Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2015, 10:17   #16

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Shower sump system alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berke View Post
Manuel switch will not work for me.. She is a custom made boat and while building the boat, plumbing was done in an awful way..still I am trying to clean the shitty stuff for last three years.. shower sink was placed on the floor and all fitting are hidden. so it would be be hard job to place a switch there.. now water comes out off the sink, to the shower sump which is in the engine room and it pumps to the grey water tank in the master cabin. looks like Johnson greywater than might work, or I will make my own epoxy or inox box..
Your pump requires electricity to work so a switch can be installed anywhere in the positive conductor and wires can be routed to wherever you want to place the switch.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:19   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
My shower has a pump (I don't know the make or model but I suspect Jabsco) that's just connected to the shower drain and overboard. There's a manual switch to turn it on and off. So start your shower, turn the pump on (and off as necessary), then let it run after the shower long enough to drain the shower pan.

Not especially elegant, but simple with no sump to leak or smell and no float switch to jam or fail.

That's how the boat was built. If I remember I'll get the pump info the next time I'm on the boat.
That's what we have, too. KISS. Our pump is a diaphragm connected to the sump box with a check valve, and a simple I/O switch.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:28   #18

I solved the problem by putting a shower on the swim platform and it works great.
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:35   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berke View Post
Hi all;

I have tried both Rule and Altwood alternatives, but inlets are being broken after some usage. Most probably hoses are too tight but I will not be able to make the hose longer (without adding a new part, which I wouldn't prefer). I've checked any alternative material (like inbox made box) but couldn't find any. I've seen those Jabsco shower pumps:

http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/imag....axd?width=500

but I don't know if they work automatically like sump systems. Anyone has an idea or different recommendations?

Thank you very much!
I am not sure I understand the problem? Inlets are being broken, I take that the mean the hose bibs are braking? You might take an alternative approach and come up with a softer mount for the unit?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 14:34   #20

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 islands View Post
I solved the problem by putting a shower on the swim platform and it works great.
Not so great in an anchorage with other boats or at a dock with no "marina" showers.

We shower outside when we can because there's no cleanup afterward.
Old 03-03-2015, 17:34   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Zach, Sudbury Elastomeric Sealant claims to stick to Starboard with no need of primer or other special prep. I haven't tried it on Starboard yet but Sudbury sent me some samples of Starboard glued together with the Sudbury sealant. The samples are very impressive.

I used the sealant when I installed some hardware. It was nice to work with and skinned over quickly.

From the Sudbury catalog.

"Adheres tenaciously without primers to fiberglass, glass, plastic (including Starboard), metal and wood. Simple clean up with mineral spirits. Not recommended for wooden deck seams or use in areas subject to gasoline."
http://catalog.sudburyboatcare.com/a...?RelId=6.2.3.1

Tags
shower, shower sump