Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2009, 11:32   #1

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
shower installation

good day everyone. we have a little catalina 27 great little boat but my wife was wondering what would be involved in installing a shower in it. not sure about this myself but hey thought id ask. thanks
michaelmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 12:15   #2

Boat: Morgan 321, BELIEVE
My previous boat was a Catalina with a cold water shower. There was a shower nozzle in the head supplied by the fresh water pump. It wasn't a comfortable water temp during the spring and late fall, but it did help in removing the suntan lotion before crawling into the v-berth on a hot summer's night.

Obviously, a hot water shower would be more complicated, but it could be done. If you have an inboard engine there is probably enough room under the cockpit for a small ~ one gal. thank. If you are using an outboard there is the possibility of adapting a camping type propane heating system. Though how the camping type system could be installed and used safely would be a concern.
Duke 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 12:58   #3

Boat: Le Zephyr, MacGregor 26M
Hot water shower

The easiest and cheapest for a small boat is a Zodi!
159$..click on the link and see

enjoy hot water anytime anywhere with zodi on demand hot water and portable hot showers, over 40 camping comfort products

You can just put it on your boat stove top. I heat up my zodi on my origo alcohol stove top
Q1
Québec 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 18:12   #4

Another good technique is to use a solar shower. It's portable so you can use it on deck when conditions are appropriate. When it's sunny but there's mixed company about, you can run the hose through the portlight in the head (provided you have a shower sump in the head). If it's cold, and mixed company, just fill the bag up with water from the stove mixed with regular water.

It might not be for everyone, but it's cheap and flexible.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 18:40   #5

Boat: Maxum 2700 SCR (28')
Here's a very economical shower idea.

Duckworks Boatbuilders Supply
Jim Quibell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 19:35   #6

Boat: Privilege 37
I have two showers on board and still use the solar showers. They are great! Don't have to run engines to heat the water, don't have to have electricity to pump.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 21:11   #7

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Without a shower sump the hair skin etc that runs off ends up in the bilge. I haven't done this yet but it looks quite straightforward to install a sump that pumps out to an existing thruhull.
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 21:47   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
As far as hair in the bilge or stinky shower water for that matter. I find these little gems are worth the money.
Attached Images

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:33   #9

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
These are good, used them for showers for months at a time.

http://www.rockaroundtheblock.com.au...ID=140&c=42940

Put in a couple of litres of hot from the kettle if thats your thing and they have spray and jet.

My partner could wash her long hair and shower and use about 3 litres and I'd use the rest, so 2 showers for 5 litres total.

These often sell in the Oz version of home depot for about $7

Dave
Old 04-03-2009, 07:39   #10

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Sunshowers may seem basic, but their utility shouldn't be under rated. Water can be warmed in the sun, or you can easily warm water on your stove. They are inexpensive and prevent anyone from using up most of your water tank water. They can be filled before a short trip and will conform to oddly shapped places including the bilge, so it enables you to bring more water, rather than stretch your tank water further.

Regardless of what delivery system you use, if people shower inside, you should install a proper shower sump as mentioned in above posts. Letting wash water drain into the bilge can cause all sorts of trouble. If you decide to use your boats water tank, you can install a head sink tap that comes out to be used as a shower or install a separate shower tap. Make sure it turns off easily or people will waste water. I prefer one that actively needs to triggered open if using a pressurized water system.

Even though I have shower factory installed in my Beneteau, I rarely let people use it. The issues of clogged sumps, high water use, wet toilet paper, and humidity in the boat just are not worth it considering the cockpit is more spacious, was designed to drain water and has an ocean load of salt water readily availalble. I realize, of course, climate and your wife's temperment come into play.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, shower