Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 09:24   #1

Boat: Valiant 50
Spectra Cape Horn Performance

New to me Cape Horn Extreme has been unused for the past 2 months except for freshwater flushing every 5 days.

Anyhow, I have it running now and it's making lots of clean water but pressures are much lower than before.

Product flow = 18 GPH
TDS = 11 ppm ( hard to believe, but water is sweet to taste)

System Pressure cycles between 40 and 50 psi. This seems low to me. Manual states 75 psi is a good number.

I am moored up the New River in Fort Lauderdale ... Not sure how saline this is.

So to my question - are the low pressures to be worried about or are they due to the possibly low salinity of water in which we are parked?
Old 09-02-2014, 18:33   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Spectra Cape Horn Performance

Hi Neelie,

I would say things are right on the money for your Cape Horn Extreme330. There are several things to consider as to why you are getting those results. First the salinity of the water will make a big difference in pressures, production, and PPM readings. Of course I'm very familiar with the New River area as you are in my neighborhood. The New River is fed from both the Everglades and Florida water district control. Also most all of south Florida's inland waterways sit over the Florida Aquifer where fresh water springs are constantly feeding fresh water into the brackish areas. The New River is probably less than half the salinity as offshore. The fresher the water the lower pressures you will see on your system, so 40-50psi is quite normal. The system doesn't have to work as hard so your production is up, 18gph as opposed to 14gph it will certainly revert to once you are offshore. The lower TDS is also reflective of the less saltier water you are in. Expect everything to go back to what you are used to once offshore. And one last thing...DON"T run your watermaker in the New River, grab a hose and fill your tanks. Don't hesitate to call if you need anything while you are here. Just PM me.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:27   #3

Boat: Valiant 50
Re: Spectra Cape Horn Performance

Thanks!

PM on the way.