Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-08-2013, 10:31   #1

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Spectra Help Needed

I'm trying to replace the end cap on the pressure vessel of our 12v water maker. It appears that there is a collar that should be removed to get the end cap off, but nothing will budge the collar.

I'm just looking for confirmation that this collar removal is the way to go, and any tips to get it off, like does it have a left hand thread (clockwise to loosen) or any other unexpected tricks?

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 16:12   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Spectra Help Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
I'm trying to replace the end cap on the pressure vessel of our 12v water maker. It appears that there is a collar that should be removed to get the end cap off, but nothing will budge the collar.

I'm just looking for confirmation that this collar removal is the way to go, and any tips to get it off, like does it have a left hand thread (clockwise to loosen) or any other unexpected tricks?

Vic

I assume the end cap is cracked?
If so then yes it has to come off and no it is not reverse threaded. If you look on the ring itself there is either a slot or a hole (chances are good it's a slot) Take a piece of wood or scrap starboard and insert the edge in the slot. Take a hammer and tap the wood/starboard to start the collar to moving in a counter clockwise direction as you look at the end cap. (just like un-threading any normal screw connection) Once it moves about 10-20 degrees you should be able to unscrew the collar by hand. Depending on which model you have and whether it has the SS tubing or the poly high pressure tubing attached to the end cap the removal process is different. Let me know what model you have or better yet post a pic of the end cap and I'll walk you through it.
Tellie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 20:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I assume the end cap is cracked?
If so then yes it has to come off and no it is not reverse threaded. If you look on the ring itself there is either a slot or a hole (chances are good it's a slot) Take a piece of wood or scrap starboard and insert the edge in the slot. Take a hammer and tap the wood/starboard to start the collar to moving in a counter clockwise direction as you look at the end cap. (just like un-threading any normal screw connection) Once it moves about 10-20 degrees you should be able to unscrew the collar by hand. Depending on which model you have and whether it has the SS tubing or the poly high pressure tubing attached to the end cap the removal process is different. Let me know what model you have or better yet post a pic of the end cap and I'll walk you through it.
Thanks Tellie. I was hoping you may be around.
It's the 12 volt one, and the number 200 comes to mind. It was on the boat when I bought it, and It's been great.
I'm attaching a picture showing the end cap and the leak, which is just a pin hole making a fine mist.
I was tempted to just drill it and screw a short self tapper into it!
But I got the right end cap replacement and just need to get the old collar loosened.
The end cap itself is poly, and it appears to me that the tube and collar are the same material. The collar does have the slot as per your description.

Vic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4095.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	65027  

Old 03-08-2013, 06:41   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

You can always PM me Vic anytime you like.

OK, if you look at your new end cap you'll see that drilling and taping probably won't work and would reduce the integrity of the end cap. Replacement in your cased is called for. First remove the high pressure tubing. You'll need two open end wrenches, a 13/16" and a 7/8" I always advise against using adjustable end wrenches here. Once the high pressure tube is removed leave the male side of the fitting in the end cap. Now remove the two SS 1/4" plugs (one is shown and the other is on the opposite side unless the product tube is there, then remove it as well) I highly suggest that you find 1/4" plastic plugs to replace them, I've seen end cap failures at these points as well with the SS ones. They are no longer used because of this. It is a low pressure product point so the plastic ones are perfect. Now with the procedure I gave above un thread the collar ring. The collar ring is aluminum so you can whack the piece of wood/starboard pretty good. The end cap is plastic and the high pressure vessel is re-inforced fiberglass. As the collar ring un-threads it will bump into the SS fitting you left in the end cap, at this point take a screw driver and gently pry between the SS fitting and ther collar. You will see the end cap move outwards a small bit. Continue un-threading the collar and use the screw driver technique again, you may have to do this three or four times before the collar totally un-threads. Now with the collar and end cap removed remove the SS fitting from the end cap and then push the end cap through the collar. Compare the two end caps. You need to make sure your old SS fitting easily threads into your new end cap. Check to see if the old SS fitting has an O-ring on it. If it does it should fit fine, if it is sealed with teflon tape it may not thread into your new end cap and you will need to get the right SS fitting. Let me know on this. DO NOT force this fitting to work or you'll be getting another new end cap. Look on the inside of the new cap. There should ether be one or two interior O-rings and there should be one exterior larger O-ring. If not hopefully you end cap came with new ones. It is possible to use the old ones if you don't have new but the interior ones are fun to get in. Once this is done, give the O-rings a coating of silicone grease and the exterior threads of the membrane vessel a little silicone grease and reverse the process. Be careful not to cross thread the collar threads onto the vessel, take your time. Once the ring has basically bottomed out on the threads a really good hand tightening is all you'll need to seal it. Don't be tempted to whack it tight like you did to remove it. Replace the SS fitting and then the high pressure hose. Be careful when threading the SS fitting back into the end cap, once it bottoms out you should be tight enough, DO NOT over tighten, remember this is SS threading into plastic. These fittings are reusable many times so don't worry. Using the two open end wrenches re-tighten the SS high pressure fitting. Be careful not to move the the fitting that threads into the end cap. A lot of pressure here is required so be careful.
If you need any help don't hesitate to just PM me and I'll give you my phone number so you can call me while you are doing this and I'll walk you through it step by step. Good Luck
Tellie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
You can always PM me Vic anytime you like.

OK, if you look at your new end cap you'll see that drilling and taping probably won't work and would reduce the integrity of the end cap. Replacement in your cased is called for. First remove the high pressure tubing. You'll need two open end wrenches, a 13/16" and a 7/8" I always advise against using adjustable end wrenches here. Once the high pressure tube is removed leave the male side of the fitting in the end cap. Now remove the two SS 1/4" plugs (one is shown and the other is on the opposite side unless the product tube is there, then remove it as well) I highly suggest that you find 1/4" plastic plugs to replace them, I've seen end cap failures at these points as well with the SS ones. They are no longer used because of this. It is a low pressure product point so the plastic ones are perfect. Now with the procedure I gave above un thread the collar ring. The collar ring is aluminum so you can whack the piece of wood/starboard pretty good. The end cap is plastic and the high pressure vessel is re-inforced fiberglass. As the collar ring un-threads it will bump into the SS fitting you left in the end cap, at this point take a screw driver and gently pry between the SS fitting and ther collar. You will see the end cap move outwards a small bit. Continue un-threading the collar and use the screw driver technique again, you may have to do this three or four times before the collar totally un-threads. Now with the collar and end cap removed remove the SS fitting from the end cap and then push the end cap through the collar. Compare the two end caps. You need to make sure your old SS fitting easily threads into your new end cap. Check to see if the old SS fitting has an O-ring on it. If it does it should fit fine, if it is sealed with teflon tape it may not thread into your new end cap and you will need to get the right SS fitting. Let me know on this. DO NOT force this fitting to work or you'll be getting another new end cap. Look on the inside of the new cap. There should ether be one or two interior O-rings and there should be one exterior larger O-ring. If not hopefully you end cap came with new ones. It is possible to use the old ones if you don't have new but the interior ones are fun to get in. Once this is done, give the O-rings a coating of silicone grease and the exterior threads of the membrane vessel a little silicone grease and reverse the process. Be careful not to cross thread the collar threads onto the vessel, take your time. Once the ring has basically bottomed out on the threads a really good hand tightening is all you'll need to seal it. Don't be tempted to whack it tight like you did to remove it. Replace the SS fitting and then the high pressure hose. Be careful when threading the SS fitting back into the end cap, once it bottoms out you should be tight enough, DO NOT over tighten, remember this is SS threading into plastic. These fittings are reusable many times so don't worry. Using the two open end wrenches re-tighten the SS high pressure fitting. Be careful not to move the the fitting that threads into the end cap. A lot of pressure here is required so be careful.
If you need any help don't hesitate to just PM me and I'll give you my phone number so you can call me while you are doing this and I'll walk you through it step by step. Good Luck
Thanks Tellie.
Appreciate the detailed instructions. My morning is going to be interesting. I'll let you know how I go.
Cheers,
Vic

Old 03-08-2013, 09:14   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Vic, see if you can get a strap wrench. Looks like a handle with a strap on the end of it, but the strap can be wrapped around anything cylindrical and it tightens up as you turn, grabbing tight without doing any damage, even on slick pipe surfaces. No banging needed.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Vic, see if you can get a strap wrench. Looks like a handle with a strap on the end of it, but the strap can be wrapped around anything cylindrical and it tightens up as you turn, grabbing tight without doing any damage, even on slick pipe surfaces. No banging needed.
I tried that without success, but in the end I used one to hold the cylinder in place while the hammer and block of wood took care of the loosening.

Vic

Old 03-08-2013, 12:48   #8

Tellie,
Mission accomplished. Thanks for your detailed instructions.
We'll be heading into the South Pacific next week a whole lot happier.
Sandy is already wasting water with gay abandon, washing tee shirts...

Vic

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: