Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2013, 21:44   #1

Silencing Camfrano Fans

We've got a few of the nice Camfrano 3 speed fans. All of them seem to get some rattles in them, especially at low speed, in various positions. Has anyone come up with a good way to take care of it? Take them apart and oil them or something of the sort?
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 05:15   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: silencing camfrano fans

Hella and Camfrano should be shot for false advertising. If those fans are silent I wonder why I sleep in a roar like and airport runway.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 05:36   #3

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah
Re: silencing camfrano fans

I have 4 Camfranos and 2 Hellas on board. Most of them run 24/7 during the summer. Keeping them quiet is tricky and not always successful. Dirt build up is the usual reason them getting noisy. The other reason is age. You can do something about the dirt, but not much about the age.
Once or twice a year (depending on dirt/grease accumulation) I thoroughly clean them. This is easier on the Hellas as there is no cage in the back. the Camfranos I completely disassemble and clean.
Getting the Camfranos back together sometimes results in more noise than before cleaning, but that is usually overcome by another, more careful re-assembly.
My experience is that the Hellas, when new, are noisier than the Camfranos after years of use. I have a Camfrano over the head of my bunk. During the summer is runs on low every night and I can barely hear it.
On high all of the fans are noisy.
The main drawback on the Camfranos are their penchant for turning on whenever I transmit on the SSB at 12mHz.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 05:57   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Silencing Camfrano Fans

my nice cheapo fans are very quiet. didnt cost much either.. have lasted now 3 years.

calframo--no reason to purchase when walmart and other fans do so well....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 06:46   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Rebel, are yours bulkhead mounted? I find that over time the spring that holds the two mounting pieces together and allows you to pull out the fan and turn it gets weak and the locating teeth start to chatter (I know this sentence sounds stupid if you don't have this version of the fan, but makes sense if you do). For a test, remove the fan from the bulkhead and tighten the nut in the back firmly so there is no way the fan can be turned anymore. Remount and see if it is quiet.

I find it is better to trade the ability to rotate the fan for more quiet operation on some of our fans (like in our berth) because we never rotate them anyway and tilting takes care of the full range of motion we need.

Another possibility is if the fan is mounted on a thin bulkhead that can resonate like a drum with a little vibration from the fan.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 06:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
my nice cheapo fans are very quiet. didnt cost much either.. have lasted now 3 years.

calframo--no reason to purchase when walmart and other fans do so well....
thanks, best of luck
Old 27-07-2013, 06:57   #7

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
My Hellas are loud and annoying to adjust with the open back. My wife sticks her fingers in there nearly every time. They rattle when the knob is loose, but for some other reason too that I have yet to figure out.

The caframo with the push button in the center is pretty quiet but its new. Is that the kind you have with the big push button?
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 07:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
My wife sticks her fingers in there nearly every time.
With Hella's, she will only be able to do that 10 times...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 27-07-2013, 07:10   #9

Quote:
The caframo with the push button in the center is pretty quiet but its new. Is that the kind you have with the big push button?
Excellent point - I forgot that caframo makes many different models and types of fans. In the post above, I was discussing their open two-blade fans. Since these are 2-speed, I don't think they are the ones Rebel has.

Mark

Old 27-07-2013, 07:21   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
thanks, best of luck
bakatcha
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 07:22   #11

Quote:
My Hellas are loud and annoying to adjust with the open back. My wife sticks her fingers in there nearly every time. They rattle when the knob is loose, but for some other reason too that I have yet to figure out.

I've got the "sirrico" I think. Three speed with some timer options.

I don't think it's the mount itself as it's pretty much all of them and they're all mounted differently. I suppose I just need to clean the blades, check it out, disassemble, check it out, etc.

We're in Sea of Cortez with no AC so the fans are on the important list.
Old 27-07-2013, 07:24   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens View Post
I have 4 Camfranos and 2 Hellas on board. Most of them run 24/7 during the summer. Keeping them quiet is tricky and not always successful. Dirt build up is the usual reason them getting noisy. The other reason is age. You can do something about the dirt, but not much about the age.
Once or twice a year (depending on dirt/grease accumulation) I thoroughly clean them. This is easier on the Hellas as there is no cage in the back. the Camfranos I completely disassemble and clean.
Getting the Camfranos back together sometimes results in more noise than before cleaning, but that is usually overcome by another, more careful re-assembly.
Hopefully it's just dirt making the blades wobble then. I'll check it out and report back.
Old 27-07-2013, 09:18   #13

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

To clarify on the type of Caframo fan, I have the Bora fans. Those are the 3-bladed, 3-speed fans with the control button in the middle.

Zeehag - what model fan did you buy at Walmart. I couldn't find any 12VDC fans there the last time I looked. All they had were 120VAC fans that would have to be run through an inverter, or portable fans that run off C or D cell batteries.

I do have a couple of small AC fans on board that I can use dockside, but otherwise I only use 12VDC fans.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc