Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2018, 17:07   #1

Smallest Sailboat with Pllumbing?

I’m looking for a small sailboat from 0-3000 dollars and I need one with plumbing for the toilet only. I also need one that’s great for beginners. I’m looking at the Catalina 22 but not sure. Thanks
Evanizagood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 17:33   #2

Boat: Gemini 3200
Re: Smallest Sailboat with Pllumbing?

Plumbing for a toilet involves through-hull fittings below the water line and a holding tank. Life is much simpler if you just place a portable toilet in the boat. It is self contained and easily removable.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 18:17   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

Catalina 22 is good. Rhodes 22 is worth a look as well. Has a head and a sink although I don't know how the sink is plumbed.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 18:35   #4
Marine Service Provider

I’m looking for a small sailboat from 0-3000 dollars and I need one with plumbing for the toilet only.

You don't say where you are--coastal water or inland lake--nor how you plan to use the boat. However a self-contained system is the only thing that make sense on a boat that small...and you have two options: a portable "portypotty" that you'd have to carry off the boat to empty, or the "MSD" version of the same portapotty that's fitted to allow it to be pumped out.

Which is why it's important to know how the boat will be used...how many people, how long aboard. If only you and one other crew for day sails, a 2.5 gal portable toilet will work. If you and one or two more want to camp out over night, you might be happier with one that can be pumped out, eliminaing the need to carry it off the boat and up the dock to a receptacle that can accept the contents (and the marina will allow it!).

When I know what your needs will be, I can reply with links to the best choices.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 18:42   #5

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

A cassette or portable is definitely the way to go to avoid holding tanks and so on. You can have them on the smallest of boats.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 18:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanizagood View Post
I’m looking for a small sailboat from 0-3000 dollars and I need one with plumbing for the toilet only. I also need one that’s great for beginners. I’m looking at the Catalina 22 but not sure. Thanks

Define "plumbing", please. Are you just after a toilet set-up that would be compliant with marine regulations?

On our small boat, we have what's termed a Type 3 MSD (Marine Sanitation Device). In a nutshell... it's a porta-pottie with connections for a pump-out hose to a deck fitting, and a vent-line. We can take our place beside the big boats at the pump-out dock, unscrew our deck fitting cover, stick the nozzle in, and in 3 seconds... well you get the idea.

You can stick a Type III MSD in just about any small boat with a cabin, from 16 ft and up.

In some jurisdictions (but not everywhere) a 5 gal plastic bucket with a toilet seat on it counts as a Type III MSD. Ewww.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 18:54   #7

I plan to use the boat around Charleston inlet. I have been wanting a sailboat for a while, and I am going to get one soon. I am most likely going to be at sea for around 1-3 days at a time. I will also bring a crew of friends that are around 2-3 people. (Not including me).
Old 24-05-2018, 18:58   #8

I meant like an actual toilet. My only issue with going to sea for a long period is where to use the bathroom lol.
Old 24-05-2018, 19:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanizagood View Post
I plan to use the boat around Charleston inlet. I have been wanting a sailboat for a while, and I am going to get one soon. I am most likely going to be at sea for around 1-3 days at a time. I will also bring a crew of friends that are around 2-3 people. (Not including me).

Small sailboats are great fun. We're going into year 11 with a 19' boat.

If there's going to be 3 or 4 people sleeping aboard, you should aim for a boat that's at least 22'. There are some in this size that have the room for a porcelain Jabsco manual toilet, if that's your desire.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 05:38   #10
Marine Service Provider

If you plan on having 3-4 people aboard for up to 3 days, I suggest you look for a bit larger boat--something 24-25'...'cuz just 22' would have y'all packed in like sardines!

You'll definitely need a self-contained sanitation system instead of any marine toilet 'cuz toilet waste can't be flushed directly overboard in coastal waters, it must be held aboard...and a toilet and holding tank large enough to last even 2 people 3 days, along with all the plumbing needed would take up at least half your storage space.

IMO your best choice would be a 5-6 gal "MSD" portapotty... The "MSD" designation in the model name/number means it has fittings for a pumpout line and vent line, and is designed to be permanently installed (actually just sturdier brackets than portables, so you could still take it off the boat if you absolutely have to), which means that although it's still called a PORTApotty, you don't have to carry anything off the boat to empty it.

A 5-6 gallon model holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gal tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet. No plumbing needed except a vent line and pumpout hose--so no new holes in the boat...and -0- maintenance needed except for rinsing out the tank--which you can do with a bucket while it's being pumped out. Total cost including the pumpout hose and vent line is about $200--a fraction of what you'd spend for toilet, tank and all the related plumbing needed. And the best part is, you have all the advantages of a toilet and holding tank without giving up a single square foot of storage space.
Check out the Thetford 550P MSD and the Dometic/SeaLand 975MSD Sanipottie. Defender always has the most complete descriptions and often has the best prices:

Thetford 550P MSD on Defender SeaLand 975 MSD

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 07:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
If you plan on having 3-4 people aboard for up to 3 days, I suggest you look for a bit larger boat--something 24-25'...'cuz just 22' would have y'all packed in like sardines!

You'll definitely need a self-contained sanitation system instead of any marine toilet 'cuz toilet waste can't be flushed directly overboard in coastal waters, it must be held aboard...and a toilet and holding tank large enough to last even 2 people 3 days, along with all the plumbing needed would take up at least half your storage space.

IMO your best choice would be a 5-6 gal "MSD" portapotty... The "MSD" designation in the model name/number means it has fittings for a pumpout line and vent line, and is designed to be permanently installed (actually just sturdier brackets than portables, so you could still take it off the boat if you absolutely have to), which means that although it's still called a PORTApotty, you don't have to carry anything off the boat to empty it.

A 5-6 gallon model holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gal tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet. No plumbing needed except a vent line and pumpout hose--so no new holes in the boat...and -0- maintenance needed except for rinsing out the tank--which you can do with a bucket while it's being pumped out. Total cost including the pumpout hose and vent line is about $200--a fraction of what you'd spend for toilet, tank and all the related plumbing needed. And the best part is, you have all the advantages of a toilet and holding tank without giving up a single square foot of storage space.
Check out the Thetford 550P MSD and the Dometic/SeaLand 975MSD Sanipottie. Defender always has the most complete descriptions and often has the best prices:

Thetford 550P MSD on Defender SeaLand 975 MSD

Peggie
I’ll have to definitely get that for sure.
Old 25-05-2018, 08:27   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

A Catalina 22 would be a good choice with a port-a-potty from what you have said.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 08:57   #13

Boat: Catalina 22 - My first boat!!

I have a Catalina 22. It's been a great learning boat. I have been doing everything from re-bedding hardware to fiberglass repair. I spend a lot of time camping on it with my girlfriend. It's on a trailer, so you can travel to all sorts of fund destinations.

However, using the porta potty is a challenge. It sits in the V-berth, so if you plan on sleeping there, it's going to be an issue in the night or early mornings. (We don't sleep in the V-berth, its too short to be comfortable.) Plus, the headroom is marginal so that even sitting on the potty is very cramped ordeal. We usually set the potty in the cockpit at the end of the evening. It's out of the way and a lot easier to use. Of course, this is predicated on finding a private anchoring spot.

The Catalina 22 is perfect for 2 people. It will sail 4 adults, but sleep more than 2 - I wouldn't consider it.
kclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 10:33   #14

Boat: ODAY 28

The catalaina 22 is a good boat to learn on easy to sail, you can plumb it with a marine head. it is also easy to get parts for. however I think you would want a bigger boat for what you suggest being a sea for 2-3 days with 3 other people
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 10:47   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeing1 View Post
The catalaina 22 is a good boat to learn on easy to sail, you can plumb it with a marine head. it is also easy to get parts for. however I think you would want a bigger boat for what you suggest being a sea for 2-3 days with 3 other people
I think maybe being at sea was a figure of speech. Maybe the inlets or the ICW? If Charleston is SC you have the rivers.
His budget would pretty much preclude anything larger.
Depending on age, two might sleep in the cockpit. Lots of deet, so the skeeters don't carry them away.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat