Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2015, 03:53   #1

Boat: BR, PCF 40, 40', 2011
Shower sump system alternative

Hi all;

I have tried both Rule and Altwood alternatives, but inlets are being broken after some usage. Most probably hoses are too tight but I will not be able to make the hose longer (without adding a new part, which I wouldn't prefer). I've checked any alternative material (like inbox made box) but couldn't find any. I've seen those Jabsco shower pumps:

http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/imag....axd?width=500

but I don't know if they work automatically like sump systems. Anyone has an idea or different recommendations?

Thank you very much!
Berke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:33   #2

Boat: S&S 52 Design#2126
Re: Shower sump system alternative

I have pump like this hooked up to my shower system-good gear yet you'll need to wire the float switch to make it run in automatic mode... mine is manual and once the shower sump is full then I simply use pull on/off switch to drain it.
Capt.Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:18   #3

I also consider to custom made an inox container, where I can use metal fittings rather than plastic inlets and put a bilge pump with sensor inside the container.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:40   #4

Boat: Nordhavn 50

I connected my shower pump to a pressure switch installed in-line after the shower valve. When water pressure enters the shower line, it activates the pump, and continues to run as long as the water is turned on, pumping directly overboard. After you finish showering, you press a momentary switch to activate the pump to evacuate the residual water. No sump required. Here is a link to a write up I did on another forum with all the details.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...ml#post1016644
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:00   #5

Boat: PT-11

You need the Whale grey or gulley IC system.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:52   #6

I've been using the Whale IC Shower system for a couple of years and -- so far -- it's been great. Very neat install. It's surprising how much space the old sump box took. No standing water in the bottom of the sump to grow mysterious organisms.. No strainer to clean (if the crap can get through the shower drain grate the pump can handle it). Automatic switch works reliably. The only issue I had was that the hose from the shower was initially so short that the pump sucked air at every stroke making an annoying slurping noise at the shower drain. A slightly longer hose fixed the problem.

Not a cheap solution but well worth it if this ends the semi-annual "shower's not draining" repair annoyance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 10.42.15 AM.png
Views:	458
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	98244  
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:53   #7

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

I hear ya. Most systems I've seen are CRAPOLA. Fittings break, lids don't seal, switches are poor, flow capacities are marginal. I'm trialing this system - which so far I am very happy with - it is tough as nails, and was dead easy to put in.

Lavatory Systems - Greywater Tank | Johnson Pump - Marine | Product Detail

I've only got 1 year on it though, so YMMV.

good luck.
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:32   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

The Jabsco pump you posted a link to is not automatic. You would need to turn it on when you start the shower and off when you're done. You could make it automatic but that gets complicated and you would probably need a sump to do that.

The Whale system recommened by some is automatic and eliminates the need for a sump.

If you want to stick with a sump system, it would be easy to make your own box. I'd use plywood and epoxy because Ive used those materials to build a lot of things and I'm familiar with it.

Starboard would be another option now that there is a sealant that will stick to it.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:39   #9

Boat: Camano Troll

My shower has a pump (I don't know the make or model but I suspect Jabsco) that's just connected to the shower drain and overboard. There's a manual switch to turn it on and off. So start your shower, turn the pump on (and off as necessary), then let it run after the shower long enough to drain the shower pan.

Not especially elegant, but simple with no sump to leak or smell and no float switch to jam or fail.

That's how the boat was built. If I remember I'll get the pump info the next time I'm on the boat.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:45   #10

Boat: 44 footer

Hopcar, what sealant sticks to starboard?

Thanks,

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:57   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
The Jabsco pump you posted a link to is not automatic. You would need to turn it on when you start the shower and off when you're done. You could make it automatic but that gets complicated and you would probably need a sump to do that.

The Whale system recommened by some is automatic and eliminates the need for a sump.

If you want to stick with a sump system, it would be easy to make your own box. I'd use plywood and epoxy because Ive used those materials to build a lot of things and I'm familiar with it.

Starboard would be another option now that there is a sealant that will stick to it.

I am looking at that with interest --

I have two gray water boxes on my boat -- typical big boat installation. Each pumped out above the waterline by its own Gulper 220 activated by a bilge pump float switch.

The system is very reliable and the pumps are really good.

However -- and here is the big however -- the aft gray water box takes effluent from the galley sink, which settles out in the box and decomposes into a hideous slime, the cleaning out of which is one of the most unpleasant jobs on board. The Gulper would discharge it, except that the pickup is at one end and not at the very bottom (and couldn't be), so the carp settles out.

If I could bypass the box altogether, at least for the galley sink, it would change my life. Do you think it would be suitable for draining a galley sink?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:42   #12

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berke View Post
Hi all;

I have tried both Rule and Altwood alternatives, but inlets are being broken after some usage. Most probably hoses are too tight but I will not be able to make the hose longer (without adding a new part, which I wouldn't prefer). I've checked any alternative material (like inbox made box) but couldn't find any. I've seen those Jabsco shower pumps:

http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/imag....axd?width=500

but I don't know if they work automatically like sump systems. Anyone has an idea or different recommendations?

Thank you very much!
I have that exact pump on my shower, which I installed a couple of years ago. It replaced a Jabsco that was 25 years old of substantially identical design that finally quit on me. It comes with the standard Jabsco in-line strainer that is installed before the pump.

It's manually operated. I have push/pull switch right outside the shower which activates it, and the shower pan is about 4" tall. The pump easily keeps up with water flow. I'm very happy with the arrangement; simple and easy to maintain/clean. I've never found the need to toggle the on/off switch when showering to be much of a burden, lol.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:49   #13

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

My manually switched Rule sits in the shower sump and the hose loops to the sink drain... I installed an inexpensive one way/check valve. That provides the extra hose length and eliminates back flow.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:07   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I have that exact pump on my shower, which I installed a couple of years ago. It replaced a Jabsco that was 25 years old of substantially identical design that finally quit on me. It comes with the standard Jabsco in-line strainer that is installed before the pump.

It's manually operated. I have push/pull switch right outside the shower which activates it, and the shower pan is about 4" tall. The pump easily keeps up with water flow. I'm very happy with the arrangement; simple and easy to maintain/clean. I've never found the need to toggle the on/off switch when showering to be much of a burden, lol.
Manuel switch will not work for me.. She is a custom made boat and while building the boat, plumbing was done in an awful way..still I am trying to clean the shitty stuff for last three years.. shower sink was placed on the floor and all fitting are hidden. so it would be be hard job to place a switch there.. now water comes out off the sink, to the shower sump which is in the engine room and it pumps to the grey water tank in the master cabin. looks like Johnson greywater than might work, or I will make my own epoxy or inox box..
Old 03-03-2015, 10:10   #15

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

I installed a Johnson multi port shower sump a few years ago. Plumbed both vanity sinks into it as well as the shower drain. Easy install and works great with its auto switch. The outlet is above the water line and allowed me to seal off some thru hulls. The unit is cheap and would be easy to replace when the time comes.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower, shower sump