Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2015, 02:02   #31

Re: Shower Hot Water Options

I tried the duet to and removed it straight away. Too much electricity (I only have 12v), too long to heat the water and not enough hot water as the new cold entering the 10L tank mixed with the hot water and quickly became tepid.
I installed a Bosch 10i in a sealed cupboard with an air intake and external flue. Bosch have a new small unit that is a sealed unit - Exhaust and intake are through the same flue. I have a solenoid on the gas. I also installed heat reflective materials around the system and a double skin flue. The emitted heat is much lower than expected. As the running time is so short you can still comfortably place your hand on the flue after running. It is warm at worst.
Old 29-08-2015, 03:02   #32

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

I've used a paloma lpg gas califont for about 15 yrs. flue less, installed in aft head/shower compartment, supplied by T joint on oven supply. Never been an issue except for on bottle of gas from SE Asia with water contamination. There is an lpg alarm with sensor at floor level. Instant hot water, any time. Have to open hatch in compartment, or O2 sensor in unit will switch off gas supply after about 4 mins. Unit is also protected by water flow and flame out sensors, both of which can cut gas supply. Great system, wouldn't have anything else.
Old 29-08-2015, 04:13   #33

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

What about Zodi?
Zodi Portable Instant Hot Showers | Zodi SAFE Tent Heaters | Free Shipping * on Orders over $100 | Zodi.com

Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 12:45   #34

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Good Morning RC,
I see no mention anywhere in the Glint info suggesting a holding tank is involved nor do you mention if your engine is FW or salt water cooled.

My Volvo is FW cooled via a heat exchanger . The FW flows - not neccesarily in this order but I think I have it right - FW circ pump on engine, Engine, heat exchanger within my calorifier/holding tank, sea water/engine water heat exchanger and back to the FW circ pump.

About 20 minutes and calorifier is full of hot water and can stay that way for a day and a halfish. Calorifier also has a 240v element in it so no probs with HW when in marinas.

On passage under sail no probs either as I run a 'no showers/nobody stinks on a submarine' regime.....

moving right along.... I have a Clegham Waring 'Seawarm' calorifier... don't ask me what the capacity is.. I have no idea.

Lots of interesting stuff at there site for FW or raw water cooled engines.. hope this helps
http://www.jabscoshop.com/itemimages...on%20Guide.pdf
Old 29-08-2015, 16:15   #35
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowey49er View Post
Hi, Rustic Charm, I have a lpg instant hot water heater, I use a 12v submersible bilge pump into 20 litre drum of cold water,I have a small motorcycle battery to run the pump, Lpg is supplied from a 3 kilogram cyclinder with a,1500mmm long hose, the unit is about 500mm tall, 300 wide, and 125 deep and I hang it off the back stay under the bimini when its shower time
the unit has two "D" size rechargable torch batteries to ignite the gas.
I turn on the gas and the pump at the same time, the pump preasure causes the gas solenoid to open and the piezo igniter to light the gas water is pumped from the drum through the unit ,It comes out at the temperature desired (adjustable knob) I,ve had this unit for four years, never had a problem.
These units are very popular with outdoors people, Most horse people have one hung in their horsebox, when attending gymkanas and Rodeos, pony clubs and need to change or shower., Made in Australia, excellent value for money, totally portable.
Ps; I have a screen around my cockpit, when showering. 3kgs of gas last approx 60 showers, I got from Ebay.
Lowey49er
Lidgard 25
ex Tassie.
Hmm.... this might not suit RC, but it certainly interests me

Don't suppose you know the make or model off hand?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 16:24   #36

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

The cheap ones look a little too portable. Would be okay on top of the boat I'd suggest but not something for inside. The more expensive ones are very expensive.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 16:32   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Good Morning RC,
I see no mention anywhere in the Glint info suggesting a holding tank is involved nor do you mention if your engine is FW or salt water cooled.

My Volvo is FW cooled via a heat exchanger . The FW flows - not neccesarily in this order but I think I have it right - FW circ pump on engine, Engine, heat exchanger within my calorifier/holding tank, sea water/engine water heat exchanger and back to the FW circ pump.

About 20 minutes and calorifier is full of hot water and can stay that way for a day and a halfish. Calorifier also has a 240v element in it so no probs with HW when in marinas.

On passage under sail no probs either as I run a 'no showers/nobody stinks on a submarine' regime.....

moving right along.... I have a Clegham Waring 'Seawarm' calorifier... don't ask me what the capacity is.. I have no idea.

Lots of interesting stuff at there site for FW or raw water cooled engines.. hope this helps
http://www.jabscoshop.com/itemimages...on%20Guide.pdf
I have a VP 2003T, fresh water cooled. The Glind is not meant to have a tank. It's meant to heat the water as it flows through it. But I find my coolant water simply doesn't get hot enough to do that. I had no warmth at all coming from it last year when I installed it. So I rang and spoke to the manafacturers who told me I had plumbed it into the wrong places. So I changed the outlet 'too' the Glind from the pipe immediately after the thermostat and that creates some warmth in the HW tap. But, you only have to have it on long enough to clear what's in the pipes and then it goes cold. Or rather tepid I guess. Certainly not warm enough to have a shower. Not down in this neck of the woods in winter.
Old 29-08-2015, 16:43   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hmm.... this might not suit RC, but it certainly interests me

Don't suppose you know the make or model off hand?
I think I'm gravitating towards an instant gas system. I just won't have it in the actual head as I'd run the danger of sucking all the air out of the head as well as the dangerous fumes.

HOTTAP - Portable LPG Hot Water Heater. Ideal For Camping, Caravans Or Washing Your Pets.

