Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2019, 06:01   #1
Registered User
 
Sawbonz's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Florida
Boat: 2018 Leopard 45
Posts: 196
Spectra: A cautionary tale

We had an issue with low voltage shut offs on our water maker and contacted the authorized person in St Martin. He diagnosed the main board and gave us two options per Spectra, either return the board to them for testing and wait three weeks or buy a new board up front. Not being cactus we chose the latter. The new board fixed the problem while introducing another where the temperature constantly reads 32F and once told me it was done making water because it was pumping out 13782.4 gallons per hour. Apparently, both of these are known issues and will be fixed in a future software release "next year". It's July. Anyway, they tested our old board and "found it good" so they reimbursed us for.... Nothing. Not one freaking cent of the $1300+ for the board, labor, or shipping. There's a line in their warranty that I know that we never received that says "ÖOnce we have received Your returned product, we will determine, in our sole and absolute discretion, whether Your claim is covered by, or excluded from, this limited warrantyÖ", i.e. you really have no warranty unless we grace you. Had I seen that the calculus in purchasing a unit would have been dramatically different and knowing now how sketchy this was I would not choose them. Food for thought.
__________________

Sawbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 18:33   #2
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 26,038
Re: Spectra: A cautionary tale

I believe that is pretty much standard warranty, you send whatever it is back, they test it, and if itís no fault found they send it back.

However if I had a Spectra Iíd have Tellies number in my phone book, he may have been able to help trouble shoot.
He is I believe the Spectra dealer in Ft Lauderdale and posts here often.
__________________

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 05:12   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 35,699
Images: 241
Re: Spectra: A cautionary tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
... However if I had a Spectra Iíd have Tellies number in my phone book, he may have been able to help trouble shoot.
He is I believe the Spectra dealer in Ft Lauderdale and posts here often.
Tellie = J.T. HALDEN (Owner / Tech Support, Halden Marine Services)
Tel: +1 (954) 515-7077
293 SW 33 St. Ft. Lauderdale, Florida 33315, USA
Phone: +1 (954) 515-7077
Email: info@haldenmarineservice.com
Web ➥ https://haldenmarineservice.com/
CF Profile ➥ Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: Tellie
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 13:38   #4
Registered User
 
Sawbonz's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Florida
Boat: 2018 Leopard 45
Posts: 196
Re: Spectra: A cautionary tale

Thanks guys, Tellie installed my unit and wasn’t available at that time. I spoke with him later and he agreed with the other tech.

a64pilot, I understand your point, but mine was that their warranty is DISCRETIONARY. This means that whether or not they find a fault they don’t have to warranty the item. In my case they found no fault with the board, yet replacing it fixed the issue I was having. At the same time the new board that presumably was tested good shipped to me with at least two faults that they admit are known issues. That is where their discretion bit me in the butt.
Sawbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 14:33   #5
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 26,038
Re: Spectra: A cautionary tale

I understand what your saying, but every warranty I know of requires you to either send the item back to them or to a dealer, and they determine if itís bad or not, and if they say itís not bad, you have no option, not really.

This is pretty much for everything from the boat itself to the pieces parts in it.

That is one reason why if possible I buy whatever gadget there is from someone that if I have a problem, I get to talk to the owner / manufacturer.
Thatís not always possible of course, try that with a TV or plotter for example, but sometimes you can.

However I have learned to try calling product support before you buy with questions, if you get to talk to a knowledgeable tech that knows their stuff, and not a call center where they assign a ticket number and you hope someone gets back to you, then Iím more likely to buy.

Just got off the phone with Outback, looking to buy a gadget for my Outback 80 and had questions, well the sales guy wasnít sure so he connected me with an Engineer who knew his stuff and answers my questions and of course brought up things I hadnít thought of, even astonishingly recommend another manufacturers product and asked if I was good with an Ardunio or Rasberry Pi. He was going to tell me how to program one of those to work, but alas Iíd be a pig looking at a wrist watch, but I appreciated him asking.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 14:58   #6
Registered User
 
Sawbonz's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Florida
Boat: 2018 Leopard 45
Posts: 196
Re: Spectra: A cautionary tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I understand what your saying, but every warranty I know of requires you to either send the item back to them or to a dealer, and they determine if itís bad or not, and if they say itís not bad, you have no option, not really.

This is pretty much for everything from the boat itself to the pieces parts in it.
Hmmm, interesting. I personally have never before seen the word ďdiscretionĒ in a warranty. My fault is that I didnít read the warranty before-hand. Iím presuming that the reason I didnít get one with the unit and canít find it on their web site or through a Google search is because that terminology is so bad for the consumer is that they attempt to hide it. Iíd be interested in any other warranties that you can provide use the word ďdiscretionĒ.
Sawbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 15:02   #7
Registered User
 
Dulcesuenos's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western Caribbean
Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Posts: 3,002
Images: 4
Re: Spectra: A cautionary tale

Spectra cannot just hand out loaner parts every time someone thinks they know what their issue is. In fact not sure I am aware of any company that does that. Now if a hard part is defective that is another thing but with electrical It can be easy to mis diagnose something by going off of what others tell you. It can also happen due to several other factors, electrical issues, bad connections or grounds etc.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 15:04   #8
Registered User
 
Sawbonz's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Florida
Boat: 2018 Leopard 45
Posts: 196
Re: Spectra: A cautionary tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Spectra cannot just hand out loaner parts every time someone thinks they know what their issue is. In fact not sure I am aware of any company that does that. Now if a hard part is defective that is another thing but with electrical It can be easy to mis diagnose something by going off of what others tell you. It can also happen due to several other factors, electrical issues, bad connections or grounds etc.
Thank you, but to be clear, this wasnít just someone, it was their authorized service center.
Sawbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 00:50   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 11,069
Re: Spectra: A cautionary tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawbonz View Post
Thank you, but to be clear, this wasnít just someone, it was their authorized service center.
Not all authorized service centers are created equal. Tellie (Halden Marine) is awesome, but I was flat out ripped off by a Spectra distributor many years ago. They charged me for work, filled a warranty service claim with Spectra and kept the compensation. What scum bags.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 02:56   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Currently Run Aground Ashore...
Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Posts: 358
Re: Spectra: A cautionary tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Just got off the phone with Outback, looking to buy a gadget for my Outback 80 and had questions, well the sales guy wasnít sure so he connected me with an Engineer who knew his stuff and answers my questions and of course brought up things I hadnít thought of, even astonishingly recommend another manufacturers product and asked if I was good with an Ardunio or Rasberry Pi. He was going to tell me how to program one of those to work, but alas Iíd be a pig looking at a wrist watch, but I appreciated him asking.
That's great service
__________________

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Catamaran: Cautionary Tale for Wannabe Cruisers Jane.Joy Classifieds Archive 118 08-10-2013 09:59
A Cautionary Tale Jolly Roger General Sailing Forum 26 25-04-2013 18:53
A cautionary tale: Or trip report of Bellingham to Astoria. s/v Beth The Sailor's Confessional 3 06-06-2012 15:21
A Cautionary Tale Godwits Meets & Greets 21 06-12-2010 09:48



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:34.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.