Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-01-2016, 11:54   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Skips new Seafrost poor performance problem

60AH/day is good performance, and better than most. I'm confused, I thought you said it was running most of the time and consuming well north of 100AH/day - even 200. If you are at that lower number, then I'd call it good.

If your insulation is good, you will see at most another 10AH/day in the tropics, which will still make yours a comparatively efficient system compared to most. Particularly given the sizes of your boxes - many reported lower numbers are for either smaller boxes or mostly fridges with a little ice cube freezer.

Again, the avalanche of numbers has me confused as to where you really stand.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 13:42   #77

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Re: Skips new Seafrost poor performance problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
60AH/day is good performance, and better than most. I'm confused, I thought you said it was running most of the time and consuming well north of 100AH/day - even 200. If you are at that lower number, then I'd call it good.

If your insulation is good, you will see at most another 10AH/day in the tropics, which will still make yours a comparatively efficient system compared to most. Particularly given the sizes of your boxes - many reported lower numbers are for either smaller boxes or mostly fridges with a little ice cube freezer.

Again, the avalanche of numbers has me confused as to where you really stand.

Mark
Heh. Sorry about that.

In my 'update' post, which has prompted the latest flurry, I observed that if we were in New England waters in the summer and Vero or so in the winter, our results would, apparently, be markedly different from what our real life involves.

Ideally, we'll spend no more summers in Vero; we had a short visit necessitated by a family emergency this time, but otherwise we expect to be in the Bahamas in the summer, where air and water both are well under what it is here, and I don't have to ream the water cooling weekly or more frequently to deal with the biomass.

And, indeed, for a period of about 48 hours after a short trip to take a couple of old ladies (still air only, however) on a ride, during which time our engine room, where our compressor is located, got hot for about 10 hours before returning to ambient, our system ran continuously at, apparently from the recorded AH consumed, "high" - which seems to work out to close to 10A average (240AH/day). Once it started cycling, it worked its way down, slowly, a good thing indeed.

However, in the two trips we made to the Bahamas this spring and summer, we =were= seeing very much higher draws. It was only because of good sun and wind for a fair portion of the time that we didn't have to replace amps with our Honda on average every other day (as we do, even now, unless the sun and wind cooperate, but skewed due to my computer time, which is more here than in the Bahamas). And, I'm sure that the brief times we motored affected that as well. There's no practical means of getting clean air =to= the condenser; it's ducted out, rather than pulling in, from a vent above the deck, per Cleave's instruction to Clay, the installing tech, to avoid any possible salt contamination. I've been wrestling with the possibilities, which might include reversing the fan (pulling air into the duct and pushing it out over the compressor and coils) and running a duct into some other space as the source for cooling. It won't look good, and will be in the way, and might have to be disconnected for us to access some of the spares storage we have on shelves in there, but if it solves the hot-ambient-air problem it will be more than worth it.

However - and I expect that Richard will prove me wrong - it seems as though it's pretty close to dialed in, and the insulation and gasketing seems to be in order. I'm sure I'll be taken to task for fiddling with plate cutoff temps, but so far I seem to have managed to cut our consumption notably; whether I can raise it a bit further without giving up being able to freeze bread (my marker; we don't have ice cream aboard) remains to be seen. In any event, I won't do that for a few days, as it's only been a couple since I went from -10 to, first, -5, and now -2. Those were both waypoints I hit on the way down from where we started, which was +1.5 - which did =not= freeze bread, and burgers/veggie burgers (the only stuff we dared put in there for fear of thaw) had to be against the plates to be frozen. Note that my experience in the Bahamas those two times in the spring and summer were at that higher setpoint, and we STILL used lots more amps. OTOH, we were running the water cooling as well, in hopes that we might gain efficiency; that uses an amp all by itself, and I don't know, really, that it gains in efficiency what it loses in electrons over air only.

The proof will be when we head to your neighborhood in February or so, until late April, when we have to be back for several events (at which time we'll decommission again); that will be moderate temps for the Bahamas, but better sun and wind, on average, than Vero.

Thanks for the interest and follow-up. Where are you?

Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFlyingPigLog
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: