve is in order.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 06:10   #3

You are THE MAN Tellie! Exactly the help I was hoping for! Will try it and let you know how it works out. Thanks!

PS - Yes, the manual bypass is described under Manual Operation, but when something fails, the novice goes to the troubleshooting section. Kinda makes sense to at least reference the manual mode there.
Old 22-04-2018, 08:55   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

We used to occasionally get the same problem with our PowerSurvivor 80 on our previous boat. Gummed up, simple fix.
Old 27-04-2018, 04:51   #5

I've run the test you described and I get both voltage and a "click" but it doesn't hold. The behavior is the same each time. Everything appears normal during startup, the salinity is dropping, when it gets below 300 or so the "good" light comes on, I hear a "click" from the valve, and product starts to flow out to where I've disconnected the blue line. But after a few seconds I hear what sounds like a rattle but is probably multiple "clicks" from the valve, and the product flow stops.

I've tried manipulating the plunger but I don't think it's debris and it's difficult to get a voltmeter in there to see exactly what's happening.

Not a crisis since I can still switch the valve manually, but any thoughts on the symptoms I'm seeing would be very helpful.

Thanks!

- Art
Old 27-04-2018, 05:08   #6

Boat: Catalina 22 Capri, 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

There are videos on youtube showing how to repair.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 12:15   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjin View Post
I've run the test you described and I get both voltage and a "click" but it doesn't hold. The behavior is the same each time. Everything appears normal during startup, the salinity is dropping, when it gets below 300 or so the "good" light comes on, I hear a "click" from the valve, and product starts to flow out to where I've disconnected the blue line. But after a few seconds I hear what sounds like a rattle but is probably multiple "clicks" from the valve, and the product flow stops.

I've tried manipulating the plunger but I don't think it's debris and it's difficult to get a voltmeter in there to see exactly what's happening.

Not a crisis since I can still switch the valve manually, but any thoughts on the symptoms I'm seeing would be very helpful.

Thanks!

- Art

When the control board calls for the Burkert valve to open it sends the ships voltage to the coil. Once the coil opens (the audible click) then the control board powers down to a lesser "hold" voltage of around 5V. If that hold voltage is not there or drops significantly enough then the valve will shut close and the existing hold voltage is not enough to reopen the valve. I would suspect that if you are hearing multiple clicking sounds while the green "GOOD" light is on that the coil is receiving just enough voltage to try to open the valve but not quite enough to keep it open, thus the valve is fluttering back and forth causing the multiple clicking sounds. You should be reading at least 12.5V at the systems terminal strip while it is running. You really need to test the two terminals as I suggested earlier with you volt meter and watch the ships voltage and then the hold voltage. This may be your issue.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 18:55   #8

That sounds very reasonable and perhaps the voltage supplied to the overall device is somehow (corroded connections?) being reduced before it gets to the switch.

I will be able to dig into it more this week. Do you happen to know the burkett model number (i.e. not the spectra part number) so I can download a spec sheet from the manufacturer?

Thanks again for all your help!

Tags
newport