There's lots of different instant gas types available. All below $500 AUST

http://www.mytopia.com.au/free-ship-...hower-camping/
Old 29-08-2015, 16:57   #39
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Thanks for starting this tnread RC

Until today, I wasn't aware of the advances in PORTABLE instantaneous gas water heating.

Now all I have to do is fit a diesel air heater and a some portable gas hot water and be ready for summer cruising and oh, shovel that snow off the decks...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 17:10   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I tried the duet to and removed it straight away. Too much electricity (I only have 12v), too long to heat the water and not enough hot water as the new cold entering the 10L tank mixed with the hot water and quickly became tepid.
I installed a Bosch 10i in a sealed cupboard with an air intake and external flue. Bosch have a new small unit that is a sealed unit - Exhaust and intake are through the same flue. I have a solenoid on the gas. I also installed heat reflective materials around the system and a double skin flue. The emitted heat is much lower than expected. As the running time is so short you can still comfortably place your hand on the flue after running. It is warm at worst.
Well, that's the feed back I wanted. I'll avoid the Duet then.
Old 29-08-2015, 17:13   #41

Quote:

Until today, I wasn't aware of the advances in PORTABLE instantaneous gas water heating.

Now all I have to do is fit a diesel air heater and a some portable gas hot water and be ready for summer cruising and oh, shovel that snow off the decks...
Neither was I. I built a log cabin in the Huon Vally in the early 90's and I put in an instant gas heater that had a pilot light. From memory it cost around $4k and used a massive amount of gas when going. And it was noisy too.

For the boat it looks like common D cell battery units are all under $300. Ventilation seems the main issue.

From what I'm picking up, Thermomate, Country Comfort, Gecko are all the same thing with just different brandings.
Old 29-08-2015, 17:20   #42

Quote:

And re the diesel air heater. For the first time I've had my Webasco 2000 Diesel heater up and running. For my 36 footer, I personally think it wasn't powerful enough. Even with just the one outlet. This week when I was out on my own, I ran it all night and I still needed two blankets.
Old 29-08-2015, 23:46   #43

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Hey RC, if I am looking at the right device then what you have there is rated at 0.9 to 2.0 kW and if so then I am not surprised it is not coping. Particularly in those Tassie winters. I found a 2.4 kW column heater barely adequate for our main cabin in the Adelaide winter which is pretty mild by comparison. Fwiw there is also the Truman Combi D6 which does both hot water and hot air. It is rated at 6 kW and we had one in a large motor home in the North of Scotland in early spring and it coped very easily. I am really worried by gas on a boat, probably more than I should be but so be it.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-08-2015, 00:23   #44

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I have a VP 2003T, fresh water cooled. The Glind is not meant to have a tank. It's meant to heat the water as it flows through it. But I find my coolant water simply doesn't get hot enough to do that. I had no warmth at all coming from it last year when I installed it. So I rang and spoke to the manafacturers who told me I had plumbed it into the wrong places. So I changed the outlet 'too' the Glind from the pipe immediately after the thermostat and that creates some warmth in the HW tap. But, you only have to have it on long enough to clear what's in the pipes and then it goes cold. Or rather tepid I guess. Certainly not warm enough to have a shower. Not down in this neck of the woods in winter.
I am surprised by the fact that the Glind isn't working, the only one I saw was on a small boat with a diesel that could only have been 15-20 hp and he had boiling water from it in about 5 minutes. I don't know how his was hooked up, and I am not sure how I would hook one into my engine to get the maximum heat from it, but it seems tricky to fully bypass the heat exchanger on many yacht diesels?

Not sure what I'm going to do yet, for now just a kettle and solar shower. I had kind of hoped a glind would work, because it seems like a simple solution.. I do have a small LPG on demand unit in my shed, but now ive got a metho stove, it seems silly to add LPG. And since it's unflued I'd have to install it in a vented locker somewhere or have it as a portable unit in the cockpit.

I also like the idea of being able to reuse the wasted engine heat, rather than lugging around LPG tanks.

On the heating the boat issue, do you have much insulation? SNP1 was freezing before I insulated her, The diesel heater on full, and still cold, but with 45mm of foam insulation she was toasty. Had to keep the hatch open to stop from overheating. Even just cooking and body-heat warmed her up nicely in all but the worst tassie weather.

I will be interested to hear what ends up working for you. Those Kumaar force 10 hot water calorifiers look like good value, anybody know anything about them?
Old 30-08-2015, 00:28   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Hey RC, if I am looking at the right device then what you have there is rated at 0.9 to 2.0 kW and if so then I am not surprised it is not coping. Particularly in those Tassie winters. I found a 2.4 kW column heater barely adequate for our main cabin in the Adelaide winter which is pretty mild by comparison. Fwiw there is also the Truman Combi D6 which does both hot water and hot air. It is rated at 6 kW and we had one in a large motor home in the North of Scotland in early spring and it coped very easily. I am really worried by gas on a boat, probably more than I should be but so be it.

Matt
Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yep, I assumed when I purchased it that the heat coming off a demo model in the door of our chandler would be sufficient. And whilst it's pumping it out, it all disappears somewhere. Probably Just as well I won't be sailing a lot in Tasmanian Winters.

I know gas is a risk, but I and most already have gas for cooking, so I don't see anything different in that regards

Today I purchased this one to see how it will go. I suspect I can flue it to the head vent, but if not I'll place it under the forward hatch and open the hatch when we have a shower. lol. I won't need the pump, but for just $200 they can throw it in.

Instant LPG Portable GAS HOT Water Camp Shower Heater 4WD Caravan Horse DOG Wash | eBay

Tags
shower, water