Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2017, 05:01   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Some tech questions about my Spectra watermaker

First time Ive ever seen a post about problems with the plastic high pressure tubing.

Mine has been installed since 2004 with zero tubing issues.

What problem are you having?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 18:45   #17

Bump. Id really like to know?
Old 28-04-2017, 23:41   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Bump. Id really like to know?

It isn't the hose but the fitting. The black Parker fittings use a small SS grab ring that can work it's way loose if installed improperly, tightened down too much, or is exposed to constant vibration. The hose just backs out of the fitting once the SS grab ring fails. But the solution is far more simple than getting a hydraulic hose made for a NewPort 400. Just match the black Parker fittings male threads with the same size 5/8" nylon hose barbed fittings and some good SS hose clamps and this problem will go away for good.

HaldenMarineService@yahoo.com
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 05:25   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
It isn't the hose but the fitting. The black Parker fittings use a small SS grab ring that can work it's way loose if installed improperly, tightened down too much, or is exposed to constant vibration. The hose just backs out of the fitting once the SS grab ring fails. But the solution is far more simple than getting a hydraulic hose made for a NewPort 400. Just match the black Parker fittings male threads with the same size 5/8" nylon hose barbed fittings and some good SS hose clamps and this problem will go away for good.

Do you see this problem frequently?

The grab rings are a bit fiddly to install, but done properly, Ive never had a problem with mine...and this is not normally something you do often...a few times in the life of the system maybe. Getting just the right distance from end of tubing seems to be the trick...not so hard.

Seems like a lot of trouble to solve a "problem" thats just a matter of doing it right...or have I just been lucky?
Old 30-04-2017, 03:18   #20
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Do you see this problem frequently?

The grab rings are a bit fiddly to install, but done properly, Ive never had a problem with mine...and this is not normally something you do often...a few times in the life of the system maybe. Getting just the right distance from end of tubing seems to be the trick...not so hard.

Seems like a lot of trouble to solve a "problem" thats just a matter of doing it right...or have I just been lucky?

Not necessarily lucky, I've seen far more more not fail than do. The smaller 1/4' ones never give me any fits. The larger 3/8" & 1/2" ones that feed into the Clark pump are under higher pressures. These are the ones that I see occasionally fail. Having a few extra spare nylon fittings to match these Parker fittings along with 5-6' of braided hose and clamps is a good idea for a spares kit. It's an easy fix offshore with these spares. Finding Parker fittings are a lot harder. The trick to getting the Parker fittings end distance right is easy. Just leave the tube a bit short when you install the SS grab ring, spacer, and O-ring. Then just push the short end of the tube into the female part of the fitting until it bottoms out and it will set the distance perfectly. If you are stuck with a bad SS grab ring, sometimes you can cut a 1/4" or so off of the black tubing, place the SS grab ring on a flat surface facing upwards then gently, carefully, and lightly, tap the small tabs down a very small bit. This many times will fix the problem.

Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:54   #21

Boat: Lipari 41

My original post...problem was the hose made it difficult to line up S.S. grab rings correctly when I was changing out the membrane ...my thought was braided hose might not be so inflexible...would have worked if the flares were titanium, S.S. was not up to the task, so back to plastic hose, etc
R2boat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker