Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2015, 02:37   #1

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Shower Hot Water Options

Hi guys,

I've had an Australian 'Glind' hot water system attached to my engine. After making sure it's attached to the correct spot of my 38hp VP, and testing it out this week, I'm convinced it does not work. Today, with 2000 revs I get look warm water 'if' I have just enough water coming out out of the shower rose and no more. But on cold days like today, it's certainly not enough to have a shower.

I don't have room for a generator to heat a dedicated hw tank.

What do others use for hot water? There is a unit that works off 12v with its own 10ltr stainless steel tank. But I'm skeptical.

http://www.australiandirect.com.au/b...Duoetto10LPack
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 02:50   #2

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3
Re: Shower Hot Water Options

Bosch or other gas instant system no tank required.Had one on last boat wish I had one now.
However I would take a closer look at your Glind we had one for years that we used travelling in the 4x4 I thought they where virtually indestructible and worked a treat but obviously your engine needs to be hot.Not sure if yours is the same but really just like a heat exchanger.
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 02:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
Bosch or other gas instant system no tank required.Had one on last boat wish I had one now.
Don't they have to be flewed to the outside for safety though?
Old 28-08-2015, 02:56   #4

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Yes mine had a little chimney but I have seen them fitted externally if that's suitable.
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 09:45   #5

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Does your heater have a mixing valve to mix incoming cool water with the outflowing hot water? Mine has one because the water out would be scalding without it.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 10:27   #6

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

I have looked at the "on demand" type propane water heater. There are a few units out there, some of which will indicate they are marine type or marine certified. The challenge is that some regulations (ABYC, etc) do not approve of such "unattended" devices inside the hull unless they are in a sealed compartment with air intake and exhaust coming from the exterior.

I am still considering such a device and may well install it outside the hull, rather than inside. Nothing is certain yet.

Here is one type:

Gas water heaters hot water heaters propane residential commercial

Here is another - not marine but one could install it outdoors. I may not work if the boat is heeled but the cost is quite reasonable.

AQUAH Tankless Water Heater

Or this one:

Eccotemp L7 Portable Tankless Water Heater - 282086, Portable Toilets & Showers at Sportsman's Guide
Old 28-08-2015, 11:32   #7

Boat: Hans Christian 33

We have had an Excell ventless propane heater mounted on our anchor locker for about 6 years now. Works great and haven't had any safety issues with it at all. It is on a dedicated propane tank and solenoid that gets shut off when not in use. I also installed a water solenoid for the water supply to the heater which opens with the propane solenoid to keep it from trying to ignite.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 13:44   #8

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Hi guys,

I've had an Australian 'Glind' hot water system attached to my engine. After making sure it's attached to the correct spot of my 38hp VP, and testing it out this week, I'm convinced it does not work. Today, with 2000 revs I get look warm water 'if' I have just enough water coming out out of the shower rose and no more. But on cold days like today, it's certainly not enough to have a shower.

I don't have room for a generator to heat a dedicated hw tank.

What do others use for hot water? There is a unit that works off 12v with its own 10ltr stainless steel tank. But I'm skeptical.

Duoetto 10 Litre 12/240v Hot Water System & Shower Box Package - Aus J
Hoist a black nylon 20 lit tank on your mast on a sunny day and in one hour you have the best temp water for a shower
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 14:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos1955 View Post
Hoist a black nylon 20 lit tank on your mast on a sunny day and in one hour you have the best temp water for a shower
That's all very well for sunny days, (as I have one) but doesn't work at all if there's no sun. So I'm after something a little more regular.
Old 28-08-2015, 14:49   #10

Our hot water tank runs off either 110 volts or the engine. We have found that running the engine exactly 20 minutes gives you the perfect water temperature.

But, we also use a sun shower sometimes, too. It seems like we use a lot less water when we shower with one of those than when we use the pressurized boat system.
Old 28-08-2015, 14:57   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Shower Hot Water Options

When the hot water heater stopped working off the engine I traced it to a diverter on the engine. Good thing I bought 5 (they were cheap). I destroyed the first four trying to install them. The metal was thin but extremely brittle. It finally occurred to me to put a small grindstone on a Dremel. I carefully ground down the edges until I had a really good fit. Put it back together and it's worked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 14:58   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
We have had an Excell ventless propane heater mounted on our anchor locker for about 6 years now. Works great and haven't had any safety issues with it at all. It is on a dedicated propane tank and solenoid that gets shut off when not in use. I also installed a water solenoid for the water supply to the heater which opens with the propane solenoid to keep it from trying to ignite.
Where is you propane bottle for this? Is it the same bottle you cook with?

Does it have to be flued outside?
Old 28-08-2015, 15:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
When the hot water heater stopped working off the engine I traced it to a diverter on the engine. Good thing I bought 5 (they were cheap). I destroyed the first four trying to install them. The metal was thin but extremely brittle. It finally occurred to me to put a small grindstone on a Dremel. I carefully ground down the edges until I had a really good fit. Put it back together and it's worked fine.
Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I don't understand your post at all?

5 engines installed? 5 shower units? What did you put back together?
Old 28-08-2015, 15:25   #14

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Where is you propane bottle for this? Is it the same bottle you cook with?

Does it have to be flued outside?
Our head is in the vee. The tank sits in a vented deck box directly above the anchor locker. We have a different tank for cooking which sits on a pushpit at our stern. The heater is ventless so it is not flued. It never runs long enough to be an issue. I did use some aluminum sheeting as a heat shield that it is mounted to.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 15:42   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
Our head is in the vee. The tank sits in a vented deck box directly above the anchor locker. We have a different tank for cooking which sits on a pushpit at our stern. The heater is ventless so it is not flued. It never runs long enough to be an issue. I did use some aluminum sheeting as a heat shield that it is mounted to.
That sounds promising. I had friends who sadly lost their three little girls many years ago from an unflued water heater set up in a tiny bathroom (not on a boat). I'm not sure if it sucked all the air out of the room or the burn off killed them from the lack of flue. But it's a serious warning in small spaces.

But I could put one of these on the back wall to my head, not in it and run the pipes to the inside. The LPG bottle could be put in my locker above the V too.

Tags
shower, water